716OutWest

22N Late Rifle

Hello,

I am new to the site, new to Elk hunting, and new to Arizona. I submitted into the draw this year and was drawn for the late rifle (11/26 - 12/2) bull hunt in 22N. Being somewhat newer to Arizona and new to Elk Hunting, I have been in contact with a few guides. However, after doing some research, I am not certain if I want to spend that kind of money for a not so elite hunt / unit. My concern is being new to Elk hunting, I recognize the learning curve and the difficulty of the Unit (from what I have read). ELk hunting is something that I hope to continue to pursue for years to come. I have been doing a lot of research on 22N and e-scouting some of the common spots and plan to spend a weekend doing some actual scouting sometime soon.

I have looked at everything from fully outfitted down to scouting packages. Also, I understand the weather can get tough that time of the year. Are most DIY hunters back-packing / tenting it, campers, or cabins? Thank you in advance for any insight and advice!

Welcome to the site, really tough hunts 22n has been wiped out we call it the 22 massacres hunt the pine trees by tonto village.,

38 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Welcome to the site, really tough hunts 22n has been wiped out we call it the 22 massacres hunt the pine trees by tonto village.,

Thank you for the response and advice! Looking forward to getting out there and familiarizing myself with the area. Will add that to my list. 

Do you own a tripod and decent optics? Can you shoot 400 yds effectively? Can you breakdown an elk on your own and carry a backpack weighing 80 lbs 2-3 miles 5-6 times... or conversely do you have a friend or 3 who are willing to show up and help pack 2-3 miles?

In terms of the hunt... the unit isn’t what it used to be. But there are still elk in almost all of it. In that unit there aren’t a ton of places to backpack or go real deep. But there is rough country and that’s where you will find the bulls that time of year.

Good luck, keep us posted.

• Like 3

Crowded, you will do better if you can get away from the roads and glass.  The bulls are not what they used to be, lots of raghorns and small bulls. But it is still a hoot to be able to hunt them!

On 5/9/2021 at 10:44 PM, Flatlander said:

Do you own a tripod and decent optics? Can you shoot 400 yds effectively? Can you breakdown an elk on your own and carry a backpack weighing 80 lbs 2-3 miles 5-6 times... or conversely do you have a friend or 3 who are willing to show up and help pack 2-3 miles?

In terms of the hunt... the unit isn’t what it used to be. But there are still elk in almost all of it. In that unit there aren’t a ton of places to backpack or go real deep. But there is rough country and that’s where you will find the bulls that time of year.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Flatlander , thank you for the response. Working on the above checklist. I do have some buddy’s that are planning to join in! Any experience using “scouting packages” from some of the guides? If there’s that many hunters, I feel like that may not be the best use of my budget considering spots may be occupied regardless. 

I'm not big on scouting packages, most of the time they tell you a water hole or area, and believe me they won't be hunting anywhere close with full pay clients. . At least in 22 there are some money well spent packages up north and for different species. Flatlander gave great advice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 716OutWest said:

Flatlander , thank you for the response. Working on the above checklist. I do have some buddy’s that are planning to join in! Any experience using “scouting packages” from some of the guides? If there’s that many hunters, I feel like that may not be the best use of my budget considering spots may be occupied regardless. 

I used a scouting package one time. It worked out but I am not sure I would do it again.

Honestly, you could just start hiking and scouting right now. Find places 1-2 miles from a road to glass from.

• Like 2

I've heard people say this unit sucks and it's been over hunted and it's too crowded etc. I drew the late season archery tag and have been scouting all summer and fall. I spent this past saturday watching 10-12 bulls in one area. If you know what to look for, it's pretty unreal. You also don't need to be able to shoot 400 yds. if you can get in close, and you don't need to spend a fortune on optics. Vortex diamondback 10x50's on a 100$ tripod found a pile of bulls for me. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Weather can be an issue there is always the chance of rain or snow on the late hunts I've got a trailer but you can tent if you wish we usually find a camp close to where we hunt and hike or take the sxs in way before first light.it was 17 degrees last year on my 6a muzzy hunt .trailer helped but froze the water tanks so no running water for days.good optics and a tripod help 10x42 or 10x50 or larger binos or a good spotting scope help.the elk will be pressured hard from all the early hunts .as stated lots of small or broken off racks .just remember you can't eat the horns !!look for the spots way back in food and water and less people.I'd spend your $ on more trips to scout and look than on guides.pick a grid and look .get some flatline maps or the GPS maps .the elk will light up first light you can usually see there hides shine in the sun and give there location away

• Like 1

18 hours ago, meatviabow said:

I've heard people say this unit sucks and it's been over hunted and it's too crowded etc. I drew the late season archery tag and have been scouting all summer and fall. I spent this past saturday watching 10-12 bulls in one area. If you know what to look for, it's pretty unreal. You also don't need to be able to shoot 400 yds. if you can get in close, and you don't need to spend a fortune on optics. Vortex diamondback 10x50's on a 100$ tripod found a pile of bulls for me. 

Let see what you see after the early hunts, don't strut to soon. The bulls know what time of year it is. Good luck

• Like 6

Yeah 22 bulls have a way of evaporating after the early hunts.  Late hunts are a whole different ball game.  They will not be where they are now.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, meatviabow said:

Please don't get cocky like this guy .most here are good guys and tho they may not walk you into there spots they will offer soild info.its easy to spot early elk as they begin the rut its also why the kids get first crack at them.Its to get them on animals and get them hooked.glass and scout and repeat in New spots have as many as you can they will move a lot between the time you hunt

• Like 2

If you're new to western hunting in general, I would say your money will be better spent on good gear before scouting packages and guide services. You won't need the most high end gear, but decent binos, and a great pack will save you a lot of pain and suffering.

I've had success and utter failure in 22N. Drew the late archery bull tag a few years ago and it was wicked cold.

By the time the late hunts roll around, the animals have had about all the pressure they can take. And why would bulls hang around 22N where there's roads and open terrain when there's a couple inhospitable wilderness areas just across the east fork?

Good luck, be in shape and shoot straight.

• Like 4