joohnnybgood

Shipping ammo

Just need a new 2021 ormD sticker. Ups and FedEx only and only some locations or the hub will accept it. No hazmat if it's assembled ammo

2nd above post.  
Hazmat is only required for primers and powder.  
Assembled ammo only requires ORM-D  

((Other Regulated Material Class D)

Hear is the simplest way to ship ammo.

Use UPS. Pack in tight and secure in the smallest box you can get away with. Use UPS flat rate as it is the least expensive way to go. Use ground shipping as shipping by air requires additional paper work. There is not additional Hazmat fee as mentioned earlier in a response. Print out the new placard which is a black diamond in a white box and place on the box. Only take it to the UPS freight office not one of the Private offices for shipping. Let them know it’s ammo. There is a weight limit on ammo, you can Google this but I have shipped up to 2 cases at a time with no issue. 

• Like 1

As a newly retired UPSer, the last post is incorrect.

First off, UPS doesn’t have a flat rate box.  You must mean USPS.  
Second, UPS freight and UPS are 2 different entities.   You must mean UPS customer counter.    If you’re shipping UPS freight you must have a pallet of ammo!!

20 minutes ago, Tradbow67 said:

As a newly retired UPSer, the last post is incorrect.

First off, UPS doesn’t have a flat rate box.  You must mean USPS.  
Second, UPS freight and UPS are 2 different entities.   You must mean UPS customer counter.    If you’re shipping UPS freight you must have a pallet of ammo!!

Last I saw, it's illegal to ship ammo via the USPS. Only options are UPS or Fedex. 

Domestically Prohibited Items

These items may not be sent in U.S. mail:

• Air Bags
  • Ammunition
  • Explosives
  • Gasoline
  • Marijuana (medical or otherwise)

1 hour ago, Tradbow67 said:

Correct.  I was only correcting the post concerning the difference between UPS and UPS freight.  

I know, and I was just attempting to clarify so no one thinks they can use the flat rate when no ammo shipping is actually available at the USPS .  👍

• Like 1

I have been out of town and just returned. I clearly said:

UPS NOT USPS. UPS DOES HAVE A FLAT RATE. YOU USE YOUR OWN BOX. UPS  flat rate shipping is called Simple rate. Look it up. You can ship ammo less than a pallet. Your complete posting is wrong with the exception of not being able to ship by USPS. Just go to the UPS website and have a look. If you are going to call someone out get your facts straight otherwise you spread misinformation to those looking for help.I have shipped lots of individual boxes of ammo and stick by my post.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/services/shipping/simple-rate.page 

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/hazardous-materials/shipping-ammunition.page

First off I’d like to apologize to Phil Carr.  
You are correct.  Simple rate was for businesses only when I retired.   And the UPS customer counter is considered a business account.   So yes, UPS does have a flat rate and it has very competitive pricing!!

But, UPS small package and UPS freight are not the same.  They are still and always will be 2 separate entities.  

When I shipped my ammo I personally used UPS.
"UPS accepts for transportation such ammunition as constitutes "cartridges, small arms," as defined in 49 C.F.R. § 173.59. All other allowable ammunition shipments are accepted only on a contractual basis, and must be prepared under the rules for a fully regulated hazardous material.

Ammunition will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. § 172 (Hazardous Materials), and must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials. To meet the exception for Limited Quantity, ammunition can be shipped via UPS Ground only within the 48 contiguous United States, UPS Ground Intra-Oahu and Intra-Alaska.

To qualify as Cartridges, small arms "Limited Quantity", ammunition must be:

• Ammunition that does not exceed 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol cartridges or 8 gauge for shotgun shells; or
  • Ammunition with inert projectiles or blank ammunition"

some info from UPS website.
However some parts that are not ammo, but the once I needed for hunting I purchased many times from aliexpress. I use extension for that (to control the prices on the products and to track the parcel. They also have a nice blog with useful info like this article https://alitools.io/en/blog/can-you-use-paypal-on-aliexpress/.