Non-Typical Solutions

Any bets? Fill in the blank!

41 minutes ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/richmond-gas-station-charges-6-99-a-gallon-amid-shortage

Curtis Reed...........how is this for moral authority :) 

Richmond gas station charges $6.99 a gallon amid gasoline shortage

Well they are making a profit so I guess according to some, that makes them smart!

53 minutes ago, briant_az said:

Well they are making a profit so I guess according to some, that makes them smart!

There's also a little thing called profiteering which is illegal. I wouldn't be surprised if the law went after that gas station. 

Edit: I posted before I finished the article. 

1 hour ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/richmond-gas-station-charges-6-99-a-gallon-amid-shortage

Curtis Reed...........how is this for moral authority :) 

Richmond gas station charges $6.99 a gallon amid gasoline shortage

Hey man... if you're expecting a response you might have to check the Classified forum. Apparently he likes to make his passive aggressive responses there....? 🤷‍♂️

Screenshot_20210514-111455_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Desertguide said:

Hey man... if you're expecting a response you might have to check the Classified forum. Apparently he likes to make his passive aggressive responses there....? 🤷‍♂️

Screenshot_20210514-111455_Samsung Internet.jpg

I can honestly say when I had my 79 for I actually did keep a spare thermostat, water pump and carburetor on hand :) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Desertguide said:

There's also a little thing called profiteering which is illegal. I wouldn't be surprised if the law went after that gas station. 

Edit: I posted before I finished the article. 

There is also a thing called the free market. If you are willing to pay 6.99 a gallon then go for it. If you don’t like it, go to the next station but don’t call police because they are charging too much.  Do you think it’s ok for people to sell pickup trucks at 50% markup??  If yes, why can’t gas station charge more for gas?

I don’t like people who tell others what to do based on their convictions. You’re the one who called people “pieces of ch1t” for buying more baby wipes than they need.  Are they pieces of ch1t?  are they really?

Just my $0.02 though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, briant_az said:

If you understand how the free market works, they might make more, but will probably make less. Very few people are likely willing to pay $7 a gal for gas. Yeah, a few might but most customers will drive past. So the free market will then show the owner that he is charging more than the market will pay and lose customers. Plus, locals will remember this and likely not patronize them in the future. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Curtis Reed said:

There is also a thing called the free market. If you are willing to pay 6.99 a gallon then go for it. If you don’t like it, go to the next station but don’t call police because they are charging too much.  Do you think it’s ok for people to sell pickup trucks at 50% markup??  If yes, why can’t gas station charge more for gas?

I don’t like people who tell others what to do based on their convictions. You’re the one who called people “pieces of ch1t” for buying more baby wipes than they need.  Are they pieces of ch1t?  are they really?

Just my $0.02 though. 

You should read the article he shared. Sounds like the gas station is being investigated. 

I don't know what to tell you. If you don't know the difference between charging market value and price gouging... any explanation I give for my comment will fall on deaf ears. 

I can only think of one type of person that would be offended by me calling hoarders POS's.

16 minutes ago, Desertguide said:

You should read the article he shared. Sounds like the gas station is being investigated. 

I don't know what to tell you. If you don't know the difference between charging market value and price gouging... any explanation I give for my comment will fall on deaf ears. 

I can only think of one type of person that would be offended by me calling hoarders POS's.

The market dictates market value. Not me or you. If he is charging higher than market value, he will not sell any gas (or not as much gas).  He will lose business, lose revenue and change prices accordingly.  Not to mention the customers who will not patronize the station in the future because of these prices. No one is forcing anyone to buy that gas @ $6.99. No one has a gun to their heads.  It not like a power company tripling their prices when you have no options or choice on where to buy power. I can see arguments in that example. But gas? Go buy somewhere else if it’s too expensive. 

18 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

I’m going to buy 2 extra sheets of plywood tomorrow when i’m at Lowe’s just to irritate the masses. 

Taking a second mortgage out on your home to buy the plywood? Fair question now days.

13 minutes ago, Curtis Reed said:

The market dictates market value. Not me or you. If he is charging higher than market value, he will not sell any gas (or not as much gas).  He will lose business, lose revenue and change prices accordingly.  Not to mention the customers who will not patronize the station in the future because of these prices. No one is forcing anyone to buy that gas @ $6.99. No one has a gun to their heads. 

Free market econimics work only when there is enough supply to meet the demand for a particular product.  I'm guessing the seller is also trying to conserve his supply by maintaining a higher than normal price. Gas has extremely low margins, so if he's making a real killing per gallon, he doesn't need to sell as many gals. to make the same profit as if his prices were in the mainstream. 

• Like 1

The market will dictate value during low demand (prices drop) or high demand (prices go up). That’s exactly how supply and demand works.. That exactly how a free market works.  

Example - Ford trucks. There is way more demand than supply. The result is people paying a ton more money for a truck than they did last year.  Sucks for the lower class consumer who is priced out of a truck now, but that’s how it works.  There is a current shortage of chicken wings in the US and they are expensive right now. I’m not happy about that but supply and demand drive prices up. That’s just how it works.  I guess we will just agree to disagree.

Good debate though. 

11 minutes ago, trophyseeker said:

Free market econimics work only when there is enough supply to meet the demand for a particular product. 

9 minutes ago, Curtis Reed said:

The market dictates market value. Not me or you. If he is charging higher than market value, he will not sell any gas (or not as much gas).  He will lose business, lose revenue and change prices accordingly.  Not to mention the customers who will not patronize the station in the future because of these prices. No one is forcing anyone to buy that gas @ $6.99. No one has a gun to their heads. 

Then why is price gouging illegal? 

And explain this one to me... why did stores start limiting toilet paper, baby wipes and hand sanitizer to two per customer? What do they care who buys what and how many? 

12 minutes ago, Curtis Reed said:

The market will dictate value during low demand (prices drop) or high demand (prices go up). That’s exactly how supply and demand works.. That exactly how a free market works.  

Example - Ford trucks. There is way more demand than supply. The result is people paying a ton more money for a truck than they did last year.  Sucks for the lower class consumer who is priced out of a truck now, but that’s how it works.  There is a current shortage of chicken wings in the US and they are expensive right now. I’m not happy about that but supply and demand drive prices up. That’s just how it works.  I guess we will just agree to disagree.

Good debate though. 

You just made my point. They can't pay higher prices for trucks if no one has them. And when someone does have a truck to sell, that seller get to dictate how much it will sell for. This guy is doing just that with the gas he ALREADY has in his underground tanks - that same gas that people can't buy elsewhere & wouldl like to have in their car's gas tank. 

BTW, you might have missed this in my last reply because I edited it while you were replying:

I'm guessing the seller is also trying to conserve his supply by maintaining a higher than normal price. Gas has extremely low margins, so if he's making a real killing per gallon, he doesn't need to sell as many gals. to make the same profit as if his prices were in the mainstream.