Sign in to follow this  
Curtis Reed

Need glassing gear advice

Everyone love gear talk, right?

So piggybacking on my previous lightweight rifle thread, (thanks for all the suggestions btw) I need some more gear advice.  After exclusively bow hunting for the past 20 years, I want to hunt some backcountry Coues and elk with a rifle.  Because glassing wasn’t too important with my style of bow hunting I just own a budget pair of 10x42’s. I need help getting setup to glass.  Not sure what my budget is but I am not cheap, but also don’t need “top of the line”.  I’d probably be happy with Mid tier stuff.  For budget comparison, I ended up with a Kimber Hunter Pro, Talley Rings and VX5-HD for rifle/scope ($2k).  

A good quality pair of binos and lightweight tripod?  Power/Objective size? I already have a Swaro tripod head mount so I’d probably go with swaro?  Used?

My #1 consideration is weight.  I won’t be anywhere near motorized travel and will be backpacking in. Has to be lightweight.  Which is how I ended up with a Kimber rifle which probably wouldn’t have been my choice if weight wasn’t the main consideration. 

• Like 1

Since they will be used more than anything else, id suggest the 10x42 Swaro NL pure. They weigh nothing and are the best of the best. Possibly even the 12x42. I love mine.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Since they will be used more than anything else, id suggest the 10x42 Swaro NL pure. They weigh nothing and are the best of the best. Possibly even the 12x42. I love mine.

He said he didn’t need top of the line! Lol

• Like 2

A pair of SLC’s or meopta meostars are solid for what you’re looking at doing. I would definitely get a 12x50 in the meostars if you go that route. I wouldn’t worry about weight so much as you’ll more than likely be carrying them on your chest. You can’t go wrong with anything swaro so if you find a reasonably priced set of EL’s that would be another good option.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, desertmafia21 said:

None of us NEED. But it sure is nice! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I wouldnt buy the 12x50 to save weight, the meoptas 12s are only 3 or 4 ounces lighter then their 15 x 56. 

The meopta 10 x 42 or zeiss 10 x 42 are real nice for the money and you can get them gently used for a fraction of retail. They will be 750 to 1200.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, desertmafia21 said:

He will want them later, so why not get them the first time.

• Like 9

I own older  top end Nikons, Zeiss and various other optics. The Nikon LXL's are lightweight and with the exception of the swaro EL's have optics that will compete with anyone's glass. I have the Zeiss Victorys which are very light weight but their optics aren't as good as the NIkons. I have yet to see what I considered a lightweight pair of 15's.

A guy that knows how to glass with 10's on a tripod can do lots of damage .Desertguide can take a pair of 10's and find more deer than most guys with 15's. 12's and a tripod might work? My issue with 12's is hand shake. I see no advantage for me to use 12's since I have to use a tripod with them. 75%  of my glassing is done with hand held 10s, the rest is either 15s or a zeiss diascope on  a tripod.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, creed said:

I own older  top end Nikons, Zeiss and various other optics. The Nikon LXL's are lightweight and with the exception of the swaro EL's have optics that will compete with anyone's glass. I have the Zeiss Victorys which are very light weight but their optics aren't as good as the NIkons. I have yet to see what I considered a lightweight pair of 15's.

A guy that knows how to glass with 10's on a tripod can do lots of damage .Desertguide can take a pair of 10's and find more deer than most guys with 15's. 12's and a tripod might work? My issue with 12's is hand shake. I see no advantage for me to use 12's since I have to use a tripod with them. 75%  of my glassing is done with hand held 10s, the rest is either 15s or a zeiss diascope on  a tripod.

Great info thank you

If you're pack in hunting, I'd go as light as possible. Like firstcoueswas80 said, you're gonna end up wanting Swaros at some point so might as well start there if you can afford it. He's 100% right.

My last pack trip was 7 miles into a desert wilderness. I was carrying enough for 7 days minus water which was packed in prior to the hunt. I had 8's on my chest and 15's and a spotter in my pack. There was no getting away from carrying all of it on that hunt but if I could have left anything behind it would have been the 8's and the spotter. 99% of your time will be on your butt behind glass on a tripod. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, creed said:

I wish that was still the case Creed. Now I need readers to pee... lol

4 minutes ago, Desertguide said:

If you're pack in hunting, I'd go as light as possible. Like firstcoueswas80 said, you're gonna end up wanting Swaros at some point so might as well start there if you can afford it. He's 100% right.

My last pack trip was 7 miles into a desert wilderness. I was carrying enough for 7 days minus water which was packed in prior to the hunt. I had 8's on my chest and 15's and a spotter in my pack. There was no getting away from carrying all of it on that hunt but if I could have left anything behind it would have been the 8's and the spotter. 99% of your time will be on your butt behind glass on a tripod. 

Great advice thanks

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Desertguide said:

I wish that was still the case Creed. Now I need readers to pee... lol

throw in some cataracts and glaucoma. You'll need more than readers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1