Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Lefthand Rifles

So next hunting season my older son will be of age to hunt here in AZ assuming he gets his HSC done. 

He is right handed, but left eye dominant. He has been learning to shoot lefty. I don't own any lefty rifles, and don't really have many "kid friendly" calibers for him to shoot for deer/elk even in Righty rifles. 

What rifles are you using for your lefty shooters? I am ok with paying for somewhat nice things for him, so it doesn't need to be cheap. He isn't getting a full custom though either. 

What calibers are you using for your kids? 

I am also right handed, left eye dominant. Personally, I shoot lefty, with right handed rifles (Tikka T3 and X-Bolt). Both have the safeties in a good spot and I'm not planning to change to a lefty specific rifle. 

As far as kid-friendly calibers, I have no experience with that. I'm sure others could chime in, though. 

My youngest boy is left eye dominant but i have him using a righty rifle left handed and he drilled his first deer last year.  

With all the factory ammo out there the 7-08 and the 6.5cm have a wide variety of choices.   Hornady makes a 150 grain for the 7-08 and also nakes a 147 for the 6.5.  And you can get lots of choices down to 129 grain i think for both calibers.  Cant go wrong with either, wait to see the best black friday deal and go for it  

1 hour ago, dmoto said:

I am also right handed, left eye dominant. Personally, I shoot lefty, with right handed rifles (Tikka T3 and X-Bolt). Both have the safeties in a good spot and I'm not planning to change to a lefty specific rifle. 

As far as kid-friendly calibers, I have no experience with that. I'm sure others could chime in, though. 

Are you lefty shooters using right hand rifles because you want to, or because it is what you have?

I am looking at buying him a lefty rifle, because this will end up being his rifle. Not something of mine he will be borrowing. 

Im right handed and left eye dominant. My Dad got me a savage 99 lever action 243 when I was a kid. Ive shot lever action ever since. I have on occasion shot right handed bolt. I felt awkward using my left hand when I tried a left handed bolt. 

• Like 1

I am right handed and have shot that way my whole life. I didn't know I was left eye dominant until I was about 40 and I have zero problems shooting right handed.

• Like 1

I am left eye dominant and have been aware of it all of my adult life.  My primary hunting rifles are left handed but I have not had any problems harvesting with right handed rifles as long as the stock is ambidextrous in design.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PRDATR said:

I am right handed and have shot that way my whole life. I didn't know I was left eye dominant until I was about 40 and I have zero problems shooting right handed.

My son's cross eyed dominance is compounded by the fact he doesn't have the ability to blink/close his eyes independently very well. He is working on it, but mostly they are open or closed. He can't fully wink his eyes independently. 

He inherited this lovely opposite eye dominance and blinking problem from his mother. His life brother has it too, but he has somewhat better single eyelid control. 

• Like 1

I am right handed but left eye dominate and had no problem shooting a right hand long gun.  It is more of an issue when I shoot a right handed bow but I have learned to shoot with both eyes open.  My son is left handed and shoots right handed rifles and has not had problems.  He is just used to it like so many other things south paws have to get used to in a right handed world.

Hoss50  "His life brother has it too, but he has somewhat better single eyelid control. "

I have never heard the term life brother and even googled it to see what I was missing.  Nothing came up.  Care to explain what a life brother is?  I'm guess it is something other than a regular biological brother?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, knothead said:

I am right handed but left eye dominate and had no problem shooting a right hand long gun.  It is more of an issue when I shoot a right handed bow but I have learned to shoot with both eyes open.  My son is left handed and shoots right handed rifles and has not had problems.  He is just used to it like so many other things south paws have to get used to in a right handed world.

Hoss50  "His life brother has it too, but he has somewhat better single eyelid control. "

I have never heard the term life brother and even googled it to see what I was missing.  Nothing came up.  Care to explain what a life brother is?  I'm guess it is something other than a regular biological brother?

Fat fingers and auto correct. 

Little brother is what it is supposed to say. 😂👍

Hey hoss... so I went  into sportsmans warehouse and ordered my daughter a left handed ruger American predator in 6.5 CM. They shipped to the local store here in town because they had one at another location and I went and picked it up. She is left handed and left eye dominant. I ended up getting  the predator because it comes threaded that way  I could just spin a break on it for her. She's been shooting it since she was 9 with ease. 

• Like 1

I've used the Savage 99C 308 with a thumb safety most of my life. Most of us old fart lefties learned to shoot a right handed bolt gun so a left handed bolt feels weird to use now. If you start him out with it then he should be good. 

• Like 1