Sign in to follow this  
turkeyneck

pack equipment for mules

Get ahold of Steve Edwards out of Queen Valley Mule Ranch. Probably one of the best sources for mule tack there is. Makes a lot specific tack just for mules. 

Chris tornow would be my pick. I built my own pack saddle but bought his half breed and his britchen for my riding saddle. Really good work. 

AC854AC0-2703-4089-AC85-B371B6655B71.jpeg

I have Deckers and Sawbucks. They each have their advantage and drawbacks. Board fit is essential.

I came by my last mule due to someone fitting the beast poorly and causing enough discomfort the mule exploded and ducked off into the wilderness.

I bought my decker from https://packsaddleshop.com years ago. Rich is a pretty helpful guy and the leather he uses is top notch.
I ordered modified bronze arches on a Ray Holes tree back before he regularly offered them.

also try

http://www.outfitterspackstation.com/index.html Fruitland Idaho. Wade is a super guy I met on a charity trail ride years ago.

I don’t have any experience with those form fitting pack saddle trees but he is a believer and I trust him.

and there is always Chris at Cowboy Corner in phx he occasionally has panniers although he sends most of his pack gear to his Dad’s (Doug) store at their Prescott location.

Those Iron Cloth (aka Bear Cloth) panniers are real nice

High Country Plactics Caldwell, Idaho makes a good hard pannier and inserts for your soft ones. They have lots of distributors around.

• Like 1

If you want some odds and ends I have a sawbuck set up I can sell along with some Manty  set ups and a top H pack canvas and maybe some other stuff. Let me know if you want to see some stuff. Oh and I have a set of huge army canvas panniers. You could stuff me and edge in these easy. 

On 5/17/2021 at 12:39 PM, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

If you want some odds and ends I have a sawbuck set up I can sell along with some Manty  set ups and a top H pack canvas and maybe some other stuff. Let me know if you want to see some stuff. Oh and I have a set of huge army canvas panniers. You could stuff me and edge in these easy. 

Mike if he don't get back to ya I'll take the sawbucks and.panniers especially

I’ll high jack this one.    Just getting into packing myself.  Picked up two great mules from an old outfitter back in November.  Kids and I have been riding them, I’ve gone out solo and ponyed the other.  No issues. I have never packed in my life sooo My question is decker or sawbuck and why.  Next is pannier.  Utah style, soft, box, aluminum, hard, and do I need a top pack,(was thinking that’s where backpacks will strap down at)?    This should be a fun and exciting yr with them.  Bonus my son drew a late 23 bull tag so figured in this the perfect pack out unit.    Thanks for any advice 

The Deckers I've used were a lot better built and more comfortable for the beast. I think its easier for one person to lift up a pannier and attach it to a Decker than a sawbuck. But in some instances a sawbuck tree makes for a good spot to carry tent poles or a cot. I've used them to hang bow scabbards, too.

Plastic panniers can be configured in camp as a nice cook station. Many are manufactured for attaching legs and making a table or stove top. The plastic panniers can act like pontoons. One of the Cowboys I packed with found that out when his pack horse broke away on Sheep Bridge over the Verde. They were almost across the bridge when his pack horse, Elvis spun around and raced back across the bridge and decided to swim across. The hard panniers kept him afloat and relatively dry too when he came ashore 1/4 mile downstream.

The fabric panniers can be rolled up and put away on a ride if not in use. But they will wear out eventually.

You can always fabricate your own panniers for specific needs like wood with a shelf for carrying salt blocks, battery etc 

Good info. Thank you.  How about broad fitting packsaddles you mentioned earlier.  The two beasts I have are built completely different.  Going to check out a used sawbuck tomorrow.  What can I look for?   

The humane boards that transverse across the animals back and ribcage need to be built at the same angle as the animals body. Has to sit flat to distribute weight and not pinch or dig in. 

For a proper fit you need to put it on the animals back. What kind of rigging; leather, biothane? Look for quality and wear.

Ignore that guy hiding behind the pony86021525_Capture_2020-11-04-09-02-54.thumb.png.e448e895d6f3c3427e605257137fae38.png

Good to know.   Maybe he’ll let me  purchase to fit check with option to return.   Thanks again 

It's got to fit right so maybe put a deposit down.