Sign in to follow this  
Couzer

Backhoe question??? Need some help thx

Hey not even sure where to ask this question? Not hunting related but a friend of mine borrowed a CAT backhoe to rip some stumps out. The bucket broke, I think I found a used bucket. My question is will a 12” pin on bucket (not a QD) interchange from a CAT to a CASE? 

65E5296B-739F-40DA-9E45-BD4E76F35B94.jpeg

71D4B4EB-EB96-42EF-AD9E-A864C628A2F8.jpeg

B9E9C0D0-1878-4166-BC55-2F45B214236C.jpeg

FB3A3FC9-4ECC-4A27-BB11-C012DE6AFC61.jpeg

If I were you my first stop would be to a local welding/fabrication shop in your area to see what they'd charge me to make and weld up a new ear. 

Or

Give Empire Cat a call in the am.

Or

Check out this site. It tells you the measurements you need to concern yourself with.  https://rhinox-group.com/blogs/news/which-bucket-fits-my-digger-are-digger-buckets-universal

Hope that helps

Best of luck to your friend.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, HorseHunter said:

If I were you my first stop would be to a local welding/fabrication shop in your area to see what they'd charge me to make and weld up a new ear. 

Or

Give Empire Cat a call in the am.

Or

Check out this site. It tells you the measurements you need to concern yourself with.  https://rhinox-group.com/blogs/news/which-bucket-fits-my-digger-are-digger-buckets-universal

Hope that helps

Best of luck to your friend.

Thank you

And by looking at that one side, it is hard to imagine the other ear isn't messed up too. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HorseHunter said:

And by looking at that one side, it is hard to imagine the other ear isn't messed up too. 

It is, and I was able to tell the difference from your link. They are different size pins and different size spacing from the ears. Thanks again

• Like 2

I would definitely explore the option of having it repaired depending on the overall condition of the bucket. Magma Engineering is one place you could have take a look at it. 

• Like 1

Another thing, is that if you can put that Case bucket on that Cat back hoe, their teeth might not be interchangeable. I don't know. It might not matter, unless the owner has a bunch of Cat teeth laying around.

• Like 1

Usually you can  get used buckets.

Try rental yrds. They should have spares around 

Cat and case not interchangeable 

Check n ebay  .

Check local construction auctions

• Like 1

That must have been one heck of a stump, or the bucket was on its way out already. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ctafoya said:

That must have been one heck of a stump, or the bucket was on its way out already. 

Judging by the picture that bucket had seen it’s better days before your friend even though about borrowing it. And no they are not interchangeable.

21 minutes ago, 360 0r Better said:

Judging by the picture that bucket had seen it’s better days before your friend even though about borrowing it. And no they are not interchangeable.

Unfortunately this is a farm backhoe and I’m sure it was rigged a few times to stay on. I found this case bucket for $200 and that’s a deal I think, a lot cheaper than fixing the CAT bucket. But unfortunately the case has different size pins and the gap between the ears are different. 

Fairly easy to guess how he tore it apart.

One is supose to dig it up a stump,   not try to tear it out.

Cheaper to rent a stump grinder .

The one bucket is a one pin , easy change bucket. The boom has an adapter already pinned in. Makes it real easy for one guy to do it by himself.

The other you have to attach bucket to boom with 2 pins.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, elkaholic said:

Fairly easy to guess how he tore it apart.

One is supose to dig it up a stump,   not try to tear it out.

Cheaper to rent a stump grinder .

The one bucket is a one pin , easy change bucket. The boom has an adapter already pinned in. Makes it real easy for one guy to do it by himself.

The other you have to attach bucket to boom with 2 pins.

I agree on the quick hitch option, it is the 2 pin bucket. This friend is my father-in-law that thinks in his old ways. Probably causes more problems and money spent on things that doesn’t need to be. Sometimes I wonder why I even offer to help? 

• Haha 1