Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Side by Side Recommendations

For those of you who have experience in the side by side area I am looking for recommendations! 

Most important for my wife.......does it have a heater :)!

Looking for a 4 seater!

Polaris? Honda? Saw an Axis 500 at Lowes yesterday?

Not interested in anything Razor type although I really have no experience at all regarding the market and what is available other that what I see up for sale on CWT!

Me I just want something reliable with 4X4 power! I have included a picture because I like the enclosed look but this picture of course is not a 4 seater! 

Thanks for any input!!!

Gallery - Pioneer 1000 1

2021-pioneer-1000-gallery-07-750x750.webp

What Curtis said.

Just my experience, but if you enclose it, you might not need a heater. I have the teryx 4 and am super happy with it. I built my own enclosure and find that it is plenty warm in the winter. I have only had it out in the high 20s low 30s, but it was good enough for my wife. it was not HOT inside, but it was "comfortable".  Once the engine heats up of course.

and I am a BIG fan of a glass windshield

20210122_115304.jpg.5fbffbedfce0cfde2978100fd6b4c025.jpg

• Like 2

I have owned a couple Rangers and now have a General. I really like it alot, the ride is great and it has decent storage. I added a cargo rack which gives it plenty of space for most trips. The Ranger has a fantastic amount of storage and I have had them in some crazy places. Not as comfortable of a machine but they are very nice. A heater can be really nice on a cold, windy day in the winter!

• Like 1

I for one had said in the past I would never buy a UTV, but we bought a General a few months ago and really enjoy it, I wanted one with a bed plus wanted doors and 1000cc, sporty yet offroadish if you know what I mean.....we own a few ATV's and still have them but like riding in the General, My wife usually drives while I look around for animals and stuff, we have been out while ~16 degrees with no heater, didn't need it really, have a windshield works fine, bundle up and you will be fine! 

• Like 1

I have a Honda pioneer 1000-5. I wanted seating for 5 but also bed space. This works good because the overall length is only about 10’6”. For us, we have 3 or less people 75% of the time so the jump seats are only for family joy riding.

For our uses going 5 mph down steep rocky trails is a lot more important than going 80 mph in a sandy wash bottom. Having a real transmission, selectable 4wd and lockers is more important than turbos and 30” of travel. But that’s our needs. 

I have a 2021 Polaris 570 crew. Heater. Canvas doors. Full glass windshield. Havent been able to use it fully during the winter but I can't wait to not have cold wind blowing on us. 

Top speed is right around 50 mph. I personally like the more narrow width on the 570 mid size model along with the shorter wheel base. Better on narrow 2 track roads. 

• Like 2

I have had them and will stick with cherokee xj. heat ac drive with no trialer, air lockers and lift. unstoppable.   and no dust....02

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

I've heard that as well......thanks!!!

But there’s slow as heck and not nearly as reliable over constant rough terrain 

• Like 4

Here’s my rig Max is a beast :)9BF64304-7575-4343-AA63-F810AC21C546.thumb.jpeg.e188fa2023e47e4a5c3c600d14a5adfb.jpeg

5476A7F2-A249-424C-BF2C-DF7EF41CF4BA.jpeg

• Like 1

If you buy one without hard doors, find an aftermarket set.  Hard doors with a full windshield is a game changer.  Blocks most of the "draft", keeps mud etc from coming in, plus it keeps the engine heat in for when its cold.  That being said, it is definitely warmer in the summer, get a ventable windshield for sure.  I put them on my XP1000 and love it.

• Like 3

Get a back window to, really helps with the dust!

• Like 1

My 2019 ranger xp1000 backcountry crew has been great!  I really like my fold down windshield, it's gives you the option of air in your face or not.  That makes a huge difference in cold weather. and led light bulbs and light bar.  Definitely nice to have the extra light at night.  It's really nice to have a ton of storage space even if there only 2 or 3 riding.  The dust can be annoying.

PXL_20201107_183815944.jpg

• Like 1

I have had 5 Polaris rigs including a Ranger and I have a Rzr 1000 right now just for riding in the desert by our house. I quit using them for hunting and went back to using the small Suzuki’s. They have heat, air, security, no dust, and I drive it to where I’m hunting. I can’t seem to flip it and they seldom break. I have ridden in a General with the full cab with heat and it was pretty nice.

• Like 1