Sign in to follow this  
el diablo

Tipping guides

Know it’s been talked about before but Wife, son and I are doin a guided black bear hunt in Wyoming. What’s the standard operating proceedure and how much?  Thanks

Depending on outfit, tipping 10-15% of package price. 50-75% of that amount to guide, rest to cooks, cleaners, etc.

• Like 1

I usually tip guides 10-15% min. of the guide fees plus tip any drivers 250-500 plus tip cooks any where from 500-1000 pending on the amount of cooks and the length of the hunt.

• Wow! 1

Is that what is expected?  around $1,000 in tips as a starting point? wow! 👆

I tip based on their service.  I know most people just expect to get tipped, but sometimes they do not deserve it.  If the guide met my expectations, he usually gets 10%-15%.  If he exceeded it, I will bump it up to 20%.  If he sucked, he gets nothing but advice on how to do better next time, with someone else, not me.  

• Like 2

What you feel comfortable with, I hate when its expected I cook all the time and a 10 day hunt comes with a steak and lobster and crab leg dinner. I expect nothing, but normally do real good $ and give it to the guide who normally makes $7.50 an hr if you add up all his time and gas. Enjoy the hunt first and foremost ,

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

I cook all the time and a 10 day hunt comes with a steak and lobster and crab leg dinner.

Sounds like you're hired as the cook on my next hunt.

• Like 3

would the same go for fishing guides?

13 hours ago, longshooter said:

I usually tip guides 10-15% min. of the guide fees plus tip any drivers 250-500 plus tip cooks any where from 500-1000 pending on the amount of cooks and the length of the hunt.

Can I start cooking for you Larry. I will come to your House !.............BOB!

Most hunters don't believe they should tip after the guide service cost. Or don't even know there supposed to.

• Like 1