Sign in to follow this  
Edge

139 Years Ago Today

17390726_117212126668.jpg.2fad1e4d754172cceb3ada6ff475267c.jpg

Hunt Canyon, Cochise County, AZ.

zwing.jpg.7ba3c3383d176e8b1d5afc7b11662fc9.jpg

Richard “Zwing” Hunt was a freighter turned outlaw who was killed by Indians.

Born to Thomas W. and Mary Ann Elizabeth Hunt on March 29, 1858, in Burnett County, Texas, Zwing was the first of six children. In May 1880, Zwing and his family learned that his older half-brother, who had begun a freight hauling business between Tombstone, Arizona, and Hillsboro, New Mexico had been killed by Indians. He then traveled there to bring back the freighting equipment, but on his arrival, he decided to take over the business instead. In short order, he also hooked up with a number of desperate characters including the Clanton Gang and a man named Billy Grounds.

On March 25, 1882, he and Grounds attempted to rob the Tombstone Mining and Milling Company in Charleston, Arizona. After being challenged, they shot and killed a man before panicking and taking off without a dime. Within no time, U.S. Deputy Marshal William Breakenridge gathered a posse and began to track the two killers. Finding them at the Jack Chandler Ranch near Tombstone, a gunfight ensued. Though it lasted only seconds, when the smoke cleared, Breakenridge had killed Billy Grounds and Zwing Hunt had been wounded.

Unfortunately, one of the deputized men, John Gillespie, was also dead. The other two posse members were wounded but would recover. Due to the seriousness of his wounds, Hunt was placed in a hospital unguarded. In the meantime, the family, concerned over his activities had sent his brother, Hugh, to bring him home. On April 28, 1882, Hugh helped Zwing to escape and the pair hid out in the nearby mountains. However, on May 31st, they were surprised by Apache Indians, who shot and killed Zwing. His brother was able to escape.

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/richard-hunt/

• Like 10
  • Wow! 1

Been past this exact spot many times. Very interesting history all throughout these mountains. That stone was actually moved sometime later from its original spot by woodcutters many decades ago. Was coming back to camp late one night on the quad and almost hit a bear as it ran right in front of me. Crapped my pants that night!

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

1 hour ago, duxngeez said:

Thanks Edge, I always appreciate the history lessons you share. Very cool read!  Thanks again. 

Thanks.

Here's another good read on Swing Hunt. Took a big pair to cross the Clanton Gang...

https://truewestmagazine.com/article/zwing-hunt/

Interesting. I always thought he died in Hunt Canyon SW of the Chiricahuas. Thats where the head stone is now. Even the old topo maps have the sight in Hunt Canyon marked as "grave."

25 minutes ago, zackcarp said:

Interesting. I always thought he died in Hunt Canyon SW of the Chiricahuas. Thats where the head stone is now. Even the old topo maps have the sight in Hunt Canyon marked as "grave."

Been past this exact spot many times. Very interesting history all throughout these mountains. That stone was actually moved sometime later from its original spot by woodcutters many decades ago. Was coming back to camp late one night on the quad and almost hit a bear as it ran right in front of me. Crapped my pants that night!

I don't think anyone for certain knows where he died, where he's buried. There's a plausible theory that his death at the hands of Apaches was just a rouse and he escaped to TX.

Being a fugitive wanted for murder surely there was a price on his head, dead or alive.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, My Rights As An American said:

Been past this exact spot many times. Very interesting history all throughout these mountains. That stone was actually moved sometime later from its original spot by woodcutters many decades ago. Was coming back to camp late one night on the quad and almost hit a bear as it ran right in front of me. Crapped my pants that night!

Where were you when you came across the headstone?

5 minutes ago, My Rights As An American said:

30a

Canyon?

14 minutes ago, My Rights As An American said:

I would have to look it up. 

Last question, sir; where did you learn the headstone was moved? I read that also on a Facebook group last week.