Sign in to follow this  
Viper

Flying with a large hunting backpack? How do you do it?

I have an opportunity to go on my nephew's Idaho backpack bear hunt in a few weeks. I will fly to Seattle to start our trip. Question is, what is the best way to travel with a large backpack with gear? I have a Kuiu 5200 and typical backpacking gear. Not sure I want to check it as baggage. May get all beat up, broken straps/buckles... Is it too big to be a carry on? Maybe break it down and pack in a suitcase? Definitely would want to "carry on" my binos and spotting scope.

How do you all do it? Thoughts?

Thanks

Throw it inside a big duffle bag. That's how I flew my 5200 to Kodiak Island. You can also stuff a lot of clothes and things inside the duffle bag around it. Actually, all 6 of us on the trip did the same thing without issue. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Throw it inside a big duffle bag. That's how I flew my 5200 to Kodiak Island. You can also stuff a lot of clothes and things inside the duffle bag around it. Actually, all 6 of us on the trip did the same thing without issue. 

This...exactly how I’ve traveled with a large backpack before for a backpacking trip. No hunting gear involved, but same concept. We also had a car seat bag from our kids at the time and used that for one of our packs. Both worked fine and kept the straps and buckled from getting caught in everything and dirty from handling. 

• Like 1

I always put it in a military duffel and snap the buckles closed so they don’t break. I carry my glass with me.

• Like 3

ship it in advance.

I've hunted Alaska 13 times and always take my large backpack as a carry on loaded with my optics and expensive stuff. Cinch it down as small as you can and take the top lid off so that it will fit in the overhead compartment. Only twice did they make me check it at the gate for a single flight. My current carry on backpack is 7000ci. That's the way I'd do it. Ed F

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Edwalelah said:

According to TSA, you can't take your trekking poles as carry-on, but you can take them as checked baggage.

Which is total BS because skaters can bring their skate board on the plane.  If you've seen any of the "peaceful protests" over the past year and a half it's the preferred weapon of choice.

i think is best to put it in a suitcase and check it and bring a small pack with your optics, airlines has changed the size of carry on's, if you are bring it as a carry on check with your airline because when you are at the gate and if is to big they will check it for you there.

• Like 1

Follow up: I packed my Kuiu 5200 in a large suitcase with all my backpacking gear. Binos and a few other items were in a carryon. 

• Like 1

I just got back last week from Idaho. Helped a friend on a sheep hunt in the Bruneau wilderness! 

I took my 5200 as a carry on with a few things in it. Important optics, emergency kit, book, some food and one change of clothes. I checked all my other backpacking gear in a roller duffel. Its not a big deal. Just use common sense and don't try to carry on obvious stuff like stove fuel cans, trekking poles and knives and ammo.  I've flown ALOT, never had SW Air loose a checked bag. (Had Spirit loose one tho). 

Good luck on the Sheep Hunt hope you find a good ram. 

on another note TSA is a joke these days. They have some real winners working the checkpoints. Last time I flew I felt like I was going through security at a county jail.