ThomC

Friday in Payson Trail Cameras

1 hour ago, AZtroutman said:

Man, for a group of hunters that claim to be all about obeying the law, there sure are a lot of you already advocating breaking this one. Disappointing. . Or does that only apply to laws we don't personally like?

Who is advocating? Most of us are just pointing out the obvious burden of proof issues.

So say I have a tag for unit 1 and not for 27, this means I can go set up a camera in 27 as I am not using it to aid in the take of wildlife. There is not way they could say I was using it to hunt as I don't even have a tag for that unit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wnn135 said:

So say I have a tag for unit 1 and not for 27, this means I can go set up a camera in 27 as I am not using it to aid in the take of wildlife. There is not way they could say I was using it to hunt as I don't even have a tag for that unit.

Test it and report back...  

5 minutes ago, Wnn135 said:

I don't even have a tag for that unit.

Youll be charged with poaching

Say I don't have a tag in unit X this year, but I will have a tag in that unit in a year or two or three, can I run cameras in the name of "nature observation" for the years before I get a tag? Then pull them and be fine, but have the intel from previous years of nature watching that may or may not inform my hunting actions?

I would not be hunting in unit 27 as I don't have a tag there, but if I put up a camera just to get pics of animals how could they say I was hunting, or using the camera to aid in hunting.

1 hour ago, HuntHarder said:

Im still staying tuned for Josiah's last minute appeal.  Did he cry or not at the meeting?, I have some money riding on it.

how much did you lose?

1 hour ago, HuntHarder said:

Im still staying tuned for Josiah's last minute appeal.  Did he cry or not at the meeting?, I have some money riding on it.

No crying, but close. Said something about going to jail is all I remember. Also sounded like his big paws clapping super loud after every time someone else commented on not wanting a ban. 

53 minutes ago, Sneaker said:

Say I don't have a tag in unit X this year, but I will have a tag in that unit in a year or two or three, can I run cameras in the name of "nature observation" for the years before I get a tag? Then pull them and be fine, but have the intel from previous years of nature watching that may or may not inform my hunting actions?

One of the commissioners addressed the lack of clarity in the rule on what you're saying and directed the department to put something in the rule about it. 

My guess is it won't matter when you got the picture if you used the info to "take" an animal. But... I don't think they will ticket you for killing an animal next year you get on camera this year. 

37 minutes ago, Wnn135 said:

I would not be hunting in unit 27 as I don't have a tag there, but if I put up a camera just to get pics of animals how could they say I was hunting, or using the camera to aid in hunting.

They wouldn't say you were hunting. That's the point. If you're not using them to aid in take there is no problem. If used in aid of take there is a problem. But as I've said before, of the 95% of other hunters that obey the rule and don't use cameras, there will certainly be a few that are more than willing to dispose of your camera when they find it. Because it will be assumed it's being used to help aid in take. Because lets be honest, very very few people using trail cams aren't doing it to find an animal to kill.Right or wrong that's what will be happening and eventually people will choose to stop putting them out completely.

• Like 2

Just now, HuntHarder said:

Sounds like a hundy!! Hahaha

There was one guy that called in that admitted he was close to tears. Didn't catch whether he was for or against though. 

I was actually pretty embarrassed that I know a few that spoke. One in particular. I sure as heck wouldn't want him speaking on my behalf. You don't piss on the shoes of the guys voting whether to take your cameras away or not. 

I know a few guys hunting careers that just ended... lol. 

I agree that people will start to damage any cameras they find, but I do like to set up cameras even when I am not hunting just to look at the pictures I get. Guess we will see what the final rule is, but I'm  sure like everyone else they have made up their mind.

11 minutes ago, Desertguide said:

I was actually pretty embarrassed that I know a few that spoke. One in particular. I sure as heck wouldn't want him speaking on my behalf. You don't piss on the shoes of the guys voting whether to take your cameras away or not. 

I know a few guys hunting careers that just ended... lol. 

I don’t understand why so many guiding services were against the ban. Seems to me this just helped their business. People will need guides more than ever now….