ThomC

Friday in Payson Trail Cameras

5 minutes ago, huntlines said:

I don’t understand why so many guiding services were against the ban. Seems to me this just helped their business. People will need guides more than ever now….

I wonder how anyone killed animals 15 years ago without cameras. 

7 minutes ago, huntlines said:

I don’t understand why so many guiding services were against the ban. Seems to me this just helped their business. People will need guides more than ever now….

Thats really simple to understand, they sold there services by PICTURES, the bigger the animal the more money they got from hunters looking for a guide.. Not to mention all the guides and people selling the location said animals to DYI'S.

I'm betting they lost a good chunk of there revenue with the camera bann.

41 minutes ago, huntlines said:

The biggest outfitter that spoke was for the ban.

Its going to help us... especially in the desert. I think it depends on the outfit. There are some that rely heavily on trailcams and some that don't. We don't.

You also have to consider the market. We book VERY few residents. If we do book residents, it's for elk or antelope hunts. Almost never for deer hunts. I can only think of one or two in the last 5 years. Residents won't book for instate deer hunts... cameras or no cameras.

The outfitters this will hurt are the smaller ones that still have day jobs. Big outfits like AZ Groundpounders are mostly full time guys that don't do strip hunts. They just got a huge break because it will all but eliminate competition from residents for the big animals. They will get out and put eyes on animals most guys would only find with a trailcam.

6 minutes ago, Delw said:

Thats really simple to understand, they sold there services by PICTURES, the bigger the animal the more money they got from hunters looking for a guide.. Not to mention all the guides and people selling the location said animals to DYI'S.

I'm betting they lost a good chunk of there revenue with the camera bann.

I don't know how the strip outfits sell hunts but we don't get more money for bigger animals. We also don't charge trophy fees. The established outfits, like us, already have a client base and won't need trailcam pics to sell hunts. This ban will really hurt some outfits and really help others. We've also never once sold the location of an animal. 

1 minute ago, Desertguide said:

I don't know how the strip outfits sell hunts but we don't get more money for bigger animals. We also don't charge trophy fees. The established outfits, like us, already have a client base and won't need trailcam pics to sell hunts. This ban will really hurt some outfits and really help others. We've also never once sold the location of an animal. 

Doesnt make any difference what you done or do, there are guides that do it all the time and always have been. some even offer a "CLUB" membership. elk and lopes are popular for for this as well as deer in certain units.

5 minutes ago, Delw said:

Doesnt make any difference what you done or do, there are guides that do it all the time and always have been. some even offer a "CLUB" membership. elk and lopes are popular for for this as well as deer in certain units.

You might be right... I don't know.

Club membership? You mean like the zero guide fees deal? That's not a club. That's a yearly fee guys pay instead of having to come up with all the money up front for outfitted hunts. They are still selling and guiding the hunts. Travis McClendon came up with the idea and everyone else is copying him. Diamond does it and I believe Steve Chappell is doing it now too. They aren't scouting packages.