Sign in to follow this  
DesertDiesel

Bulls with Cows

Saw a couple of bulls hanging around with cows, I saw some bulls starting to spar also. Should be any day.

I saw a few raghorns hanging out with the cows this weekend. But all of the other bulls I spotted seemed to be alone already.

I saw a 320'ish 6x6 with 11 cows last weekend. He was bugling and chasing the cows around. I thought it was a little early for this activity, but obviously that bull didn't think so.

Saw four groups of elk Monday evening above Greer. One had 75-80 cows and calves, some of them very small. One group had five bulls, all 6x6s, but nothing outstanding. The two other herds had maybe a dozen cows and calves each. Suspect it will be a couple of weeks before the bulls get serious about gathering harems.

Bill Quimby

A buddy of mine saw a very good bull with some cows standing in the roundabout in front of Home Depot in Payson the other nite. Not sure that really means anything though.

It's 8:52 pm and I heard bugling outside my cabin a few minutes ago. I suspect he is courting a small harem in the meadow across the road, but it's too dark to know for sure.

The rut isn't in full swing yet, in my opinion. A friend watched a herd with about 30 cows and calves for 45 minutes this morning, and there wasn't a bull in sight, he said.

Bill Quimby

I was in 5a this weekend the smaller bulls are with the cows. I heard some bugles in the mornings and at dark, get ready its close I think the rut this year is going to be very good for the bow hunters.