huntlines

G&F commission voted unanimously to ban trail cams

The domino which will start the chain reaction dividing the hunting community?

I enjoyed the comments and arguments on both side of this issue. The fair chase issue was the strongest in my opinion. 

Animal rights groups are the biggest winner today.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bonecollector said:

They are so concerned with the stress of the animals but yet they scheduled hunt after hunt after hunt. Its non stop hunting from Aug to the end of Jan.

Less cameras = more tags=more $$$$$$

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I get alot of the arguments on both sides, but I never understood how they can argue that the existance and checking of cameras has a negative impact on behavior and habitat, but then at the same time say ANYONE is allowed to continue to use cameras EXCEPT hunters. It makes enforcement impossible and so easy for bad players to cheat and continue to do it. The next time I see a "nature observer's" trail camera on a beloved water tank out here in the desert, I'm going to have to really take a couple deep breathes.

• Like 2

I didn't follow this today but from the comments I am guessing they banned them yet left it so anyone but hunters can hang one? If so that is the dumbest thing I ever heard. I was for a ban but this is absolutely one of their finer moments of idiocy. Totally unenforceable IMO.

• Like 4

This wont divide hunters anymore than they already were about trail cams. Just look at all of the previous posts debating it before they were banned. 

This will test a hunters moral ethics.  The ones with little to none will continue to use them until they get caught, the vast majority will follow the new rules.  Anyone else think that the guides will help ensure other guides will follow the rules?  In most units, each guide that hunts a particular area, knows which cameras belong to other guides.  Until AZGD gets the land agencies 100% on board, this could be a small sh## show.  I see that happening in the near future after guys continue to abuse them.

• Like 2

This is a huge kick in the balls to all the DIY coues deer hunters who like to run cameras far from the road. This ban will not change pressure on animals in Southern AZ. It will not change success rates. The only effect it will have on southern Arizona is that it will take away something that a bunch of us coues deer hunters really enjoy and cherish. My biggest passion outside of my family and hunting, is tracking coues deer ntler growth through their life cycles. Now I have to choose between giving up one of my passions and potentially being seen as a criminal if I hunt in the area of one of my cameras. I completely understand the need to regulate, but a statewide ban will always be viewed by me as a lazy way to throw a statewide blanket over a northern problem. To me it is similar to sending all the kids in class to detention because a few of the kids are being disruptive. For those of you on this forum that are arguing in support of this ban, how many of you are even coues deer hunters? This is a coues forum, and unfortunately most of the real coues deer hunters that used to frequent this site have all moved on to greener pastures. How many of you guys arguing in support of the ban actually spend time in traditional coues deer units and not just northern units where this is a problem. I ask this question because it seems like so many of you who are in support of this have no problem taking them away from everybody, yet you aren't even aware of how little issues there are in most units.  Why wouldn't a ban on water have been sufficient? Why wouldn't a ban in the problem units have been sufficient for now? 

• Like 14

15 minutes ago, creed_az_88 said:

This is a huge kick in the balls to all the DIY coues deer hunters who like to run cameras far from the road. This ban will not change pressure on animals in Southern AZ. It will not change success rates. The only effect it will have on southern Arizona is that it will take away something that a bunch of us coues deer hunters really enjoy and cherish. My biggest passion outside of my family and hunting, is tracking coues deer ntler growth through their life cycles. Now I have to choose between giving up one of my passions and potentially being seen as a criminal if I hunt in the area of one of my cameras. I completely understand the need to regulate, but a statewide ban will always be viewed by me as a lazy way to throw a statewide blanket over a northern problem. To me it is similar to sending all the kids in class to detention because a few of the kids are being disruptive. For those of you on this forum that are arguing in support of this ban, how many of you are even coues deer hunters? This is a coues forum, and unfortunately most of the real coues deer hunters that used to frequent this site have all moved on to greener pastures. How many of you guys arguing in support of the ban actually spend time in traditional coues deer units and not just northern units where this is a problem. I ask this question because it seems like so many of you who are in support of this have no problem taking them away from everybody, yet you aren't even aware of how little issues there are in most units.  Why wouldn't a ban on water have been sufficient? Why wouldn't a ban in the problem units have been sufficient for now? 

This is where I fall on the issue. Should have started with the units that have the obvious camera problems. Frankly, there isn't a camera problem outside of those specific units. 

I am kind of excited about hunting the Kaibab without the camera checkers everywhere.... if only I could draw a tag for myself!

• Like 4

I am a little curious why people bag in the commission. Game and Fish department makes the recommendations and the commission are just a bung of yes men who do what the G&F propose. 

Ive watched several of these meetings and the commission always hears the recommendation, someone makes a motion and the rest vote to approve. 

To me, this will be all but unenforceable.  A waste of time.  It needed to be black or white.  This is as grey as you can get.

• Like 12