huntlines

G&F commission voted unanimously to ban trail cams

And the math still scales.  The cost of labor is the largest cost either way.  Whether it's $15 or $2 and hour, the cost is 20X at minimum to get the same coverage.  Yes, they will certainly reduce the coverage....

Oh and this night vision thing doesn't make any sense. Nobody is going to sit there with night vision. They don't kill them at night. If you can kill them during the day you can find them during the day. They also won't be sitting on top of the drinkers. They'll sit back at a distance and glass morning and evenings. Doing that will tell them 10x more than a trailcam pic. All a guy needs to know is if a big buck is in the area. 

3 minutes ago, HuntHike61 said:

And the math still scales.  The cost of labor is the largest cost either way.  Whether it's $15 or $2 and hour, the cost is 20X at minimum to get the same coverage.  Yes, they will certainly reduce the coverage....

As I've said, the price of hunts will go way up. But... guys WILL pay it. That's a guarantee. 

Here's the thing... and I've avoided saying this because I do NOT want to sound arrogant. We kill some of the bigger deer the desert has to offer. We do it without overly relying on trailcams (I don't use them at all). I've never hunted the strip but I can't fathom it being any harder than the desert we hunt. If we can get it done in the desert without cams they can get it done up there... with far more financial resources because of what they charge. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Desertguide said:

Oh and this night vision thing doesn't make any sense. Nobody is going to sit there with night vision. They don't kill them at night. They also won't be sitting on top of the drinkers. They'll sit back at a distance and glass morning and evenings. Doing that will tell them 10x more than a trailcam pic. All a guy needs to know is if a big buck is in the area. 

I agree.  Just a math exercise to illustrate a point about cost to get same coverage, not a realistic new approach.  I'm sure they will do exactly what you are saying.  I actually think it's better for the deer that way- less people driving in and out of every tank before and during the season.  If they are back at a distance, the deer will come in.  And yes, while they are there, they will get much better info.  But many old bucks never hit tanks at day, so some will slip by now.  Just an opinion....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HuntHike61 said:

I agree.  Just a math exercise to illustrate a point about cost to get same coverage, not a realistic new approach.  I'm sure they will do exactly what you are saying.  I actually think it's better for the deer that way- less people driving in and out of every tank before and during the season.  If they are back at a distance, the deer will come in.  And yes, while they are there, they will get much better info.  But many old bucks never hit tanks at day, so some will slip by now.  Just an opinion....

There's no doubt their lives will change dramatically. They'll have to actually get out and scout. Some outfitters will definitely tank because of this. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HuntHike61 said:

Reading back through my comments and I hope I didn't come off like a jerk!! If I did I apologize. 

I'm going to add this and then I'm going to move on from this topic. It's a done deal regardless of the debate. It's kind of a waste of time at this point.

I hope we can all move on from this. I'm finding there are some really smart guys on both sides of the debate. For the guys that I went back and forth with, I'm leaving all that here. I don't take any of it personal and I hope you don't. 

One positive that will come from this is guys are gonna have to scout and hunt harder. That's NEVER a bad thing. 

Good luck to all of you... argue with you later... lol. 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, HuntHike61 said:

Fair enough- I wished I had hunted the unit with that in place.  I guarantee they had much further coverage than that when I was there.  And I still believe night coverage won't be anywhere near complete.  Nobody sits all night long on a water hole for $50.

never say nobody, ;) I did it for free just to see what comes in .

but in todays society I doubt you would find very hardly anyone to do it for someones elses tag paid or not.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Desertguide said:

Here's the thing... and I've avoided saying this because I do NOT want to sound arrogant. We kill some of the bigger deer the desert has to offer. We do it without overly relying on trailcams (I don't use them at all). I've never hunted the strip but I can't fathom it being any harder than the desert we hunt. If we can get it done in the desert without cams they can get it done up there... with far more financial resources because of what they charge. 

Your exactly right. The strip is no harder to hunt for big deer more than any other unit in the state. I think the strip easier to hunt than the desert for the simple fact you have more bigger deer to choose from.

the problem is peoples expectations.

If you read the rule it says that you cannot use an image captured on a trail camera to pursue a deer.  I does not need to be your camera.  So, the anti hunter gets a picture of the world record coues whitetail in the Santa Ritas and post it on all social media outlets.  You now may not pursue deer in the Santa Ritas for fear of being sited for pursuing that deer in the Santa Ritas.

The rule that the commission voted on has many holes that cannot be filled without redoing the whole process.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AZtroutman said:

Just to give you an idea of numbers of cams they actually run, I believe during the commission meeting one of the commissioners said he talked to Matt Schimberg (A3) and he said they have 1350 cameras. I could have sworn they said that was the strip alone but sounds more like a overall state number. Either way, try replacing 1350 cameras monitoring 24/7/365 with people and the math gets even crazier in regards to these guys saying "they'll just have 10 guys on every water hole now 24/7!" Bottom line as you said, there will be a significant decrease in water hole coverage. And most of that coverage that does happen will be during the day, when a lot of mature animals only drink at night.

I believe A3 has over a 1000 camera on the strip. I know for a fact they have hundreds in southern units just to locate coues bucks. If this eliminates that I’ll be very happy.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ThomC said:

If you read the rule it says that you cannot use an image captured on a trail camera to pursue a deer.  I does not need to be your camera.  So, the anti hunter gets a picture of the world record coues whitetail in the Santa Ritas and post it on all social media outlets.  You now may not pursue deer in the Santa Ritas for fear of being sited for pursuing that deer in the Santa Ritas.

Go back to your mom's basement.  You don't even hunt.  

Just a little information.....HSUS has made it very clear that hunting over water is next on the agenda....For all those that are adamant that there will be 10 guys on every water hole and how it will be worse for wildlife then the cameras.... All your doing is adding fuel to the fire....HSUS was very well prepared for this camera issue and will be even better prepared for the water hole issue....And the Department has absolutely no defense for it.....As a group...hunters can’t help but be their own worst enemies....

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, azelkhunter2 said:

Just a little information.....HSUS has made it very clear that hunting over water is next on the agenda....For all those that are adamant that there will be 10 guys on every water hole and how it will be worse for wildlife then the cameras.... All your doing is adding fuel to the fire....HSUS was very well prepared for this camera issue and will be even better prepared for the water hole issue....And the Department has absolutely no defense for it.....As a group...hunters can’t help but be their own worst enemies....

How were they well prepared?