huntlines

G&F commission voted unanimously to ban trail cams

If we use the telemetry off the GnF radio collars and put more collars on more animals, then this entire camera deal is a moot point.  We will hunt live telemetry feeds from the collars and thus no issues.

Problem solved.

• Like 1

A few thoughts come to mind on this subject.  

1:  Hunting over water is definitely next.  Commissioner's mentioned it in their fair chase prepared statements.

2:  Game & Fish has some responsibility in this as they are willing to allow Commissioner Tags to be sold at hundreds of thousands of dollars.  Those who are affluent enough to purchase those tags will spare no expense to paying guides to find them that trophy animal.

3.  As hunters are forced to change their hunting strategies, the quality of your hunt will suffer.  How so?  Well if i have to scout for my hunt next week and this is the week your hunting, i am sorry but i have to be in the field to be able to locate the game i am after.  

4.  When defining fair chase by a select few, there personal views and morals play into that decision.  We can all argue different points of fair chase, but reality is the North American Wildlife Model is based on science not personal opinions and agendas.

5.  As mentioned by others, the Cattleman's Association did not take a stance on this (why would they if you have one of the commissioners on your board and has owned multiple ranches).  This commissioner should have excused himself from the vote as he clearly had conflicting interest.

6.  Disappointed in some of our wildlife organizations as they supported the ban when the majority of their members were against the ban.  

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Evidence..

Of what?

1 hour ago, Crawl66 said:

3.  As hunters are forced to change their hunting strategies, the quality of your hunt will suffer.  How so?  Well if i have to scout for my hunt next week and this is the week your hunting, i am sorry but i have to be in the field to be able to locate the game i am after.  

This has always been the case but nice try.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Crawl66 said:

A few thoughts come to mind on this subject.  

1:  Hunting over water is definitely next.  Commissioner's mentioned it in their fair chase prepared statements.

2:  Game & Fish has some responsibility in this as they are willing to allow Commissioner Tags to be sold at hundreds of thousands of dollars.  Those who are affluent enough to purchase those tags will spare no expense to paying guides to find them that trophy animal.

4.  When defining fair chase by a select few, there personal views and morals play into that decision.  We can all argue different points of fair chase, but reality is the North American Wildlife Model is based on science not personal opinions and agendas.

5.  As mentioned by others, the Cattleman's Association did not take a stance on this (why would they if you have one of the commissioners on your board and has owned multiple ranches).  This commissioner should have excused himself from the vote as he clearly had conflicting interest.

6.  Disappointed in some of our wildlife organizations as they supported the ban when the majority of their members were against the ban.  

1. You could be right. Depends on how far rhe antis try and go. One thing that could help prevent that is if HUNTERS abide by first come first serve and respect each other. 

2. Those auction tags provide the money to build and maintain game waters... among MANY other things. The people that buy them do us all great service. 

3. If you know how to hunt, hunting water is only 1 option. You can learn 10x more observing from a distance than from a trail camera. 

4. Personal views play a role in every aspect of life. It's literally their job to decide what's best for wildlife in AZ. I didn't like their decision but I respect it.

5. The Cattleman's Association has had a member on the commission since there's been a commission. They're out there more than anybody. Cattlemen built this state. Every time we walk up over the dam on a dirt tank we need to be thankful.for Cattlemen. 

6. That's a point of personal opinion. I respect your opinion. 

• Like 3

I never hunt water, when I did , every time someone f it up..

With inflation hitting high double digits in 2 months, hunting will be an elites sport anyways.

Don't sweat it. Sweat the economy.

No sweat. Whats game and fish going to do? They cannot even give appropriate punishment to poachers. The big guides are gonna keep running cameras imo. Until game wardens start taking hammers to cameras.. oh wait they cater to guides. And yes the cattlemen did alot for hunters by putting in water. That was years ago when communities were close nit and everyone knew everyone. Ranchers welcomed good local folk to hunt their leases.. sometimes even the micro patch of land they even owned. Not any more. Cattlemen have done more to restrict hunting in the last 30 years than any tree huggers. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Explorer said:

Cattlemen have done more to restrict hunting in the last 30 years than any tree huggers. 

Having been involved in farming and cattle most of my life I understand the attitude of many cattlemen. A$$holes coming in and cutting fences, trash, shooting holes in water tanks, off road issues and general "I could give a rip" attitudes. I agree that some cattlemen could be less confrontational but it only takes a couple of incidences to shut down chunks of land to the public. Much of it is leased but there are also private property issues. Many cattle ranches are checkerboard.

One year during deer season I had guys driving across fields and ditches chasing deer. When we went in to pick cotton in one field we found 6 bucks that had been shot and unrecovered.  Pulling pieces of a two week old dead buck out of a cottonpicker  head wasn't my idea of fun. Stuff like that doesn't exactly endear the farmer/rancher to the public.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, creed said:

Having been involved in farming and cattle most of my life I understand the attitude of many cattlemen. A$$holes coming in and cutting fences, trash, shooting holes in water tanks, off road issues and general "I could give a rip" attitudes. I agree that some cattlemen could be less confrontational but it only takes a couple of incidences to shut down chunks of land to the public. Much of it is leased but there are also private property issues. Many cattle ranches are checkerboard.

One year during deer season I had guys driving across fields and ditches chasing deer. When we went in to pick cotton in one field we found 6 bucks that had been shot and unrecovered.  Pulling pieces of a two week old dead buck out of a cottonpicker  head wasn't my idea of fun. Stuff like that doesn't exactly endear the farmer/rancher to the public.

Amen.