Sign in to follow this  
CouesPursuit

Forum Idea for Spammers

I understand the majority are easy to identify but I wonder if Amanda or Stanley would be interested in adding or changing one of the like/reaction buttons to a spam indicator? 

• Like 1

I'm just a grunt, and don't have full knowledge and access but I believe that re-configuring the like/reaction buttons wouldn't be easy.  It is sort of a 'package' deal on the forum software, and not too easy to customize (or impossible).  Good suggestion, but unfortunately I don't think it's technically feasible.

No doubt the spammer activity has increased in the past few months.  I would recommend that folks continue to use the 'report' button anytime they notice a questionable post.  I have also started reviewing the newly set-up accounts on occasion to look for anything obvious even before they start posting.  That can be tricky to identify though, without going into deep analysis on the IP addresses (which I don't really have the time to do).

S.

Thanks for the reply. I figured with "Great Buck" as an option, "SPAM!" could be too but I definitely understand.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 40-year-AZ-hunter said:

Orange15 sent me a Spam PM overnight. Please ban. Thanks

I got added to a PM thread overnight apparently based on email I received...but no PM in my inbox so hopefully already banned. 

• Like 1

I received an similar email that included seven other members that I did not recognize. Logged in and didn't find anything out of order. Looked up the name ( Elisio ) that sent the message and found no results. 

Do admins want a copy of that email note?    

On 6/16/2021 at 11:23 AM, CouesPursuit said:

Thanks for the reply. I figured with "Great Buck" as an option, "SPAM!" could be too but I definitely understand.

Yes, you are correct....I can probably create a SPAM reaction button, like I did for the Great buck reaction button.  But I am not sure how that helps since it would not notify the moderators like the report button does.  Reporting a post would fix the problem more quickly because we would get notified of the problem.

22 hours ago, HorseHunter said:

I received an similar email that included seven other members that I did not recognize. Logged in and didn't find anything out of order. Looked up the name ( Elisio ) that sent the message and found no results. 

Do admins want a copy of that email note?    

We probably don't need a copy of it if you log in and it's already not there....that probably means Stan was able to delete the member and related messages before you logged in to check it out.  Thanks for your quick action Stan!  :)    but if you get an email about a private message and it seems it has not been taken care of, then you can let Stan or I know and we can take care of it.  Thank you.

• Like 3

Thank you Stanley!! I also recieved an email stating I was in a group conversation along with other 6 members. The group conversation was titled "Lets go hunting" Conversation started by a member with the name of "Terexy" By the time I checked out it was deleted.

• Like 1

Alex Turnage <turnagealex92@gmail.com> Seems to be a scammer also , Told me he had 5 boxes of bullets to sell (not likely) . Asked me to Venmo the money and he would send them ? Something seemed off when he couldn't confirm the grain of bullet consistently. I believe Darren72 gave me the email address for "Alex" (Darren had been a member for 4 hours). If it seems to good to be true ............! 

1 hour ago, dtower said:

Alex Turnage <turnagealex92@gmail.com> Seems to be a scammer also , Told me he had 5 boxes of bullets to sell (not likely) . Asked me to Venmo the money and he would send them ? Something seemed off when he couldn't confirm the grain of bullet consistently. I believe Darren72 gave me the email address for "Alex" (Darren had been a member for 4 hours). If it seems to good to be true ............! 

Darren72 is gone/banned.

I can't find any user ID for Alex Turnage.  Did he/she contact you through the messaging here?

14 minutes ago, stanley said:

Darren72 is gone/banned.

I can't find any user ID for Alex Turnage.  Did he/she contact you through the messaging here?

I had an IM listing this email address . Since i cannot find the IM that was sent to me. I think the guy deleted the message.

• Like 1