Red Rabbit

Coconino NF to fully CLOSE Wednesday 6/23/2021

49 minutes ago, Delw said:

I hadnt seen the latest  map update on the fire movement but I was really surprized that fire didnt run up the canyons more west. looks like it start a mile east of the perkinville williams highway where it turns to dirt .

They closed bill williams mountain a few months ago didnt they?

The 20mph winds out of the west pushed it east. 

43 minutes ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

The 20mph winds out of the west pushed it east. 

It's kind of a Catch-22, those winds are the result of a Pacific Low intense enough to deliver lower temps and moisture.

"Only those with private inholdings will be allowed access to their property, "

While I wish they had closed the forests sooner, what about those with leases?

I'm not worried about miners like me who'll be locked out, the govt will expect their lease payments.on time. But if you had a cattle lease you might need to.haul in water.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Delw said:

I hadnt seen the latest  map update on the fire movement but I was really surprized that fire didnt run up the canyons more west. looks like it start a mile east of the perkinville williams highway where it turns to dirt .

They closed bill williams mountain a few months ago didnt they?

They have now updated the Rafael fire under incident command online. It looks like it's almost to Turkey butte in unit 6b and lonesome pocket in unit 8. Hopefully they get some rain up there the next couple of days.

• Like 2

Should of closed it all down weeks ago

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dcshorthairs said:

All forests will be closed by Saturday

Do you have inside info?  

Sucks the feds charge us for the land that is free, close land that is free and when our free lands are open for a short window, you are limited on access.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, n2horns said:

Sucks the feds charge us for the land that is free, close land that is free and when our free lands are open for a short window, you are limited on access.

Are you talking about forests closing?  You think they shouldn't close them?

For me, I think they should use their 'expertise' (I know....  So called, expertise....) to close the forests when they think they need to for the greater good.  If the indicators they watch/manage say they should close it, then I'm not going to argue with that.  This time it of course seems to me like a no-brainer regarding closures.

Regarding fees, I think I disagree with you there.  But that is for a different thread, I suppose. ;) 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Redman said:

Do you have inside info?  

Gila county Sheriff info officer on the BackBone said last night the TNF district was meeting today to decide if they would close the Tonto. I would bet tomorrow it will close with the others.

• Like 1

I read on another site that someone said there was a meeting this morning and the plan was to close the A-S this Friday.  I have not see any official notice.

44 minutes ago, Red Rabbit said:

I read on another site that someone said there was a meeting this morning and the plan was to close the A-S this Friday.  I have not see any official notice.

We were leaving tomorrow for Alpine, but are gonna have to rethink our plans if it does close.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zackcarp said:

We were leaving tomorrow for Alpine, but are gonna have to rethink our plans if it does close.

I know some folks up there that would know and they are going to close it. Sounds like they are going to start going around today to tell campers to pack up and leave. 

I hope I'm wrong, but that's what I heard from someone I would consider reliable. 

Bummer too, we had plans to head up there for July 4th weekend.