Elk_oholic

Unit 8 early archery bull

the backburn was not that bad in many areas... 

2 recent pics, one along fs109 (east/backburn side), the other is JD Dam Lake.

FS opened up the backburn areas this past weekend btw.

20210805_174249.jpg

20210808_121749.jpg

• Like 1

My old man put his tag on his first archery bull this morning in unit 8. The bulls have been talking really good all night and until about 7:30-8 in the morning, and yesterday evening they started back up again about 5pm. Good luck to you others in 8, getting up at 330 every morning has definitely helped us get ahead of the elk, and the crowds.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 060785 said:

My old man put his first archery tag on a bull this morning in unit 8. The bulls have been talking really good all night and until about 7:30-8 in the morning, and yesterday evening they started back up again about 5pm. Good luck to you others in 8, getting up at 330 every morning has definitely helped us get ahead of the elk, and the crowds.

PICS!

On 8/10/2021 at 4:35 PM, 1uofacat said:

the backburn was not that bad in many areas... 

2 recent pics, one along fs109 (east/backburn side), the other is JD Dam Lake.

FS opened up the backburn areas this past weekend btw.

20210805_174249.jpg

20210808_121749.jpg

JD looks great. Was just a weedy pond this time a year ago

On 9/15/2021 at 7:03 PM, mc68 said:

Congratulations to you guys! U8 must be going pretty well. I saw pics of a couple other bulls taken there as well. 

It’s going pretty decent. Had a couple decent bulls lock up pretty hard and ended fairly quickly. Tension is definitely heating up in there. The last couple days its noticeably cooler and by next week forecast shows even cooler. It should make for an awesome time in the elk woods!

On 6/22/2021 at 6:41 AM, Elk_oholic said:

My wife was lucky enough to draw a unit 8 early archery bull tag with only 4 points as non resident.  We have been in that unit in the past, mainly for a late bull rifle hunt.  We are in good shape and have no problem going the extra mile to get away from the crowds.  Most of the sycamore wilderness area seems to be at lower elevation.  Are there enough elk to go after in the canyons, or should we focus on higher elevation like the AZ fish and game seems to recommend?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

How did your wife do? 

Thanks for asking.  We got into elk almost every day of our 12 day hunt.  Unfortunately, she only has a 45 yard bow range, and we had bulls at 60 - 75 yards on a few different occasions.  Had some cows in closer between 30 - 50 yards.  Lots of bugling, but mainly at dark, just before dark, and just after sunrise.  They shut down during the day.  She had bugling elk coming in a few mornings and a couple of evenings.  So, a lot of encounters, and excitement, but she never got to shoot.  It was an awesome hunt nonetheless.  We have a YouTube Channel called Catch n' Dinner.  We'll be editing the footage from the hunt and posting soon if you want to check it out.  My CO archery bull hunt is up already.  Harvested a nice 5 x 5 just before we left for Arizona.  Here's a link to the video.  

• Like 5