Elk_oholic

Unit 8 early archery bull

gunsmith, one radar site shows a small tanker and two cropdusters working around Casner.  I sure hope it does not crest out to the east.

7 hours ago, Elk_oholic said:

My wife was lucky enough to draw a unit 8 early archery bull tag with only 4 points as non resident.  We have been in that unit in the past, mainly for a late bull rifle hunt.  We are in good shape and have no problem going the extra mile to get away from the crowds.  Most of the sycamore wilderness area seems to be at lower elevation.  Are there enough elk to go after in the canyons, or should we focus on higher elevation like the AZ fish and game seems to recommend?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

you'll be fine.

most of the area that is burnt now is almost pretty inaccessible to most humans anyhow, the canyons are pretty dang steep, Ive seen maybe 5-10 people in all the years, one major reason is due to heat during the early archery bull season, and theres so many other areas to hunt in that unit. I have hunted in the canyon from perkinsville to sycamore point.

The elk and deer pretty much had time to move out, and they werent really being blocked in from the fire. if the fire had started from the top and bottom it could have been pretty bad. animal survival wise.

it may effect the bear population as well as lions and bobcats cause theres alot of dens in those cliffs.

that being said theres nice elk all over unit 8 and once it greens up it will be a buffet.

this is one finger of the canyon that got burned up according to the map anyhow. sorry but the only pic I had is with the mugly kid in it.

post-14908-0-91815200-1491805429.thumb.jpg.ca12e91d6f16597213279b369de28c38.jpg

43.thumb.jpg.684deb7e9389098705a6217c11c22560.jpg

2 hours ago, Adicted said:

Red Rabbit i take back that statement.  from my phone it looked like it was on the road to jerome by winters cabin....its still at the bottom.  I pulled up on the computer and it clearly shows still there..

On the computer with one of the maps it looked like its jumped to 6b as well when you had posted. then I saw the map on azfamily and it showed it jumped.

different type of map on azfamily

different type of map click here

1 hour ago, Red Rabbit said:

gunsmith, one radar site shows a small tanker and two cropdusters working around Casner.  I sure hope it does not crest out to the east.

I know they had a plane on it last night, but I hadn't seen anything else about it.  Hopefully they can put it out in the canyon if it gets on top it could be really bad.

5 hours ago, stanley said:

Burning, burning, burning!!  :(    (I've got a late rifle bull tag up in that area.....)

Regarding the elk hunting, I feel like at the end of the day the fires may not necessarily impact it too much at a macro level.   There will be areas that will be 100% scorched, but hopefully some unburned pockets here and there as well.   If we get decent rain this year, there just might be lots of yummy green stuff for the elk in those burned areas.

S.

Stanley,

I have a 11 year old boy and 12 year old girl with late bull tags as well. Some of my favorite spots are on 🔥🔥. I was just up there scouting 2 weeks ago and getting pretty excited. Let's pray for rain and we'll reassess when things settle down 😕

• Like 2

Yes the back bone is heading towards Verde lakes and there trying to keep it from crossing hwy 260to camp Verde, and one 7 miles west of happyjack, so ya its getting it good

Well if it’s anything thing like last year (had archery sept tag) pray for rain. We had no rain last year and bill Williams mountain was closed all season and did not open till late November just a week before the late rifle bull hunt.  So that area was off limits the entire archery hunt. If we don’t get rain I’m afraid the forest maybe closed till who knows when.   I scouted tons and hunt 8 for years, and hunted every single day last year. We killed two nice bulls but had to do it sitting water. It was a mad dash every day to water tanks in that unit last year. Trying to beat other hunters.  And this year will be the same with the hunt a day earlier.  Unless we get rain. We only had one day the entire 14 day hunt w some rutting activity.  Too hot and dry. The rut occurred in this unit way way late due to lack of summer moisture. 

good luck hope the rut is on during your hunt. But it’s not looking good. Find water and own it all day. We did and we’re successful. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, buglethemin said:

Well if it’s anything thing like last year (had archery sept tag) pray for rain. We had no rain last year and bill Williams mountain was closed all season and did not open till late November just a week before the late rifle bull hunt.  So that area was off limits the entire archery hunt. If we don’t get rain I’m afraid the forest maybe closed till who knows when.   I scouted tons and hunt 8 for years, and hunted every single day last year. We killed two nice bulls but had to do it sitting water. It was a mad dash every day to water tanks in that unit last year. Trying to beat other hunters.  And this year will be the same with the hunt a day earlier.  Unless we get rain. We only had one day the entire 14 day hunt w some rutting activity.  Too hot and dry. The rut occurred in this unit way way late due to lack of summer moisture. 

good luck hope the rut is on during your hunt. But it’s not looking good. Find water and own it all day. We did and we’re successful. 

Great summary of what that hunt was last year. Pretty ridiculous 

According to the report fire is south of garland now. Is this a Backburn or the actual fire?

I believe its a back burn

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7567/

South Garland Prairie “GO” Order Downgraded to “SET”

Rafael Fire Wildfire
Announcements – 5 hrs. ago

The Coconino County Sheriff’s Office is pleased to announce that we are lifting the “GO” evacuation order of the residents living in the South Garland Prairie neighborhood. The Southwest Incident Management Team that is managing the Rafael Fire has determined that the status and condition of the fire at this time is no longer an imminent threat to the South Garland Prairie neighborhood and has recommended allowing residents back into their homes.

Residents returning to the South Garland Prairie will return to a “SET” status. The Incident Management Team and the Sheriff’s Office reminds residents that the conditions and status of the fire could change at any time resulting the return of a “GO-evacuation” status. We will continue to closely monitor the situation and will communicate any change in status as soon as possible.

The Sheriff’s Office will begin the re-entry of the South Garland Prairie residents at 5:00 PM today, June 26, 2021. Evacuated residents are instructed to report in person to deputies staged at the roadblocks on Forest Service Road 141 either east or west of the evacuated area. Residents will be required to show identification verifying their address before they are allowed entry.

Only residents will be allowed back into the evacuated area.  The Coconino County Sheriff’s Office will continue to patrol the area.  All members of the public are reminded to be mindful and cautious of the increase in traffic in firefighting apparatus and closure of the forest in and around the fire area. 
We thank you for your patience during this difficult time. 

Continue to monitor CCSO, Coconino County, Rafael Fire social media and official news releases for additional information.

Elk_oholic

Hello! Congrats on the tags.

I helped a friend for 5 or 6 days on his unit 8 hunt about 15 years ago.  It was my first AZ elk hunt in September and it was a lot of fun!  Try west and northof Sycamore canyon in the Pine flat area south of Summit mountain (FR354/FR105).  We didn't have any trouble finding elk around there. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Jeff

, Ariz. — A Type 3 Incident Command Team led by Incident Commander Troy Mueller, assumed management of the Rafael Fire July 2 as crews continue with mop up, patrol and suppression efforts.

The Rafael Fire is 91 percent contained after burning 78,065 acres in the Sycamore Canyon area south east of Williams. There are currently 281 fire personnel assigned to the fire.

The Rafael Fire was discovered June 18 on the Prescott National Forest, the result of passing predominantly dry thunderstorms and lightning.

The fire was located in a remote area approximately four miles north of Perkinsville. It had grown to 1,000 acres by the morning of June 20. At that time, the Arizona Central West Zone Type 3 Incident Management Team assumed management of the Rafael Fire. Strong winds on June 20, combined with dry fuels and favorable uphill topography in front of the fire, added nearly 18,000 acres for a total of 18,671 acres.

The fire moved nine and a half miles on June 20 from the origin to above the

Sycamore Canyon Rim onto the Kaibab National Forest and into the Sycamore Canyon Wilderness Area.

On June 21, the fire added another 5,500 acres to 24,191 acres, and burned actively in Tule Canyon within the Sycamore Canyon Wilderness.

The fire continued to grow in Sycamore Canyon and on June 22 the fire continued to move east and crossed into the Coconino National Forest.

Again, topography and dry fuels drove the fire approximately seven and a half miles on June 22 and by the morning of June 23, the fire had grown to 34, 949 acres.

On the morning of June 24, the Southwest Area Type 1 Incident Management Team 2 led by Incident Commander Dave Bales assumed management of the fire.

As of July 2, crews continued to patrol and mop up around the fire to secure the perimeter. Interior areas of the fire are expected to continue to burn and there may be smoke visible in these areas. The Burned Area Emergency Response team is in place and is continuing assessing burn severity over the entire fire.

All communities affected by the fire were downgraded to “READY evacuation status. However, all areas within the Coconino, Kaibab, and Prescott National Forests remain closed to entry, regardless of evacuation status.

More information about forest closures should be directed to each respective forests.

On a topic note, areas along the edge of Sycamore Canyon should still hold good numbers of elk during the archery season. Try areas west and south of Whitehorse lake.

if you are stuck with staying aroun sycamore or goverment canyon go for it BUT on the west side you should try scouting around Devil Dog canyon area or the areas around Hells Pocket oh and also back on east side around Shultz lake area 

good luck on the hunt

pm me for more info if you like