Sign in to follow this  
Couesnut

Up coming Dove season

Looking for access to a Dairy / Feed Lot with all those Eurasians, for Sept 2021

Would like to get my grandson in on some shooting like I had as a kid back in the 70s

Any ideas ??

DH

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 12:54 PM, Couesnut said:

Looking for access to a Dairy / Feed Lot with all those Eurasians, for Sept 2021

Would like to get my grandson in on some shooting like I had as a kid back in the 70s

Any ideas ??

DH

Most of the dairies in the valley are now surrounded by housing developments and shooting is getting very restricted due to the 1/4 mile rule. Areas I’ve hunted just a few years ago have all been swallowed up by warehouses or HOAs. There is a youth hunt opportunity available for the first weekend that you could take your grandkid to. The registration info is here:

https://youthoutdoorsunlimited.com/events/cj-biller-memorial-dove-hunt/

• Like 1

Hunted there last year on  Fri. The 4th,  not the youth camp. but on the GMA..   Very few birds    "should have been here yesterday" 

I know there are a bunch of Dairies / Feed lots in the buckeye area.   Guys post here about the dozens of Eurasians all the time.

You'd think I was looking for a  looking for a big buck honey hole....LOL

3 hours ago, Couesnut said:

Hunted there last year on  Fri. The 4th,  not the youth camp. but on the GMA..   Very few birds    "should have been here yesterday" 

I know there are a bunch of Dairies / Feed lots in the buckeye area.   Guys post here about the dozens of Eurasians all the time.

The youth dove hunt is in the fields next to the caretakers house, which is off limits to adult hunters. This area will have no hunting pressure before the event and a good place to take youth hunters. Especially this year with the drought and lack off available hunting areas due urbanization. Many of the dairies you are referencing do not allow access anymore. Again this is primarily due to houses being too close and homeowners calling the sheriff. There is also one dairy that has closed access because of people littering excessively on the property. Doesn’t matter to me if you take your grandkid to the event or not as I have not affiliation with it. Just sharing info with others that read this public forum and may be interested. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Couesnut said:

Actually I'd give up a gnarly canyon than a dove spot. Reason being that most people won't ever go back there but the same person will bring five people the next weekend 3/4's of who have never even shot a dove before and won't eat them and leave a mess and shoot in the direction of everyone else.

Plenty of places in Texas to go shoot doves for a fee and if your pockets are deep enough there is Argentina. You can always go to Stanfield, Gila Bend, Red Rock or Yuma. But you need to start scouting now and not put it off until the last week of August.

Work for those spots and post pictures, Then just maybe people will invite you to hunt their spots.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Got 1 with the Ram yesterday,  poor little bugger. 

LOL, I got one with a jeep yesterday coming home from work, the funny part I just pulled out the driveway of the shop and was still in 1st gear. he hit the grill and feathers everywhere. one of the slowest suicides ever.

• Haha 1

DH, grandkid?  It does not seem that long ago when your dad was my PE coach.  Hope you find a good hunt.  Not much in that regard up here around Flag.