Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Did you know?

Sammy Davis Jr., One of the Fastest Guns in Hollywood

If you asked the average person who the fastest gun among movie and television stars was, he or she might reply with an actor best known for Westerns, someone such as John Wayne, Randolph Scott, or James Arness. In truth the fastest guns in Hollywood were performers who aren't generally associated with Westerns. Reportedly the fastest gun in all of Hollywood was none other than comedian Jerry Lewis. Not far behind him was actor, singer, dancer, and comedian Sammy Davis Jr.

Sammy Davis Jr. was taught in the quick draw by Arvo Ojala, a stuntman and marksman who was an expert in the subject. Among other things Mr. Ojala was the gunfighter who was shot down by Marshal Matt Dillon in the original opening of each episode of Gunsmoke. In truth, Arvo Ojala could have beaten Marshal Dillon with ease.  Over the years Mr. Ojala would train many stars in the fast draw, including James Arness, Robert Culp, James Garner, Paul Newman, Hugh O'Brien, and Clint Walker, among others.

As it turns out, Arvo Ojala trained Sammy Davis Jr. very well. Reportedly Mr. Davis could draw a gun between 4/10ths and 4.5/10ths of a second. While Sammy Davis Jr. did not appear in very many Western movies (Gone with the West from 1974 is it), he did get the opportunity to display his fast gun skills on such TV Westerns as Zane Gray Theatre, Lawman, and The Rifleman. He also demonstrated his skill with a gun on various talk shows over the years.

http://mercurie.blogspot.com/2019/02/sammy-davis-jr-one-of-fastest-guns-in.html?m=1

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

Could you even imagine one of today's Hollywood types doing this?

Just now, knothead said:

Could you even imagine one of today's Hollywood types doing this?

Only with a lot of editing and special effects. After which they'd go back to ranting antigun propaganda.

• Like 1

Don't remember the particulars about it, but Sammy only had one good eye, the other one was glass. Him and Dean Martin was going somewhere, and Sammy got pulled over for speeding. Deano told the cop "heck he's only got one eye, do you want him to watch the road or his speed".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

James Arness would drop Sammy Davis like a bad habit. 

Glad you brought J A up. I hadn't watched a Gunsmoke episode since the series was cancelled nearly a half century ago. 

After our thread on westerns I decided to give it another try from an adult perspective.

The ol lady and I are thoroughly enjoying the show, the black and white episodes in particular.

Gunsmoke trivia

1) James Arness lost half his right foot in the invasion of Sicily.

2) Beer was actually served on the drinking scenes.

3) Dennis Weaver came up with the idea for a limp for his character, Chester Goode. He soon regretted it as riding and running scenes were difficult.

4) Amanda Blake was the original Carol Bascom. She often brought a pet lion to the set. After retirement she resided in Phoenix.

5)  Arvo Ojala also worked as an actor; his most famous role was that of the unnamed man shot by Marshal Matt Dillon in the opening sequences of the long-running television series Gunsmoke. As a joke on the producers, James Arness and Arvo actually did the opener once with Dillon falling to the ground as if shot.

arvo-ojala-acdb6302-ca6a-4f42-962e-24a5e7204fa-resize-750.jpeg.732b61eccc5796055c59e3b759c5b615.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Edge said:

Glad you brought J A up. I hadn't watched a Gunsmoke episode since the series was cancelled nearly a half century ago. 

After our thread on westerns I decided to give it another try from an adult perspective.

The ol lady and I are thoroughly enjoying the show, the black and white episodes in particular.

Gunsmoke trivia

1) James Arness lost half his right foot in the invasion of Sicily.

2) Beer was actually served on the drinking scenes.

3) Dennis Weaver came up with the idea for a limp for his character, Chester idea Goode. He soon regretted it as riding and running scenes were difficult.

4) Amanda Blake was the original Carol Bascom. She often brought a pet lion to the set. After retirement she resided in Phoenix.

I could be wrong, but I thought this arvo guy was the dude standing across from Matt Dillon in the opening scene 

• Like 1

When I was a kid growing up my dad was a horse trainer & ranch foreman at pretty penny ranch in what used to be north Scottsdale.  I used to make extra money for doing things for people who boarded horses there.  I got paid to ride peoples horses because they had no time, clean horses hooves, exercise in round pen and even brush horses.  One of the horses I got paid to brush every other day was Amanda Blakes horse.  I never once saw her do anything with the horse.  I was always amazed at all the horses that were boarded there and never messed with or much less even ridden.  Horses spent month after month in their stalls and only got out when they got new shoes or a trim.

• Sad 1
  • Wow! 1

7 hours ago, knothead said:

When I was a kid growing up my dad was a horse trainer & ranch foreman at pretty penny ranch in what used to be north Scottsdale.  I used to make extra money for doing things for people who boarded horses there.  I got paid to ride peoples horses because they had no time, clean horses hooves, exercise in round pen and even brush horses.  One of the horses I got paid to brush every other day was Amanda Blakes horse.  I never once saw her do anything with the horse.  I was always amazed at all the horses that were boarded there and never messed with or much less even ridden.  Horses spent month after month in their stalls and only got out when they got new shoes or a trim.

Cool story. 

We just took a 20 year old stud off the neighbors hands. He never saw a vet, only trimmed maybe 1-2 times a year. He'd spend 8 months a year without leaving a 12x16 stall. Sad.

He's a very well bred palomino Qhorse but was nearly 500 pounds underweight. I got tired of sneaking him extra feed so we strongly suggested he stay with us. Neighbor agreed.

• Like 2