Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

Project boat help

I just got a small boat handed down from my family and I wanted to make it into a small bass boat. Does anyone know a good shop or a person who can help out? I would like to get a new transom for it and also I really wanna have a casting deck and storage similar to a bass boat! Thank you guys. If someone on here knows how to do that I'll be more than happy to pay. Here is a few pics of it!

20210620_191014.jpg

20210620_191007.jpg

That's a nice boat for up north, I'd sell it and pick up something used specifically for bass.  Good luck either way, I may be interested if you do sell it :)

• Like 1

Rebuild it yourself. Everything is on YouTube and the internet. Check out TinBoats.net and duck hunting forums.

It is going to take so many hours that the labor you're asking for will far exceed the value of the boat. You are going to spend a lot of time, but the reward and know-how will be worth it. You'll know the boat inside and out and get every little thing dialed in your way.

I've enhanced and rebuilt both my 11ft fiberglass sneak boat and 16ft aluminum tracker several times over and they are fish catchin' and duck killin' machines that I wouldn't sell or trade for the world. My 0.02.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

Why does it need a new transom? How do you put a new transom on a welded all aluminum boat anyway 

This is an old one. It has a rotted wood one on now. From like the early 80's maybe late 70's

• Like 1

Been looking at a lotta videos. You guys are right it doesnt look too bad! But I know our weather puts a lot more wear and tear on stuff. Is plywood a good option for making a casting deck? Like will it last even if I put like carpet or EVA foam on it?

I have done my 16 ft tin probably 4 times over 3 decades.  Back in the day that was my only boat,  so I decked 6 of 8 foot in the front etc.  Now I only use it for up north so I no longer need that set up.

I use  plywood and would  roll on Thomson  water sealer and the always carpet on top. Jut me, I like carpet in boats. I also alway had a wood floor so it is a flat surface to stand or walk on. It also save your rivits in the floor from starting a leak if it is not a welded boat.

• Like 1

Plywood smothered with Thompsons Water Seal holds for years, especially if you keep it covered. I had that typed before Mark chimed in, but he is spot on with that.

With how much time I was putting in duck hunting in the last decade, I chose not to use carpet on my second remodel because when it started to wear after the first remodel, it left its trace on everything that touched it and eventually peeled, looked like crap, and was a nightmare to remove from the aluminum surfaces it was glued to. Now that I have kids, my deck will have carpet again next year. I have seen my buddies try foam varities and it is not for me, wears way too fast and costs way too much.  

• Like 2

Like said above, tiny boat nation on Facebook as well.

• Like 1