Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

unit 27 early archery

After 12 years of applying  it finally happened, I drew my first Elk tag for Arizona unit 27. I am looking for some help in my planning. I am looking for two things,,,,I would love to find someone in the area where I could board 2 Mules and maybe drop a trailer and be able to come and go a few times during most of September. The second item would be a reliable Packer in the area I could hire for camp haul or Meat haul or both.

I have yet to decided how I want this hunt to go, now that its my tag my dreams of packing in and hunting like Im back in time isn't as shiny as it was while reading stories of such adventures. I now know hunting takes a hit when your dealing with stock and trying to hunt yourself. This will most likely be the last time I do a hunt like this for myself and I really would like to give it every chance to be looked back on with no regrets.

Basically I am planning on being solo for the hunt and open to the possibility that some help will be with me at some point, I cant plan it that way of course since its really tough to have everything line up for buddies to be able to make it.

So if anyone has some intel on either of the help items above please let me know, I had 2 different options lined up from several years ago while learning and planning for this tag but those options are no longer available. Thanks in advance.

1) Packer 

2) Horse boarding

Which hunt did you draw? That should stack up to be a great hunt and it looks you are doing plenty of pre-planning. I have just been accumulating BP's the past few years and hope to start putting in again next year.

Try to contact Ron Eichelberger with Ponderosa Outfitters. Ron does (or at least used to) backcountry trips in that area, so he might be able help you out. If not he might be able to refer you to someone who can help.

• Like 1

You could check into the Josh Ranch on your requests.

https://joshranch.com/

My brother in law had a local rancher pack out 2 bulls on a late hunt a couple years ago.  I'll get his name/number.

I have the same hunt as you.  Are you wanting to head into the Blue?

Jeff

DC outfitters mule packs in 27. They might be able to help with #2.

(928) 965-4051

Josh ranch in in a pending sale

i messaged premium hunts no reply

i messaged hunt hard no reply

i messaged 2 locals I know if with no reply and bad phone numbers. 

I know a few of the Gomez family and may call Clay but he’s down south quite a ways so was hoping for someone close by so I don’t lose meat should I get lucky. 

There are a couple of packers in Alpine that would be able to help you out. The outfitters up there are pretty bogged down during those hunts so i doubt you’ll have much luck getting them to pack something out for you. Next time you go up there to scout, poke around Alpine. I can’t remember exactly but there are several people there that pack. I think the has station has fliers on the wall. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

Josh ranch in in a pending sale

i messaged premium hunts no reply

i messaged hunt hard no reply

i messaged 2 locals I know if with no reply and bad phone numbers. 

I know a few of the Gomez family and may call Clay but he’s down south quite a ways so was hoping for someone close by so I don’t lose meat should I get lucky. 

I suspect that DC will be hunting higher during the early archery hunt, but I don't know for certain. Its been a long time since I talked to any of them.

I called the numbers listed above on the flyer and left message with no reply.

So far the only outfitter to get back to me was Cuernos Outfitters, working on some logistics with them now.

Didnt think it would be so tough putting this together, oh well Ill keep plugging away and in the end ill be there one way or another.

I think Eddie Willey (southeastern Arizona outfitters) might spend time in that area, Not sure if he even offers packing meat but he does have mules. Good luck out there I have the same hunt 

cant wait to see your success. we got unit 27 cow tags.  We went up this past saturday to get some fresh mountain air and bounce around. Of all the camps we seen, we didnt hear of any success

• Like 1