Sign in to follow this  
seek100plus

Rifle scope

huskemaw is who my buddy went through and it took them 5 months to get his rifle back. The only thing is that if you do not reload your are stuck buying their rounds. he was not to happy with their service.

John,

I am thinking that sending a gun off just to have that work done is a bit excessive in the first place.... However, I can tell you that after I mounted my scope, developed a load and bullet that I was happy with, did the Data shooting & sent that off, got the Turret back, zeroed my rifle back at 200 with the new turret and field tested the turret... I had Three months wrapped up in all the cuz I had other stuff to do in life as well..... :lol: ;) ..... I know how frustrating it can be when you are waiting for something to arrive in the mail.... I am sure your buddy needed that gun and it was durring thier busy season, too.... Yada, Yada,Yada..... and he was frickin' Pissed....like we all would be...... That does not change the fact that he can order a new turret any time with any type of ammo he wishes.... and all he has to do is send them the data! As far as reloading.... IMO.... If you plan to shoot longrange while in a hunting situation, then you better have custom ammo from somewhere.

Sorry, your buddy had a bad go of it with Gun Werks.... I have a lot of faith in the scope though! ;)

Ya he got the gun back 3 days before his late kaibab hunt last year. He was just mad cause they kept putting him off cause they first told him it would be 6 weeks.

Lefty, I think Gino made it seemd like shooting at 505 when you only have a 550 marker is EXTREMLY tough. It really isnt all that hard if you have a solid place to start. Granted, shooting 400 yards with a standard duplex reticle sighted in at 100 yards (or what ever distance) is pretty tough unless you know where the bottowm of the duplex hits.. Example: My .270 (back up gun) is sightead dead on at 100 yards. The bottow of the duplex is spot on 350 yards.

Come on Gino, theres gotta be atleast a LITTLE guess work mixed in there or its no fun!

On the Br reticle you pick your target size and it tells you at which yardages you will hit the target size of an 8 inch or 6 inch circle which is usually the target on big game. the tds does the same but just doesnt have as many lines and dots. It is just exactly the same thing as on your bow pins. Usually you have 20-30-40-50-60 yard pins right. so if the animal is 44 yards what do you do? Put it right between the pins. these scopes are not for competition shooting they are made for hunting. Step by step, range animal, look at your stock, aim, shoot. It's not too hard. Actually pretty easy like an archery shot. And when you are looking through a 18 or 24 power scope the target is pretty large. I do not want to shoot at 700 plus yards just 400-600 yards if needed. But I will only shoot so if I have proven myself in practice.

that is a very good comparison is the pins on a bow! he was trying to make it sound like if your distance wasn't exactly on one of your crosshairs then you're screwed, which is totally wrong!

that is a very good comparison is the pins on a bow! he was trying to make it sound like if your distance wasn't exactly on one of your crosshairs then you're screwed, which is totally wrong!

No, I think he was saying that if your distance wasn't exactly on one of your crosshairs then you're still just guessing.

No, I think he was saying that if your distance wasn't exactly on one of your crosshairs then you're still just guessing.

;) ;) Amen, Brutha! ;) ;)

I do know how to "gap shoot" with a bow... I happen to do it on occasion..... :rolleyes: :P I am NOT saying your method is not good.... I am just stating the fact that there is one less step for us..... just as Tim mentioned! ;) Relax.... I don't think you are any different, any less, or whatever..... :rolleyes: ..... Just pointing out why I like the system that I use. ;) It makes me just a bit more confident than using a chart and/ or a gap..... I am not as tallented as some, so "simpler".... is better for me.... and Tim.... obviously! ;) :lol: :lol: No worries... I will keep using this system until something better comes along....... and then I will jump ship and use thier product. :P I am not "shilling away" for Huskemaw.... just pointing out why it works for those of us who have tried it!!! ;) :D

Gino, whats the difference of you shoting a deer at say 412 yards? Dont the Huskema have clicks in 25 yard increments? How is that different than gap shooting with the TDS?

Gino, whats the difference of you shoting a deer at say 412 yards? Dont the Huskema have clicks in 25 yard increments? How is that different than gap shooting with the TDS?

Casey, at this point you sound like you're arguing just for the sake of arguing? :huh: The Huskema scopes have cllicks in 1/3 MOA. I'm really not sure what you mean by "clicks in 25 yard increments"? I've never heard of a scope where a click equals 25 yards? What would you do for different ranges? Perhaps you are referring to the hash marks that indicate the different yardages? The number of clicks will vary between hash marks, it just depends on how far you are shooting.

No body is slamming your system! This conversation is starting to remind me of the Berger Bullet discussion where you told us over and over again how bad of a hunting bullet they are and now as of a few days ago you tell us you are going to give them a try. It's OK if you like your system better then ours! Neither of us are after your approval, we are just shooting what works well for us. :)

I have the lueplod VXL I love the scope it has the B/C retical, I called luepold and I told them what caliber and they told me what to sight in at and what the lower lines will be at, they were right on the money. just my .02

Casey, at this point you sound like you're arguing just for the sake of arguing? :huh: The Huskema scopes have cllicks in 1/3 MOA. I'm really not sure what you mean by "clicks in 25 yard increments"? I've never heard of a scope where a click equals 25 yards? What would you do for different ranges? Perhaps you are referring to the hash marks that indicate the different yardages? The number of clicks will vary between hash marks, it just depends on how far you are shooting.

No body is slamming your system! This conversation is starting to remind me of the Berger Bullet discussion where you told us over and over again how bad of a hunting bullet they are and now as of a few days ago you tell us you are going to give them a try. It's OK if you like your system better then ours! Neither of us are after your approval, we are just shooting what works well for us. :)

;) Amen!!! ;)

;) Amen!!! ;)

;) Amen!!! ;)

Guys , thanks for all the good information, so far we have talk about the Huskema, Zeiss , Leupold and touch on few others .I have a store credit ,at one of the big hunting store's and I need to use it up, before it gets lost .Huskema is not sold there , so my choices are Zeiss Conquest or Leupold .I'm leaning towards Zeiss 6.5 x 20 or 4.5x 14, my second choice is Leupold VX - L 4.5 X 14 or a 6.5 X 20,between these to scope's are they both user friendly using there turrents or should look else where for after market system.I'm am sure they are both great scopes and the bottom line is personal choice , but the turrents ,become the deal breaker for me .

;) Amen!!! ;)

If that's the case, then I'd say for the money I don't think you can do better than the Ziess. I have the 6.5-20 and it is a very good piece of glass. I feel it is brighter in low light than the Leupold and I've been happy with the repeatibility of the clicks.

By the way I'm not sure what they charge at the big name stores, but I think Doug at Camera Land is at least a couple hundred dollars cheaper. I think I paid $650 for mine when other stores were all over $800. Just a thought.

Good luck and just remember to do your field work at long ranges. Don't rely on a computer ballistic program to spit out numbers and be dead nuts accurate. The computer will be close but you will likley need to make some adjustments at longer ranges.

Good luck!

There are a bunch of good systems out there and it somewhat depends on what you call FAR. If 500 yds is far, then you will be well served with a Leupold B&C or varmint hunter reticle. I have both and can hit fine out to 500 with it. Beyond that, you need to start twisting turrets. I still like the B&C reticle and will dial in for a longer shot. I have shot 1000 yd BR competitively and it is not that tough to figure out exactly what your bullet is doing. Sierra's published data was good enough that I could use PEJSA software to give me a 100 yard zero that would be on at 1000 yds. In my case it was 26.4" high at 100 yds. The first round was with 12" at 1000.

Darrel Holland has a nice system as well. He uses S&B scopes which are very expensive though. I have both the VXIII and the VXIII LR. I also have the new Bushnell Elite 4.5-30. I think this might be just the cat's a$$ for long range as you can crank it as high as the mirage will allow.

All of my Leupie LR scopes are 4.5-14. On my elk hunt last year I hunted with Desert Diesel and he had a 6.5-20 LR. I was going to use my rifle if the range was under 500 and his if over ( in the middle of building a house and all my reloading stuff was in boxes and I had 150 grain partition loads for my 300 that I used in Kodiak the month before) DD's Accumark was using 220 grain MKs and had killed a bull the week before at +- 700 yds so I wasn't worried.

When I finally found the bull I wanted through my 15s I set up for the shot (395 class bull). When I settled behind the 6.5-20 cranked up to 20 I saw that the bull had a broken antler that I didn't notice at 15x. I passed on the bull and ended my hunt. THAT is the advantage to the 20x or higher magnification. I agree with Casey that I really don't like 6.5 as my bottom power but depending on the way you hunt, this may not be that big of a deal.

Look at your budget and decide accordingly.

Amanda- 3500-6500 is not going to make enough difference to worry about it unless you are shooting 1000 yds. Where it makes a difference is when you sight in a rifle at Ben Avery (1200 feet) and then go hunting in Colorado at 11,000 feet and need to take a 500 yd shot.