creed

Electronic tags

22 minutes ago, creed said:

Not too sure how I feel about this. Probably going to be the future of not only hunting but everything else.

https://azgfd-portal-wordpress-pantheon.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/archive/Notice-of-Proposed-Rulemaking-Tag-Modernization.pdf

Agree this is the direction we are headed.  Going to be interesting when you electronically "use" your tag, it will probably add a geolocation.  What if your apple battery dies while in the field?  Hope the wardens carry a portable quick charger!

• Like 2

Thats pretty interesting,

if this pass's you have to carry your cel phone while hunting. (so much for being away from technology while hunting).  The you have to worry about everyone knowing your location while hunting and were you killed your animal. Wonder if they will pass this list out to guides like they do your drawing results.

• Like 1

I am a dinosaur. That said, the proposed ruling seems to be an either/or option. Does not say you have to have an electronic tag, just IF you happen to chose that method, the tag can only be used once.

Am I supposed to carry my computer out on my hunt? NO! I have a dumb phone and it will stay that way so I will always chose the paper tag.

I am an old fart, retired. I can read a paper map, not need GPS to get to my doctor's appt, only use the box-o-rocks to check my balance when it really matters. And when this box dies, so be it.

• Like 2

For now, then they change it to everyone. Just like the paper app a few years back..

• Like 1

Agreed, it is probably coming. If I am still hunting, I still will not carry a phone. My camera may be digital, but those are MY pics and locations, not the world's.

Maybe I'll have to visit poach-a-doe canyon more often.

Interesting concept. I wonder how the electronic tagging will work as far as when the tag has to be applied. Now we tag it right after the kill. If you dont have service do you just wait until you get seevice? 

This sounds similar to New Mexico's system. I've tried E-tag and it is convenient. They have it worked to where you have verify kill immediately upon internet service if you're hunting our of signal.

To free up 220k or whatever it would end up as would be beneficial for them. I still prefer paper tags, but convenience and technology seems to be the way the world is going nowadays. 

I don’t love the idea of it but it will definitely help with the lack of harvest reporting we have here. 

• Like 1

The G&F profit margin rises when they don't have to print out and mail tags.

I guess it’s better than waiting in the G$F parking lot for an hour to buy tags because they won’t let anyone in the building because of the flu. 

The other positive is my wallet won’t be so thick all year with OTC tags. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JSR said:

The G&F profit margin rises when they don't have to print out and mail tags.

There will be no profit, as they're not a 'for profit' entity. 

If there is savings from this, it will simply be absorbed by other line items.  Now whether they use it wisely (Or according to how sportsmen think they should....) is a completely different matter.  ;)

I really don't see how or why the electronic tagging would be a bad idea.  If folks want to do it, great.  If not, then that's fine too (At least for now. lol).

Some folks are going to have to switch up their tag soup recipes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3