Newbie71

Predator & Furbearer Meat?

Studying the AZ Trapper course. Pretty excited. 

Question:

Just what do you do with the meat & bones of predators & furbearers? I know the pelts are saved & other requirements. What about the rest? Toss it? Grind it, cook it & feed to pets? Coyote jerky!!! Sorry, had to go there.

If your cage trapping you won't catch a lion but if you kill one you have to legally keep the meat.

That aside there's lots of gland that you can take off Bobcats to make a lure. 

Aside from that if you do catch an animal depending on what you're targeting rub the animal's body all over the cages after you've made sure to take your scent off of it and the more it smells like animals the better.

When I catch mice and rats in my Bait Box when doing Pest Control I'll rub their bodies all over the inside and outside of the box and it definitely helps.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

If your cage trapping you won't catch a lion but if you kill one you have to legally keep the meat.

That aside there's lots of gland that you can take off Bobcats to make a lure. 

Aside from that if you do catch an animal depending on what you're targeting rub the animal's body all over the cages after you've made sure to take your scent off of it and the more it smells like animals the better.

When I catch mice and rats in my Bait Box when doing Pest Control I'll rub their bodies all over the inside and outside of the box and it definitely helps.

Thank you for the advice! Not sure of what kind of trapping I will be using since I haven't reached that part in the book. Just got the book. 

21 minutes ago, Newbie71 said:

Well on public land only cage trapping is legal. That basically limits you to bobcats and smaller critters.  

• Like 1

Lion and bobcat meat is a rather sweet tasty piece of white meat.  I would rate lion over bobcat but would not pass over either.  We do most of ours on the grill after an overnight soak in a marinade.  If you have friends over don't tell them what it is until they have finished and listen to them tell you how great it was.  

• Like 1