520couse

GRANDPA'S OLD MATCH FA 30-06 BRASS?

Frankford Arsenal, M72 (?) w/ 173 gr. boattail bullet.  Arsenal match ammo and brass is known to be very good.  I think that is late enough that it is not corrosive primed, but you may want to google it to confirm.  Nice thing about arsenal brass is it uses conventional primers, not crimped.  Good stuff for handloaders.  If you decide to shoot it for accuracy, what the old-timers used to do was run each round into a FL die with seating depth just low enough to crack the seal around the mouth of the case.  Arsenal match ammo is meant to have a LONG shelf life.  It will shoot just fine out of M1 Garands, in fact, if you know of anyone with a match-conditioned Garand, they might want it.  But it is also good, accurate, blasting ammo out of any '06.  Pressure is low.  Velocity should be around 2,640.  I have shot hundreds of rounds of it in competition, including 1000 yd.  If you are sure it is reloaded ammo, disregard above, but brass is still good.  You might pull a bullet and weigh the powder, just to have that info.  IMR 4895 was popular in those days.

From your pic it looks like you have Frankfort Arsenal and Lake City brass.  It's government issued brass. A Google search will give you the story on either.  If those rounds were in a sealed box, they are loaded Arsenal ammo, if they were loose, no telling how many times they have been loaded. In a bolt gun if reloaded correctly that brass will last forever.

I got about 200 rds loose in a ammo can.

Some definitely have ejector marks.

But some also red paint on the bottom.

Thanks for the help.

I already have a load worked up for the -06 so I Ireally don't intend on shooting it if someone is interested let me know.