Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Best Salmon Fishing in the Lower 48 (or Vancouver)?

Unfortunately our  2021 family vacations plans have hit multiple snags and the summer is turning into a bit of a bummer. My wife and I chatted last and agreed we need to start planning well in advance for summer 2022 to make it extra great and allow plenty of time to save. We have always wanted to visit the pacific northwest and a big part of that would need to include some salmon fishing. Having never done a trip like this I have a lot of questions and figured this would be the group to ask. I'll start with our particulars.

• Family of five. (Wife and I with our kids who will be ages 17, 13, and 12) All enjoy fishing.
  • I have Southwest flight vouchers, so we can go anywhere they fly for near free. Would also be willing to rent a car to drive (example, fly to Seattle and drive to Vancouver).
  • We will probably go for 5-7 days and want other things to do in addition to fishing.
  • We would probably do at least 1 full day fishing charter during the trip
  • Due to our oldest son's football schedule, we would need to travel between June 1st and mid-July. The week before or after the 4th of July would be most ideal. The footballs gods (his coaches) allow 1 whole practice free week all summer around July 4th.

With these particulars in mind, here are a few questions:

• Where is the best salmon fishing given these particulars, Alaska would be awesome, but probably isn't realistic due to wanting to stick with a Southwest flight
    • I'm thinking Seattle or Vancouver. We could actually spend a few days in each location, but does one have better salmon fishing at that time of year?
    • From what I read, Seattle has more restriction on how many and what you can keep. (I love eating salmon) Can anyone confirm this?
    • Due to current exchange rates, Vancouver seems to offer slightly better pricing.
    • Any great charters anyone would recommend or anyone we should avoid?
    • Within this window of time, is there a more ideal time for a better salmon bite (early June vs mid July), or should I be looking at a different time entirely?
  • What other attractions within driving range (ideally under 3 hours) would you see/visit in the area?
  • VRBO/AirBNB or hotel in this area?

Lastly, should we scrap this idea entirely and do something entirely different?

• Not interested in Disney type stuff at this time.
  • Must be somewhere with nice summer weather to escape the heat.
  • We aren't a museum type of family, we like the outdoors and nature.

Any constructive opinions or suggestions appreciated.

Also, before it gets said, I know the pacific northwest is full of liberal hippies. Just looking to visit, not move there! 😂

And awesome sites to see, I. Want to get up there myself. Hippies, harmless keep us informed.

IVe heard good things about cabin rentals on rivers near the ocean in Oregon. Honestly I haven’t researched any of it. From what I’m told, salmon fishing is good from the cabin but no idea what time of year or where. Sorry I’m no help what so ever.

• Like 1

I have no knowledge of Vancouver but I would look at doing whatever you’d like to do in Seattle and not plan on fishing from there directly. 

There are charters for Coho (aka Silver) salmon and usually the limit is 2. You might check a Chinook (king) but Coho is probably pretty reliable by mid July. Earlier probably not as much. Grays Harbor is the area I am familiar with.

They run albacore tuna charters out of that port too. It would be a full day trip from Seattle and require an overnight stay. I would probably fish for tuna one day and Coho the next.

If you have a car rental you can pay for it to be ferried  across the Puget Sound and drive down Highway 101 through the Olympic Peninsula to get to Grays Harbor. That is an incredible drive and  an experience in and of itself. Plenty of water on the way too. 

You can also fish in some of the coastal trib rivers east and north of Seattle, But if you want to catch and kill fish go to the ocean. 

It’s been almost a decade but the last time I fished out of Grays Harbor the limit was three and the five people we had on our charter boat limited no problem. 

• Like 1

Lake Michigan has excellent fishing for coho, Chinook, Lakers, Browns, rainbows, smallies.  There's a lake or river ~every 15 miles in Wisconsin, lots of opportunities for fishing boating and swimming.  Probably cost a lot less than anywhere in the PNW and I doubt you'll run into too many hippies.  

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/Fishing/anglereducation/wheretofish

https://www.vrbo.com/484767

https://wildmanranch.com/

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/parks/kms

• Like 2

We used to fish gig harbor this time of the year for sea run cutthroats and kings/ silver. granted that was years ago.

Gig harbor is by the narrows bridge

grays harbor is pretty good as well and generally not as many people. the more north you go the better.

Then about an hour or so north of the Columbia river theres a town along the coast that had fantastic ocean salmon fishing. cant remember the name of it.

• Like 1

Lived in Portland and Seattle and have spent some time in Vancouver. Portland salmon run in those months but the best fishing is close to downtown. The coast gets really good in August. Beautiful coastline and forests but the city is no longer a place I would go. Seattle is not very good for salmon IMO and the city is the same as Portland. Homeless and crime issues now. Vancouver is one of the really beautiful cities with lots to do and good museums. Fishing will be good there. I would go there. Great restaurants and nice people.

image.thumb.png.b1f2cf53f42f585b3ed9f5c1d024da53.pngimage.thumb.png.2d5f5459d7de882cc8317dd06d99ce4d.png

Michigan is awesome for the fall spawn in the rivers! I see guys tearing it up near San Francisco in the ocean too. You have a lot of options. I can point you in the right direction if Michigan sounds like something you might be interested in. The fish are usually in the rivers good in mid October.

• Like 2

Fly into Seattle and rent a car and take ferry across puget sound and drive out to Westport.  You’ll be too early for albacore but salmon and bottom fish should be good.  Rent a 6 pack boat for the day (I can get you a name if you’d like) and you’ll catch some fish.  Don’t waste your time in puget sound.  Limits are non existent and so are salmon runs.  If you want to spend a little more money and take another day out on the Olympic peninsula, try drift fishing for salmon on one of the coastal rivers.  That’s a ton of fun too.  

My inlaws live in Tacoma and we’ve messed around on puget sound a bunch and this is the only keeper salmon I’ve ever caught there.   The background gives up my spot!  

1EA44CC3-90CA-4C76-839B-1B8955A0C1DB.thumb.jpeg.dd6619c111fb3b9dae3e9c20069f418d.jpeg

• Like 3

yotebuster is correct. I lived in Tacoma and fished the sound a lot. Went to Westport also. When it wasn't raining we were fishing.

• Like 1