Sundevils79

Good Pair of 15x or 16x

I am looking to get a new pair of low to mid end 15x binos. Can't afford the swaro's or leica's but can spend up to about $700. Do you guys have any suggestions or product reviews?

I have researched the following as options that all fit my price range:

Vortex Viper 15x50

NIKON ACTION EXTREME EX 16X50

Minox BD 15x58 ED BR

Zeiss Conquest 15x45B T*

Bushnell Infinity 8-16x42 Zoom

Pentax 20x60 PCF WP II

Just looking for some advice.

On that list, the Minox are the best value, IMO.

they are very bright and clear, but big and heavy and the eye cups can be a little annoying.

I used them for 5 years and never regretted the purchase.

I have the Pentax. Love them. Save some money for a good tripod as well.

I have the Minox and have been very pleased. Check with Doug at Camera Land for them or other options.

I have the Minox they are really good, but they are heavy as mentioned before. I have not really spent any time behind the others except for the pentax. They were OK but I like the Minox.

you shoul check out the bruntons also. i nlike them better than the vortex.

Sparky:

Which Bruntons, the Eternas? I've been looking at those as well as you can now pick up a pair of 15x51's for a little over $300.

KP

I have a good good buddy who swears his 13x56 Minox are brighter than his Swaro's... Granted, I think hes full of cow dung, but they would be a worth a shot atleast?

you shoul check out the bruntons also. i nlike them better than the vortex.

Sparky:

Which Bruntons, the Eternas? I've been looking at those as well as you can now pick up a pair of 15x51's for a little over $300.

KP

yup.my buddy has them and theyre pretty sweet. only thing that could be better is theyrebrightness in low light. well worth the cash.

I have a good good buddy who swears his 13x56 Minox are brighter than his Swaro's... Granted, I think hes full of cow dung, but they would be a worth a shot atleast?

I agree, the Minox would be a great choice.

Desertbull is exactly right, the quality of glass for the money is great with the Minox, but those eyecups will drive you crazy. Still what I use though, have had mine for 5 years and dont plan to upgrade any time soon. My brother has the Zeiss and they are much lighter and more compact but I have not yet used them so dont know the head to head quality yet.

In the 50mm class, the bruntons are the best. I can't use big objective roofs because my eyes are to close together, probably a joke in there about my intelligence. I've been using heavy porros and decided to try a smaller objective roof for backpacking hunts and as a loner pair. The bruntons are alot better than the vortex and as sharp as the zuess. This last month I've spent 14 days behind them scouting elk and archery antelope hunting. My buddy had his swaros during 4 of those days, one day we stood in the rain for hours watching antelope, 2 miles away, this is what we decided after different light conditions. The brunton had 90% light gathering compared to the swaros, more just a light washout effect, colors not quite as bright during low light. Sharpness great even in low light and rain, he was suprised at how close to the swaros they were, he said he couldn't tell enough difference between them but really wanted too.

I'm not saying they are as good as the high end stuff, but there are reasons guys have for not being able to spend $2000.00 on optics or unable to use the big roofs. There are decent alternatives out there that work. I love my 10X52 Minox HG and really wanted to have the new 13's work for me, no go, probably the best buy going.

Anyway, the Bruntons are best in the 50mm class and at $313.00 are a steal, at half their original price I have a feeling they're being closed out. The Minox is your best choice in the bigger objective for your price range.

The pentax are not very good as a total package, about 80% optically and not comfortable to use. Yet somethings better than nothing and I have a set of 16X60's that I bought years ago and actually glassed up coues deer with at long range, the one hunt I used them on. I will send them to you or anyone else that needs something to get them started for free.

For myself I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get the 10+15 X 50 duovids someday.

Kent