12 minutes ago, AZtroutman said:

Which one of those bucks that are being long armed are 190+ besides the bottom left buck? The almost 3 point or the crab claw 4 point? 75% of guys wouldn't know what a 190+ buck looks like if it ran them over.

Screenshot_20210709-153656_Chrome.jpg

AZ Troutman,

I think we get hung up on #'s. If we actually saw all the bucks that come off the strip and Kaibab, there are plenty that are far less than trophy status by the numbers game. The reality of unit 3a/3c is it has plenty of mature animals of trophy status. Age class is there just need to have the patience to sift through them or you shoot the buck that you are happy to hang your tag on because that is what really matters. I am stoked to have the December hunt and like most guys will be working my butt of to shoot a buck of a lifetime. At the end of the day we are super blessed to have the opportunity to hunt such a great state! Respectfully, Mark

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AZtroutman said:

Which one of those bucks that are being long armed are 190+ besides the bottom left buck? The almost 3 point or the crab claw 4 point? 75% of guys wouldn't know what a 190+ buck looks like if it ran them over.

Screenshot_20210709-153656_Chrome.jpg

Even the smallest one of those is bigger then the biggest bucks on the other website I was looking at. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Markleo21377 said:

AZ Troutman,

I think we get hung up on #'s. If we actually saw all the bucks that come off the strip and Kaibab, there are plenty that are far less than trophy status by the numbers game. The reality of unit 3a/3c is it has plenty of mature animals of trophy status. Age class is there just need to have the patience to sift through them or you shoot the buck that you are happy to hang your tag on because that is what really matters. I am stoked to have the December hunt and like most guys will be working my butt of to shoot a buck of a lifetime. At the end of the day we are super blessed to have the opportunity to hunt such a great state! Respectfully, Mark

I absolutely agree with your assessment of 3c. And if everyone described it like that I would agree. But not the yeah so and so killed 5 190+ bucks there last year. Now the December hunt is a whole different ballgame. Bucks can come from anywhere to rut all of those does and I would then say you could maybe hope for a 190". Congrats and good luck on your hunt.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yotebuster said:

Can someone explain the allure of the 3a/3c tag for me?  I see a lot of publicity about it, and have spent little time in there, but the guides putting the collages on FB are putting up piles of pics of 145-165 bucks on them?  Seems like there’s one good one that comes out of there (190+) every year but a whole pile of 3 yr old 22” bucks as well.  It seems to me that just about every unit I’ve spent time in south of the canyon can produce about like that.  I hear of NR burning 20+ points on that tag, wondering if it’s just buying the hype or of I’m missing something?  Nothing wrong with 140-160 bucks but a guy can shoot bucks like that annually on no point type hunts across the west.  

3a3c for muleys is like 4b for elk.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Markleo21377 said:

AZ Troutman,

What hunt did you get 

36 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

True.  Just seems to me that AZ points are such a golden ticket to big Miley’s.  The thing about MT, or WY or any of those, is there’s a lot of medium and small critters but your odds of a giant like you can have a chance at in AZ is essentially non existent.  Atleast with a kaibab early tag you can know there’s a 220 buck somewhere in the unit.  In MT, WY and 3a/3c the odds of that are almost nonexistent from what I’ve gathered.  

I put in for the archery hunt in 3c. Let's just say if I got the tag, I liked my chances at something strip worthy. 

It was one of my favorite units for years.  Well actually 3A was, most mean 3C when talking about the unit.  It’s still good though.  Roads are everywhere so you won’t have an issue getting around.

12 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

It was one of my favorite units for years.  Well actually 3A was, most mean 3C when talking about the unit.  It’s still good though.  Roads are everywhere so you won’t have an issue getting around.

I have seem some big bucks in the cedars!

Say what you want, Burnt timber kill kills slobs just about every year.  Solid outfit that consistently puts mature animals on the ground. Last year they had a great year and produced some solid bucks, some of which, were over 190" if score matters to you. 

3a/3c has a good population of decent bucks, with multiple bucks in the 180+ range coming out each year.  High deer densities with the potential for a jumbo.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Say what you want, Burnt timber kill kills slobs just about every year.  Solid outfit that consistently puts mature animals on the ground. Last year they had a great year and produced some solid bucks, some of which, were over 190" if score matters to you. 

3a/3c has a good population of decent bucks, with multiple bucks in the 180+ range coming out each year.  High deer densities with the potential for a jumbo.

Lol