firstcoueswas80

AZGFD paying youtubers?

1 minute ago, zslayer said:

You are correct on the 10% non resident cap for draw tags only.   Where it has hurt is the OTC archery tags that are unlimited and caused such crowding that AZGFD  now has to start eliminating that option.  I’m guessing in the next 1-2 years OTC tags will be eliminated completely as result of overcrowding.

It's all related. The spillover is leftover coues tags that were OTC are now 2-3+ points. Archery will be a draw soon. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Big or Bust said:

It's all related. The spillover is leftover coues tags that were OTC are now 2-3+ points. Archery will be a draw soon. 

💯

The Bab used too get 15,000 plus archery hunters, mainly from Cali, nipped that in the butt by making a 500tag draw. Some of or animals need a break. They gave us back December and January back a few years back after closing those hunts do to low Hurd numbers, with the fires and predictors , were there again. Kill / hunt the predictors.

3 hours ago, zslayer said:

You are correct on the 10% non resident cap for draw tags only.   Where it has hurt is the OTC archery tags that are unlimited and caused such crowding that AZGFD  now has to start eliminating that option.  I’m guessing in the next 1-2 years OTC tags will be eliminated completely as result of overcrowding.

That's what some people don't get its archery hunts that got screwed. They make all these changes without actually doing mandatory Harvest reports, it's all just a guessing game for game and fish

18 minutes ago, Shawn said:

That's what some people don't get its archery hunts that got screwed. They make all these changes without actually doing mandatory Harvest reports, it's all just a guessing game for game and fish

I'm just curious how many western states have a mandatory harvest reports? I know NM does and do they allow OTC deer hunts.  Are there any western states that have OTC deer tags. The states that don't have mandatory harvest reports are their Wildlife agencies just guessing?

11 minutes ago, 654321 said:

I'm just curious how many western states have a mandatory harvest reports? I know NM does and do they allow OTC deer hunts.  Are there any western states that have OTC deer tags. The states that don't have mandatory harvest reports are their Wildlife agencies just guessing?

If you don't have sure facts it would just be guessing to a point.

8 minutes ago, Shawn said:

If you don't have sure facts it would just be guessing to a point.

I don't know of a Wildlife agency in the country that uses pure facts to determine wildlife populations or hunter harvest.  I do believe agencies use the best wildlife science  tools they have at making their best guesses though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 654321 said:

I don't know of a Wildlife agency in the country that uses pure facts to determine wildlife populations or hunter harvest.  I do believe agencies use the best wildlife science  tools they have at making their best guesses though.

Many states have mandatory harvest reporting and AZ does not. I would say they are not using the best wildlife science tools available.

Not using mandatory harvest data is just guessing.  How can you close or keep a unit open based on your own guidelines of how many/percentage of deer were killed during OTC?   

THEY GUESS - based off of hunter survey data that there is no incentive to respond to.  I'm sure they'll tell you that they armchair biology some sort of algorithm that takes that into account.    

No surprise our department can't do something else other states have figured out out 

1 hour ago, ForkHorn said:

Many states have mandatory harvest reporting and AZ does not. I would say they are not using the best wildlife science tools available.

Not using mandatory harvest data is just guessing.  How can you close or keep a unit open based on your own guidelines of how many/percentage of deer were killed during OTC?   

THEY GUESS - based off of hunter survey data that there is no incentive to respond to.  I'm sure they'll tell you that they armchair biology some sort of algorithm that takes that into account.    

No surprise our department can't do something else other states have figured out out 

So you're saying that people are 100% honest when they mandatory report? Unless they are physically checking in the animal I highly doubt it so what makes that data any more accurate.

It's a fairly simple process. If you kill a deer and you don't report it, it's a violation.  The blueprint is out there already.  

I have no problem defending AZGFD when it's appropriate but the YouTube issue, the draw, and mandatory harvest are all problems.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ForkHorn said:

It's a fairly simple process. If you kill a deer and you don't report it, it's a violation.  The blueprint is out there already.  

I have no problem defending AZGFD when it's appropriate but the YouTube issue, the draw, and mandatory harvest are all problems.

So you think people turn in truthful data because they're worried about a violation, sure they do.  I know plenty of people now that lie on the surveys the AZGFD sends out because they think they won't get tags because they're to successful or they will cut tags in their favorite unit ect. ect. Unless it is a physical  mandatory check in of the animal who's to say mandatory reporting is any more accurate than statistical data with a plus or minus error.  As for the YouTube issue what's the difference in the AZGFD paying a Randy Newberg to promote  hunting opportunities or paying for a billboard or radio time, bumper stickers that say fish AZ. The department certainly needs to clean up the CC fiascos they seem to keep having no doubt.  

1. You don't understand the difference between obeying the law of a mandatory report and people lying on an optional survey?   Why make it mandatory to buy a license. We'll send out a survey.

2.  You don't understand the difference between paying Randy Newberg to advertise to out of state hunters, and a billboard in AZ encouraging residents to get outside and fish, etc?

Great dialogue but I'm not sure you understand your own side.

17 minutes ago, 654321 said:

So you think people turn in truthful data because they're worried about a violation, sure they do.  I know plenty of people now that lie on the surveys the AZGFD sends out because they think they won't get tags because they're to successful or they will cut tags in their favorite unit ect. ect. Unless it is a physical  mandatory check in of the animal who's to say mandatory reporting is any more accurate than statistical data with a plus or minus error.  As for the YouTube issue what's the difference in the AZGFD paying a Randy Newberg to promote  hunting opportunities or paying for a billboard or radio time, bumper stickers that say fish AZ. The department certainly needs to clean up the CC fiascos they seem to keep having no doubt.  

You really don't see the difference in a local billboard vs a world wide web show, or national tv?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

You really don't see the difference in a local billboard vs a world wide web show, or national tv?

The difference I see is the department gets way more bang for their buck from paying Randy than paying for billboards or thousands of bumper stickers.   I get it that people are mad now because tags might be harder to get. I've been hunting 36B since 1994 and seen some of the spots I hunt on YouTube and yeah it sucks that there aren't leftover permits anymore but I can't really blame the AZGFD for trying to promote hunting in the state and in the process generate more money.  I think if you look at just about all western states there has been a significant increase in the number of applicants compared to available tags and I don't believe it's all because of YouTube.