Sign in to follow this  
SirRoyal

Field & Stream Article on Arizona Trail cam ban

Great article. Nice to see a write-up that shines light on this ban for what is vs what the commission wants you to believe or what you see/hear from people uninformed on the situation. Was clearly from the start a personal agenda of Kurt and Todd's and the stunts pulled to make it happen are frankly laughable. I was curious what the final tally was regarding the last public comment period. Surprised to see it was 1,019 opposed to a mere 71 in support!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

About time that they banned trail cams. I see that you don't like talking about the first round of comments back in January that went in favor of a trail cam ban or regulations to cameras 1274 to 1200. Also in the second round of comments March 11th through April 11th, they didn't even ask people to comment on whether they wanted a ban or not. They said to comment on the two new proposals of a quarter mile from water, and trail cams from February 1st thru June 30th as long as they're not placed within a quarter mile of a water source. I remember you going out telling people to send comments for a non ban, but nothing was ever mentioned in the Arizona Game and Fish email that was sent out to comment on supporting a trail cam ban. So in the second round of comments people probably had no idea whether to comment in support of a ban because they weren't asked to.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Confused 1

Thank You for the Trail Cam Ban!!!!! We appreciate the effort of the AZGFD Commission to implement a law that supports Fair Chase in Arizona!.... Sir Royal this article Nixon and yourself came up with sounds like a couple whiners that didn’t get their way.... Let’s get into the article a bit...In 2018 live cams were banned which was ok with you. Makes sense you would be ok with this, because you were still able to place your battery and solar cams at every water source.... In 2018 when it came to the rule on not allowing trail cams within a 1/4 mile from water you completely disagreed with that, because you said that’s where hunters use them. ...Well, that’s the main reason they’re now outlawed because most guides placed 10-15 cams on every water source! .....You mentioned it was wrong for the Commission to ask for a rule-making session because trail cams present a threat to public peace and safety....Overall I think the Commission highlighted the public peace and safety threat as well as Fair Chase throughout the process. The Fair Chase concerns with Trail cams alone were enough to lock this ban up, nothing else was even needed. I assume the commission didn’t explain it to your comprehension level when they voted 5-0 to ban them.  ....Sir Royal/Nixon stated this trail cam ban is driven by one Commissioners opinion? That’s why we have five Commissioners that each vote. It is not one Commissioner forcing the others to vote against cams..lol! ....Sir Royal/Nixon you mention just because you have a picture of an animal doesn’t mean you are going to pattern let alone kill an animal.. Of course you might not pattern/harvest every animal your Trail Cam takes a picture of, but trail cams do significantly help your odds at locating, patterning and harvesting game. By not being present and in the field to locate and harvest game is directly against Fair Chase. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

regardless of your views on cameras, this should be disturbing to anyone who hunts. Non hunters making the rules for hunting.

One commissioner hasn’t hunted the state of Arizona in 9½ years. A second is a lifelong cattleman who doesn’t hunt, and a third is a cattleman who hunts turkeys occasionally.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

30 minutes ago, JSR said:

regardless of your views on cameras, this should be disturbing to anyone who hunts. Non hunters making the rules for hunting.

One commissioner hasn’t hunted the state of Arizona in 9½ years. A second is a lifelong cattleman who doesn’t hunt, and a third is a cattleman who hunts turkeys occasionally.

Kurt R. Davis, Commission Chairman – Phoenix

Kurt R. Davis

Kurt R. Davis of Phoenix was confirmed as a member of the Arizona Game and Fish Commission by the Arizona Senate on Jan. 25, 2017, after being reappointed by Gov. Doug Ducey. Davis was appointed to his first 5-year term in 2012 by then-Governor Jan Brewer, and he served as Commission Chairman in 2015-16.

An avid hunter and angler, he is a founding partner at FirstStrategic Communications and Public Affairs, where he specializes in strategic public policy development for nonprofit clients, issues relating to rural Arizona, and government relations. Prior to forming FirstStrategic, Mr. Davis served as vice president of public affairs & marketing at Northern Arizona University. Earlier, he was vice president of public affairs & corporate communications at Rural/Metro, a company that provides fire and ambulance services to communities across the country.

While at Rural/Metro, Mr. Davis was asked by then-Governor Fife Symington to take a leave of absence from the company to serve as executive assistant/deputy chief of staff for the Office of the Governor. In that role, he had policy responsibility for executive agencies such as the departments of Transportation, Corrections, State Land, Game and Fish, and others. Mr. Davis has also served as director of intergovernmental affairs & issues analysis at the Arizona Attorney General’s Office, executive director of the Arizona Republican Party, and held several appointed positions in the Reagan administration. He served as a gubernatorial appointment to the Arizona Board of Regents, the Vision 21 Transportation Task Force, and the Arizona State Board for Charter Schools.

Mr. Davis serves as a board member for the Great Hearts Academies, the Arizona Chamber of Commerce, and on Arizona State University’s Ramsey Executive Program for Public Policy. He received his Bachelor of Science degree from Northern Arizona University in 1984. Contact Me.

Leland S. “Bill” Brake, member – Elgin

Commissioner_Brake_200.jpgLeland “Bill” Brake of Elgin was confirmed as a member of the Arizona Game and Fish Commission by the Arizona Senate on March 6, 2018, following his appointment by Gov. Doug Ducey. An avid wildlife enthusiast, he has promoted activities with various wildlife groups in coordination with the Game and Fish Department to encourage involvement of youth and women in wildlife programs. Mr. Brake has owned and operated ranches in various Arizona counties for 50 years and has served as past president and current board member of the Arizona Cattle Growers’ Association, chairing its Wildlife Committee.

He has served as an agriculture consultant for DuPont Agriculture and as chief operating officer and president for distribution of heavy fuels and asphalt for HollyFrontier, which manufactures and markets a variety of asphalt-related products. He served as past chairman of the Arizona Rock Products Association. Mr. Brake is active in the community, serving as a board member and current chair of the Advisory Committee for the University of Arizona’s School of Natural Resources (Wildlife and Range Management), and on the Resource Advisory Committee (RAC) for the Bureau of Land Management for Arizona. He earned a Bachelor of Science in Range Management, with a minor in Wildlife Management, from the University of Arizona. Contact Me.

James E. Goughnour, member – Payson

James-E.-Goughnour-Gila-Co_200.jpg

James E. Goughnour of Payson was confirmed as a member of the Arizona Game and Fish Commission by the Arizona Senate on Jan. 29, 2019 following his appointment by Gov. Doug Ducey. He has lived in Arizona for more than 40 years and is a driving force for wildlife conservation and outdoor recreation in the Payson area. He is the owner of Rim Country Custom Rods, a small business that designs and builds custom fishing rods. Prior to starting his business, he worked 26 years for General Dynamics Aerospace Systems Group (previously Motorola Space Systems Group), culminating in his position as project manager responsible for all aspects of the Aerospace Operations Program.

Goughnour is active in the community. He is the immediate past president of the Mogollon Sporting Association (MSA), a not-for-profit 501(c)3 volunteer organization that raises funds to benefit wildlife conservation and youth education programs throughout the Mogollon Rim area. He has also chaired the Payson Special Volunteer Committee, where he led a group of business owners, county and town representatives, and volunteers to develop a plan to attract national-level bass fishing tournaments to Roosevelt Lake and promote Payson as the “Host Town.” Several FLW (Forest L. Wood) and two WON (Western Outdoors News) national bass fishing tournaments have since been conducted at Roosevelt Lake,

Goughnour chairs the Gila County Roundtable, a group of Gila County anglers working with AZGFD to enhance fishing conditions at Roosevelt Lake. He is an active member of the Bass Anglers Sportsman Society (B.A.S.S.), FLW, the National Rifle Association, and the Tonto Rim Sports Club. He earned a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the University of Phoenix. Contact me.

Todd G. Geiler, member – Prescott

Todd-G-Geiler_200.jpg

Todd G. Geiler, O.D., of Prescott, maintains a solo optometric practice that his grandfather began in 1946 in Prescott. A lifelong outdoorsman, Dr. Geiler is an avid hunter and advocate for conservation of all of Arizona’s diverse wildlife and their habitats.

He volunteers his time involving young people in a full spectrum of our Arizona’s outdoor activities. He spearheaded a partnership with the City of Prescott and the Arizona Game and Fish Department providing the youth of Prescott, Prescott Valley and Chino Valley with a Kids Free Fishing Day. This day encourages children to spend time outdoors fishing and learning hands-on conservation. He is a Benefactor member of the National Rifle Association and a member of numerous other organizations, including the Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society, the Arizona Deer Association, Arizona Farm and Ranch Bureau, the Pope and Young Club, the Granite Mountain Archers, Safari Club International, Prescott Sportsmen’s Club, Kiwanis Club of Prescott, and other local organizations.

Dr. Geiler earned a bachelor of visual science and doctorate of optometry from Pacific University in Forest Grove, Oregon. Prior to that, he attended Glendale Community College and Northern Arizona University for pre-doctoral studies with an emphasis on physics and finance. Contact me.
Clay Hernandez, member – Tucson

Clay-Hernandez_AZGFD-Commissioner_200.jp

Clay Hernandez, of Tucson, was confirmed as a member of the Arizona Game and Fish Commission by the Arizona Senate on Feb. 2, following his appointment by Gov. Doug Ducey. A longtime angler and hunter, he has dedicated nearly 30 years to wildlife conservation and is a member of Trout Unlimited, the National Wild Turkey Federation, the Arizona Elk Society, the Arizona Antelope Foundation, and Project Healing Waters of Southern Arizona.

He is active in the community and has served as president of the Old Pueblo (Tucson) chapter of Trout Unlimited and was on the board of the Tucson Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation. He has volunteered as a fly fishing guide for Project Healing Waters in Arizona, Colorado and Alaska. He also volunteered for four years in an Outdoor Studies class for a Tucson High School.

Hernandez has called Arizona home for more than 40 years and has been a practicing attorney in Tucson since 1986. He received a Bachelor of Science degree from Arizona State University in 1981 and his Juris Doctorate from the University of Arizona in 1986. He is a licensed pilot and speaks two languages. Contact me.

I'd like to see which commissioners you're referring to.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, 654321 said:

I'd like to see which commissioners you're referring to.

The quote I provided came from the Field and Stream article.

Ask the author.

3 hours ago, JSR said:

Ask the author.

Wrong, that was Ron Nixon saying that..  that article was entertaining to read.  

Doesn't look like it's helped Josiah's cause tho.  His gofundhim has been stagnant.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HuntHarder said:

Wrong, that was Ron Nixon saying that..  that article was entertaining to read.  

Doesn't look like it's helped Josiah's cause tho.  His gofundhim has been stagnant.  

I copied it right from the article.

9 hours ago, JSR said:

Ask the author.

No thanks I'll just actually go straight to the source, the commissioners Bio I posted, give them a read heck send them a comment if you'd like their contacts are right there.

• Like 1