Sign in to follow this  
SirRoyal

Field & Stream Article on Arizona Trail cam ban

4 hours ago, savagman said:

Report, report, report.  And now instead of someone checking their camera while you are in your blind it will be AZGFD investigating reports of cameras....  Let the circus begin...

Yep, report, report, report, and let’s make sure the game and fish is enforcing the laws they create.  I suggest emailing every commissioner as well when you see a camera you suspect is being use to aid in the take of wildlife.  Hold the G&F accountable for the circus they create with their new law!!!!

• Like 3

On 7/12/2021 at 5:18 AM, JSR said:

regardless of your views on cameras, this should be disturbing to anyone who hunts. Non hunters making the rules for hunting.

One commissioner hasn’t hunted the state of Arizona in 9½ years. A second is a lifelong cattleman who doesn’t hunt, and a third is a cattleman who hunts turkeys occasionally.

Whoa!  I haven't hunted big game in AZ but TWICE in the last 10 years either.  Mainly because I suck at drawing tags, but not hunting in AZ for 9.5 years is a very legitimate wait if you are trying to draw premium tags.  My last elk tag took 18 years.  I had 26 BPs for pronghorn and still struck out this year.  Haven't had a deer tag since 2014.

2 hours ago, 654321 said:

Rules are rules and just because we don’t agree with them doesn’t justify obeying them, so come January 1st anyone caught and found guilty of using trail cameras in my eyes will be called a Poacher 

"caught" is the key word... good luck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lancetkenyon said:

Whoa!  I haven't hunted big game in AZ but TWICE in the last 10 years either.  Mainly because I suck at drawing tags, but not hunting in AZ for 9.5 years is a very legitimate wait if you are trying to draw premium tags.  My last elk tag took 18 years.  I had 26 BPs for pronghorn and still struck out this year.  Haven't had a deer tag since 2014.

And because of this I plan to Nominate you for one of the next commissioner openings. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

the only people who like this law are a few of the dyed in the wool guides on the strip who have a competitive advantage now without cams, and once a year warriors around the state who have a misconception of how cams work 

Not a strip guide and get out more than once a year hunter here..

I think you should be able to use cameras all year long as long as you don't leave them on public land.

Do what u want on private land , bait, fly a drone, helicopters, lion piss on tanks to direct your giant buck to your favorite spot,high fence Texas style, whatever floats your coin on your private land.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2021 at 9:08 PM, idgaf said:

After reading their bios I am curious if any of them actually hunt big game. I would love to see a requirement that a commissioner has to have his hunting license 25 consecutive years and has taken at least 6 big game animals. 

Edit.  Quick Google search Mr Davis is a lobbyists 

Edit. Clay hernandez is a defense attorney @ bestlawyers.com

Yes, Todd Geiler is actually the only avid Hunter and a good Hunter! 

On 7/13/2021 at 10:30 AM, wetmule said:

In the article Mr. Royal says he agreed with the commissioners on the ban of live action or cell cams that deliver images via a cell or satellite signal. With both style of cameras you don't have to be physically present in the field to find your target animal. One - you have to go check the camera & pull the card to look at your images. The other - you can sit in your office in Phoenix and look at your images in real time. Seems to me the less impactful, less game stressing type of camera would be the live action cell cam. You wouldn't have guys running in and out of waterholes all day long thus placing less stress on the game trying to water. The issue is the cameras themselves no matter what style they are. The camera is finding your game for you without you needing to be present, in the field.... or even in the same county or state. When you've found where the animal's refrigerator is, 90% of your work is done. Doesn't appear to be fair chase to me. If OP agrees with the ban of live view cams why would he not agree with the ban on passive cams. 

There were 3 problem units is what we were told. The commisson penalized the whole state for those areas. One Size fits all they said. 

We do not even have a problem, with not using them during your hunt or your buddies hunt your helping. I believe we could of had a better solution.  Im running cameras now its a blast I get alot of data and info into wildview through the lense of a trail camera. 

Next year we wont be able to run cameras even during non hunting times because any images you have and you share can and will be used against you . Especially if someone you know uses it as an aid to pursue or harvest the animal you have on camera. UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES. 

It has nothing to do with Fair chase( its the excuse). it was a personal agenda picked up by Chairman Davis by promising the Folks over at the Legislature he would deal with the issue through the Commission.  

The LIE ( Significant Public Health Safety Threat) without any research or any scientific research) never one time has been addressed by AZGFD or the Commissioners they have avoided it from day one! WHY?

They changed their narrative to Fair Chase . Interesting fact is Charles Podolak is retiring . He is the one who gave them permission to open rulemaking.  Folks to much smoke here for there not to be a fire somewhere. That or your just flat out drinking the commissions kool-aid! 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 8:46 PM, 654321 said:

Send them an email and ask for yourself.

What you posted does not disprove anything Ron said. There is only one real hunter on the commission thats Todd Geiler. 

On 7/14/2021 at 4:54 PM, lancetkenyon said:

So no hunting Coyotes or rabbits or lions or bears or javelina or quail ?  No hunting camps helping others or your kids? If so well I guess your not a hunter then only in your mind. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 2:58 AM, AZMONSTERBULL said:

They won’t need to enforce this law, because hunters will take care of any cams left. Cameras won’t last long on water! 

Yep Gonna make thieves out of once Honest people. 

• Like 3

On 7/12/2021 at 12:49 PM, HuntHarder said:

Wrong, that was Ron Nixon saying that..  that article was entertaining to read.  

Doesn't look like it's helped Josiah's cause tho.  His gofundhim has been stagnant.  

Its what you dont see you should be worried about!!!!

• Haha 2

On 7/12/2021 at 2:18 AM, AZMONSTERBULL said:

Thank You for the Trail Cam Ban!!!!! We appreciate the effort of the AZGFD Commission to implement a law that supports Fair Chase in Arizona!.... Sir Royal this article Nixon and yourself came up with sounds like a couple whiners that didn’t get their way.... Let’s get into the article a bit...In 2018 live cams were banned which was ok with you. Makes sense you would be ok with this, because you were still able to place your battery and solar cams at every water source.... In 2018 when it came to the rule on not allowing trail cams within a 1/4 mile from water you completely disagreed with that, because you said that’s where hunters use them. ...Well, that’s the main reason they’re now outlawed because most guides placed 10-15 cams on every water source! .....You mentioned it was wrong for the Commission to ask for a rule-making session because trail cams present a threat to public peace and safety....Overall I think the Commission highlighted the public peace and safety threat as well as Fair Chase throughout the process. The Fair Chase concerns with Trail cams alone were enough to lock this ban up, nothing else was even needed. I assume the commission didn’t explain it to your comprehension level when they voted 5-0 to ban them.  ....Sir Royal/Nixon stated this trail cam ban is driven by one Commissioners opinion? That’s why we have five Commissioners that each vote. It is not one Commissioner forcing the others to vote against cams..lol! ....Sir Royal/Nixon you mention just because you have a picture of an animal doesn’t mean you are going to pattern let alone kill an animal.. Of course you might not pattern/harvest every animal your Trail Cam takes a picture of, but trail cams do significantly help your odds at locating, patterning and harvesting game. By not being present and in the field to locate and harvest game is directly against Fair Chase. 

You dont even make sense. Your a good rambler.  Everything you just said is just your opinion! We stated facts! But your an ostrich and have accepted a goverment agencies one size fits all and we know whats best for you even if you disagree by a huge majority. They love folks like you along with the US Humane society and Sierra Club. All in agreement with them.  PATHETIC!!!!!   More goverment control without a reasonable solution. It could have been done better. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I enjoy running a few cameras and I will miss it but banning the cameras was the right thing to do. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, knothead said:

I enjoy running a few cameras and I will miss it but banning the cameras was the right thing to do. 

Knothead, you need to think about what you just said. They could of just shut it down during a hunt where you held a tag or a guide has a client.  It is pure Enjoyment that yes some have abused but now all must suffer. Next its Fish finders , then rangefinding Binos that gps where your game is.  And long range muzzleloaders and Radios and cell phones . Little by little they take away privileges until your completely dependent on the State for answers of whats right and wrong. AZFGD states In many situations, Fair Chase is not something that is enforceable by law.  Rather it should be guided by each person’s own ethical compass, which compels them to do the right thing when no one else is watching—even when doing the wrong thing is legal. This is on their own website. 

This is a Movement by a commission that gags at gnats and swallows camels!   Wake up you tone Deaf  Hunters.  Where do you draw the line?  Go read their reasons for banning its not even justifiable. They are grasping for straws. Its crazy and all only opinion based. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, SirRoyal said:

Its what you dont see you should be worried about!!!!

Very cryptic.......  I think you like this attention, are you gonna write a book after this is all over? 

• Like 1