varnco

7E - Early Archery

Hunted this unit before, but a late rifle tag instead, about 4 years ago.  I have my tracks down on where I went, sign, etc. It was very dry and a super moon, with no snowfall 

Wondering how this unit will hunt differently with a September 10th Archery hunt, no full moon, but still pretty dry conditions.

I'm guessing that by Sept 10th, they'll be up high most likely, in the timber, to get away from the August OTC Archery deer hunters.

My first trip back to the unit will be in the next two weeks to get familiar with the unit again, find the open/closed roads/trails and see how dry it is (again).

Thanks.

The slate fire last month burned a bunch of good areas in 7E.  I have had this hunt and we found elk from top to bottom.  On the peaks all the way to unit 9 boundary.  There are lots of elk, but finding a big bull can be challenging.  On my hunt, it seemed like 80% of the hunters where in about a 3x3 mile area.  Water was key on our hunt.  Good luck man!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

The slate fire last month burned a bunch of good areas in 7E.  I have had this hunt and we found elk from top to bottom.  On the peaks all the way to unit 9 boundary.  There are lots of elk, but finding a big bull can be challenging.  On my hunt, it seemed like 80% of the hunters where in about a 3x3 mile area.  Water was key on our hunt.  Good luck man!

Thanks... I didn't hear that any significant portion of 7E recently. I guess I'll see when I'm up there later this month when I get up there, but it looks like the slate fire took out the top NW section of 7e.. out in the PJ flats. That just means the moved somewhere... to find that somewhere is the challenge. Thanks!

Water and feed is what you need. With as dry as it has been I would bet most of the tanks out in the PJ's are dry. I would be up closer to the base of the mountain or as far up the mountain as your tag allows. 

• Like 2

I am extremely happy to see the rain they are getting up north. I was going to go today and do some initial scouting for camping area, looking for cow elk sign, and throwing up a few cameras, but decided against, since they were calling for lightning as well.

4 hours ago, G_E_E said:

Had some luck walking the pine flats and cow calling when I had that tag 3 years ago.

Were they responding in the first part of the hunt or only second part? Sep 10 seems a bit early, but like that there's virtually no moon.

It wasn't until the second week, like the last 2 or 3 days that the calling really heated up

• Like 1

23 hours ago, varnco said:

I am extremely happy to see the rain they are getting up north. I was going to go today and do some initial scouting for camping area, looking for cow elk sign, and throwing up a few cameras, but decided against, since they were calling for lightning as well.

Roads will be a mess until this passes and they dry out a bit.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 7:58 PM, G_E_E said:

It wasn't until the second week, like the last 2 or 3 days that the calling really heated up

Thanks