codyhuntsaz

Reloading question

I have some rounds for a gun that were hand loaded….they are about 1/8th” too long for a new gun I have. Can the bullet be “pushed” further into the shell? I know that will affect the accuracy as these were hand loaded and built for another rifle I figured it wouldn’t matter all that much. I have around 60 rounds and would like to try them in my new rifle. 

There is potential risk involved any time you fire a hand loaded bullet in a different rifle from which is it was developed for.

Your bullets could be seated further in but the 2 questions I would be concerned with first are, were these cases full length or neck sized and what is the charge weight. If it is anywhere near max for that particular powder/bullet in the particular cartridge, I would pull the bullets and reload.

Otherwise, if they were definitely full length sized and the charge weight is reasonably below max, make sure the bullets aren't jammed into the lands in the new rifle, shoot one, and check for pressure signs.

• Like 2

.125 of an inch in reloading might as well be a mile. Pushing them back could increase pressure and put you in a bad spot.

• Like 2

Exactly what the first two guys said 

unless you did the reloads yourself and know exactly what all components are you’re better off starting from scratch. Worst case stenario you could get hurt or damage your new gun.

49 minutes ago, cjl2010 said:

.125 of an inch in reloading might as well be a mile. Pushing them back could increase pressure and put you in a bad spot.

I’m SURE I’m exaggerating the 1/8” measurement. I was more so curious if it’s something that could be done easily, doesn’t seem so. 

It's easy to do with the seating die.  But I'd be concerned about doing it.  I would need to know exactly what the load is (powder charge/capacity, was it full length sized, how far does it need to go back based my gun's lands, etc.) .  Basically, I would need to know everything I would to develop the load for my own gun.

The picture doesn't answer the question because the ogive sets the length to the lands.  Unless you are saying it is too long for the magazine.  Both have to be considered.

19 minutes ago, HuntHike61 said:

The picture doesn't answer the question because the ogive sets the length to the lands.  Unless you are saying it is too long for the magazine.  Both have to be considered.

It is too long for the Mag…Tikka 

Measurements can be made, comparing to a round that chambers in your rifle, but the unknown is what powder is used and charge weight...pretty important info.

4 minutes ago, Viper said:

Measurements can be made, comparing to a round that chambers in your rifle, but the unknown is what powder is used and charge weight...pretty important info.

I have all that load data…Lance on here is the one who built the round for the other gun. 

By shoving that bullet back in the case, and loading it close the the lands in your new rifle, you could be increasing pressures to a dangerous level. 

I've done it before, sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. There is alot of other variables also, how many times has the brass been used, and headspacing. If that brass has seen some use and has been resized for a gun with a tighter chamber then fired in a gun with some slop in the chamber, could see some case seperation.  Only one way to find out, either fire one round,  see what happens, or pull the bullets and start over.

2 minutes ago, cjl2010 said:

By shoving that bullet back in the case, and loading it close the the lands in your new rifle, you could be increasing pressures to a dangerous level. 

That's very possible.  Since it is a hand load, it may have high pressure for his rifle regardless of bullet seating though.  Or it may be a mild load that could be pressed right against the lands with no issues.  The problem I have with using somebody else's handloads is that they were not developed carefully for that gun.  Normally, you start with milder powder charges and off the lands for the bullet being worked.  Then work your way to optimal powder charge, and determine best seating with incremental changes.  End result can be something that works fine in one gun, but not so good for another.  Factory loads avoid this by never being hot and always being short.

If I was very confident with the source of the loads, and the load was mild "per the book" with that bullet, I would be confident in seating it to match my rifle and trying it, just like I would if I was testing rounds for my gun.  

8 minutes ago, HuntHike61 said:

That's very possible.  Since it is a hand load, it may have high pressure for his rifle regardless of bullet seating though.  Or it may be a mild load that could be pressed right against the lands with no issues.  The problem I have with using somebody else's handloads is that they were not developed carefully for that gun.  Normally, you start with milder powder charges and off the lands for the bullet being worked.  Then work your way to optimal powder charge, and determine best seating with incremental changes.  End result can be something that works fine in one gun, but not so good for another.  Factory loads avoid this by never being hot and always being short.

If I was very confident with the source of the loads, and the load was mild "per the book" with that bullet, I would be confident in seating it to match my rifle and trying it, just like I would if I was testing rounds for my gun.  

Good points. Could always use the bolt to seat the bullets deeper lol. Or ask @lancetkenyon to get you a new load going.