codyhuntsaz

Reloading question

1 hour ago, cjl2010 said:

Good points. Could always use the bolt to seat the bullets deeper lol. Or ask @lancetkenyon to get you a new load going.

I thought about seeing if Lance could work up a load for this new rifle, but figured it would be next to impossible right now with the ammo shortages. Didn’t figure I could find components. I haven’t even shot the gun yet, I’ve got some HSM and some Choice ammo I was gonna try out. From what I’ve heard these Tikka are fairly decent at getting factory ammo under 1 MOA. That’s about as good as a shooter as I am anyway. 

• Like 1

Try seating the bullet to the length listed in the loading book, then see if it will chamber. If it does, I would pull at least three of them and check for powder charge weight and consistency. If that all checks out then start at the lowest charge listed in the book with the powder and work from there.

1 hour ago, codyhuntsaz said:

I thought about seeing if Lance could work up a load for this new rifle, but figured it would be next to impossible right now with the ammo shortages. Didn’t figure I could find components. I haven’t even shot the gun yet, I’ve got some HSM and some Choice ammo I was gonna try out. From what I’ve heard these Tikka are fairly decent at getting factory ammo under 1 MOA. That’s about as good as a shooter as I am anyway. 

It’s getting better. Let me know if you want me to keep an eye out for any components. 

The thing I hate about Tikkas is the short magazine length, especially in a .300WM.  You really have to seat the 210/215s way down in the powder column to get the cartridge to fit.  Not like the Savage that round was built for.

You can always load up a few at lower charge weights and work up to your old load.  Not sure how much room you have left in the case to seat deeper.