Sign in to follow this  
Crazymonkey

12a turkey is it worth the drive?

As title says there are a few leftover turkey tags in 12a is it worth the drive from the valley and how's the weather in Oct .only hunted deer archery there a few Times.how's the bird population with a lot of tags seems it should be high

• Like 1

I was wondering if trphyhntr was kidding or not.the wife told me about the leftovers and was into going again after being up in 6a for my 6a spring hunt.when the wife is into going the cost is not a problem. Just have no experience up there in October or seen birds when deer hunting

The Kaibab is beautiful that time of year. Fall turkey hunting is pretty boring. The population of birds is ok.

Something to keep in mind is that the FA just closed several roads due to washout during the last monsoon. It could make accessing parts of the plateau a pretty big pain in the butt.994A572B-F65E-45EC-AA55-149E9DB97BF8.thumb.jpeg.644e697a5d4b6f2bc90724dcb710d0ca.jpeg

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

I was wondering if trphyhntr was kidding or not.the wife told me about the leftovers and was into going again after being up in 6a for my 6a spring hunt.when the wife is into going the cost is not a problem. Just have no experience up there in October or seen birds when deer hunting

My guess is that he was not kidding. ;)

My opinion (and we all know what those are worth...  lol) is that if you want to have a great weekend in some amazing country with the chance to see some turkeys, too, then it's worth it!  If you've not spent time up there, just the camping alone is worth it.  A drive to Timp or Fire Point can't be beat!  Long way to drive, but it's cool and unique country.

• Like 2

I agree with Stanley. I haven’t hunted (or even seen) turkeys up there, but Oct deer hunt was a blast. The beautiful country is worth the drive, just don’t drive up there expecting to be in turkeys the whole time and fill several tags. 

I’m driving up there at the end of Sept for just one night…not hunting anything and it will be worth the drive. 

If you want to see the Kaibab just go camp there and visit the cool stuff and do some hikes and eat cookies and milkshakes. Turkey hunting might just be a distraction from even cooler things.

• Like 4

I agree with trophy, my dad has grab that left over tag the last 4 years, herd one bird 2 years back by the park. Not sure where they go but its not easy unless you know where they are in the spring. Maybee someone on here has some good info that would be a game changer.

43 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

If you want to see the Kaibab just go camp there and visit the cool stuff and do some hikes and eat cookies and milkshakes. Turkey hunting might just be a distraction from even cooler things.

This 

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

This 

But if you’re driving there and could road hunt a turkey wouldn't you get a leftover tag?

2 minutes ago, bigorange said:

But if you’re driving there and could road hunt a turkey wouldn't you get a leftover tag?

Rather just drive by them and go get a pastry at Jacobs lake. But again, I don’t really like hunting all that much.