rszkutak

12a archery hunt, who else got drawn?

howdy all, who else here has a 12a archery tag this year? 

I'm familiar with the east side and becoming familiar with the west side now as i've already been up there this year once and by the hunt plan to be there another 3-4 more times to do some further scouting.

As it seems the usual for me when i pull a kaibab tag my hunting buddies aren't able to make it up there with me this year as they have other hunts planned at the same time not in the bab so I will be hunting solo.  

So far i've focused on area's to hunt in and not so much "camp" or drop my trailer in.  I'm looking for some suggestions on roads to look at in regards to having a decent amount of camping spots open, cell phone isn't required either but naturally it would be nice for the evenings.  I know cell reception would be limited to say a 5-8 mile radius of jacobs lake where the tower is.  

If you've got suggestions for area's besides the burn, joe's mud hole for me to take a look at i'm all ears but by no means am I here asking or looking for secret spots.  I'm determined to get time in the field using my boots and glass to make the best of it, but open and truly thankful for any suggestions to help me narrow down my focus a little bit.

Pic for attention and to spur the excitement of the upcoming bab hunt!

Mule-Deer-Calendar-2021.jpg

• Like 1

I did. Lots of spots off the 282 to Camp for sure but lots of places all over to be honest. Send me a PM if you want to exchange numbers. I will be solo too.

On 7/23/2021 at 8:46 AM, NewlyMinted said:

you guys need to give us another idgaf daily update thread.. that was a ride!

Semi-live threads are hard enough with cell service. Hardly any service up there unless you are at Jacob Lake or down at the Park near the facilities. Nice thought but ain't going to happen.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 8:46 AM, NewlyMinted said:

you guys need to give us another idgaf daily update thread.. that was a ride!

yea it's surely a chatty thread that's for sure.  LOL!

I don't expect help finding a honey hole there by any means and will do my best to find some stuff out west but it is indeed a struggle.  Camera's haven't yielded much at this point and were only about 2 weeks out from the hunt.  I got one more camera check till i get up there a couple days before the hunt so we'll see how the new camera's go.

On 7/28/2021 at 12:34 PM, Heat said:

Semi-live threads are hard enough with cell service. Hardly any service up there unless you are at Jacob Lake or down at the Park near the facilities. Nice thought but ain't going to happen.

There’s better service on the strip than kaibab? Cuz idgaf was posting from the strip 

• Like 1

Ya, from parts of the strip you get towers from the St. George and Kanab area.  Likely pick-up some service from the tower coverage along I-15 & Vegas, too.

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

There’s better service on the strip than kaibab? Cuz idgaf was posting from the strip 

You can get service at the edge of the canyon on the Kaibab. I would have done my bison hunt but it was boring AF. 

• Like 1

Where are the updates? Haven't seen anyone have any luck on the strip, and not much from the Kaibab yet either... too much water and too warm I presume.

There haven’t been a lot of deer taken so far in Kaibab, it’s surely a lot less than one would expect.  My group of 6 hunters only has 1 deer so far and that was taken yesterday right before sunset.  

ive had a single shot on a deer but it wasn’t a large target area so it missed the deer.  I had a few other opportunities but taking the time to range, draw etc they spooked. 

I expect next week after Labor Day will be better when I go back 

• Like 1