Sign in to follow this  
andrewmilich

Need help with muzzleloader

I have never shot a muzzleloader and am looking at buying one.  Any suggestions would be great. Nothing too pricey as I am not sure how much hunting I will do with it.  I know this year I am trying to get a leftover  deer tag and muzzleloader is available in a unit I hunt.  So I am will to take a shot.  (Pun intended)

i have a scope already and will put a picatinny rail on it if that works 

also any suggestions on powder, primers and projectiles weight and size would help.  Totally new to muzzleloaders 

thanks 

Muzzys can be as complicated as you want or as simple as you want. .50 cal is your most common. But the newer long range guns are coming in .45. Guys who do a lot of elk hunting us .54.

Most powders are synthetic. Pyrodex and Triple 777 powders are popular. Most people don't realize how much maintenance is involved with a muzzleloader. 

Most modern guns use a 209 shotgun primer as the ignition source. But cap primers are still common.

Projectiles include round balls, conical (lead slugs), and sabots. 

In all honesty, if you don't have anyone face to face to teach you or help you, you tube will teach you a lot. But I would definitely say, shoot one before you decide that is a route you want to go. 

• Like 1

Get one with atleast a 209 primer ignition.  Use blackhorn 209.  It’s hard to find right now but it’s worth looking for.  It’s oil based so you clean up with hoppes no 9.  Pyrodex and 777 were designed to be cleaned with water back in the old days before removable breach plugs.  They’ve stuck to their guns with it because they’ve marketed it so heavy they can’t give up on it.  Problem with water based powder is they take on water from humidity in the air.  The powder is really touchy if it’s not sealed anymore and the residue takes moisture out of the air and makes consistency very tough.  Anyone who’s shot 777 will tell you how good their rifle groups but then when the take it out again itlll shoot different.  Different yet again when it’s been in and out of a hot or cold car or tent and back into the field.  Long story short, it’s garbage so just get some blackhorn 209 and use that.  

• Like 1

If you are thinking about it based on left over tag numbers in 33, save your money. Looks like there are a ton, but like with all other LO tags, word is out. About 10,000 guys now apply for these LO muzzleloader these days. It sucks! Used to be easy to pick one up. Now they are as hard to get as the premium draw tags. 

• Like 1

Yep. In draws gone by. There were thousands of leftover whttail tags down south. I remember several yrs of actually getting 2 deer tags. 

• Like 1

I have an older CVA Optima .50 cal, removable breech plug, shoots good. I’ll sell it with all the gear you need for a great price if you’re interested. I’m out of town right now until next Friday. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rossislider said:

If you are thinking about it based on left over tag numbers in 33, save your money. Looks like there are a ton, but like with all other LO tags, word is out. About 10,000 guys now apply for these LO muzzleloader these days. It sucks! Used to be easy to pick one up. Now they are as hard to get as the premium draw tags. 

if I don't put in then there will only be 9,999 guys.  you odds just got better, can't let that happen

😒 My kid has an elk tag that week.

Just don't buy anything till you have that tag in hand. Don't say I didn't give you a heads us. But sincerely wish you luck. You and the other 5000 guys that suddenly had the 33 muzzleloader epiphany that 10,000 other guys had before you over the past few years. 

• Like 2

Where are you located? If drawn I'll take you to a private range for ml 101 using everything from a Hawkens cap and ball to a modern TC Encore

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Edge said:

Where are you located? If drawn I'll take you to a private range for ml 101 using everything from a Hawkens cap and ball to a modern TC Encore

This is exactly what you'd need.

1 hour ago, Edge said:

north phoenix.  would love it

I'm NW valley. Good luck on drawing an ml tag. Soon as it cools off a little let's go to the range.

3 hours ago, Edge said:

I'm NW valley. Good luck on drawing an ml tag. Soon as it cools off a little let's go to the range.

thanks and I really appreciate it.  If I get drawn I will reach out.