Dadof3

2 kids hunting 35a deer/javelina help!

35A has a very good deer population. But it can be very thick. Target acquisition practice is a must. If you are glassing, have your shooting set up ready, bc you may only have a minute or so to shoot. Mule deer are very pocketed in the unit, so I'd just focus on Coues. Y'all will have a blast. 

I thought ADA does a youth camp for this hunt in Sonoita, am I wrong?

12 minutes ago, zackcarp said:

35A has a very good deer population. But it can be very thick. Target acquisition practice is a must. If you are glassing, have your shooting set up ready, bc you may only have a minute or so to shoot. Mule deer are very pocketed in the unit, so I'd just focus on Coues. Y'all will have a blast. 

I thought ADA does a youth camp for this hunt in Sonoita, am I wrong?

They do. Not sure its the ADA though but im not sure. Russ if you do the deer camp in Sonoita its a straight shot south from there where you would actually come off of Ft Huachuca on to the forest side.  There are also some spots right there close I could suggest as well.  Just depends really where you will be staying for the hunt. The camps are pretty fun, they usually feed the hunting party and do give ways for the kids.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dadof3 said:

It’s funny how hunters can be a circular firing squad. It was explained to me by the purchasing agent and the areas Bioligist this was an either specie tag. The negativity dissuades so many people from posting. I will be the first to admit I don’t know it all. I’m a lifetime student. Every state is so different with rules and regulations it can dizzying especially if you are applying in multiple states. Thankful for the positive input. Let’s remember our sport is under constant assault and we need to stick together regardless of how we hunt with rifles bows, crossbows, heck  even a rock for all I care. 

Dadof3, I too assumed you were talking about the youth hunt. You are so right about the circular firing squad! I’ve been lurking on this forum for about 20 years and have for the most part done just that because many on the forum know it all. You are so right that we need to stick together in times like this! Well said and you and the kiddos have a great hunt!

• Like 4

If I am in town I would be more than happy to show you a few spots.  I have 4 kids and they all have some sort of Elk hunt and 3 of them have a Nov youth deer hunt so I will be pretty busy but PM me.  Like others have said, it can be pretty thick and there are some long shots to be taken. If I can help out, I will.

On 7/17/2021 at 10:21 PM, Dadof3 said:

Busy working dad whose kids finally drew a deer tag. The boys have worked hard at their summer jobs and bought their own rifles and paid for their tags. As a father I am so excited to make life long meteorites and hopefully instill a lifelong passion for the outdoors and wildlife conservation. We plan to hunt the last 5 days of season and since we are out of state do not have time to scout. We want to focus on Coues but if a nice mulie came along we would capitalize for sure!  We also plan to pick up a javelina tag just in case. If you have hunted unit 35a or know this unit we would really appreciate any advice that would help shorten the learning curve and increase our odds for success.  Any other must haves, watch outs, or advice would mean the world to us! 

62F63FEF-561F-4F3C-99A8-5783FBEEA32F.jpeg

Hey man. Sorry most people on this forum and others I have seen you post on are complete d bags. It's because they have no info to give because they suck at hunting so don't worry about it. 

Not my story or pics to share but Russ's kiddo got his first buck and went on to another hunt right after this and also tagged an elk in wyoming a few days after. Ill say this, the kid was a trooper and put in some serious grown man effort on his hunt and handled it like a champ! Way to go Griff!

• Like 2

It’s funny how hunters can be a circular firing squad. It was explained to me by the purchasing agent and the areas Bioligist this was an either specie tag. The negativity dissuades so many people from posting. I will be the first to admit I don’t know it all. I’m a lifetime student. Every state is so different with rules and regulations it can dizzying especially if you are applying in multiple states. Thankful for the positive input. Let’s remember our sport is under constant assault and we need to stick together regardless of how we hunt with rifles bows, crossbows, heck  even a rock for all I care. 

• Like 1

Griffin and I hit the road with high hopes and much excitement. We connected with 2 locals who volunteered to help us out. You never know what to expect. Does this mean here’s a dusty 2 track I once saw a deer at or rolling out the red carpet. We were humbled by the level of commitment to help us. Each day was filled with hours of glassing and holding out for a good one. We passed many bucks and held the bar high. Finally on day 4 we spotted a heavily palpated 4x4 about a mile away and 800-1000 feet higher. We watched him graze and knew he’d be the buck of dreams if we would be able to hang our tag on him. We formulated a game plan and off we went. 4.5 hours later we sat above the thicket. We decided to wait him out. Unfortunately the gray ghost gave us the slip and we never saw him again. It was an epic 2 hour hike out in the dark with our egos bruised but our hearts full of the experience.  The next day was to be our last in AZ so we decided to take the first legal buck we saw. Finally on the opposite hillside we spotted a buck and moved into shooting range just as the buck disappeared into bottom. He was about 200 away. As we sat there picking apart the hillside just looking our local friend hissed “he’s right there!” 100 yards away the buck emerged from the thicket and stood quartering to knowing something was up. Quickly griffin steadied on the sticks and the crack of the rifle broke the silence. No buck in sight. We decided to give it 30 minutes and give it a look. No blood at all but we spread out and began grid searching. Just a few short minutes later we located the buck and the celebration was on!  I want to say I’m so humbled to the 2 gentlemen who took time out of their schedules and spent 5 days helping us chase down the gray ghost we are forever in your debt. We came as strangers but now I consider you good friends!  The hunting community is filled with good people who are the salt of the earth with kindness in their hearts! Cant wait to return to AZ next year!! 

64D190B3-55A8-4691-B906-FD88CEB2E8E6.jpeg

CB7087B8-925C-44F4-9986-BC8D4634C598.jpeg

• Like 24

Love to see the success posts and hear the stories that prove there are many more good people than most think. Congratulations to you and your boy and great job to the members here who went above and beyond!!

Awesome that you were able to link up with some good guys and had a great hunt! Sounds like a true adventure 😃 and congratulations on your son taking his first Coues! Way to go!