Sign in to follow this  
105Coues

Raymond Cow Hunt

Good morning my brothers and sisters! I drew one of the Raymond Cow tags this fall and would like to chat with anyone who has been on this hunt in the past. I didn't see much in searches here. Trying to be as prepared as possible logistically for the hunt, meat care and quantity, and hide care. Pm me and will give you my phone number.

6 hours ago, 105Coues said:

Good morning my brothers and sisters! I drew one of the Raymond Cow tags this fall and would like to chat with anyone who has been on this hunt in the past. I didn't see much in searches here. Trying to be as prepared as possible logistically for the hunt, meat care and quantity, and hide care. Pm me and will give you my phone number.

Have you contacted the ranch manager? He’s extremely helpful. 

2 hours ago, wildwoody said:

Going to the petting zoo hunt, the meat is yummy.

Can’t be worst that the shoot show going on up on the Kaibab

• Like 1

You will get a letter from G&F in the next few weeks with some details about your hunt. Even though you will be told which animal to shoot, study up on identifying bulls from cows and especially young bulls from mature cows. Go up a week or 2 before your hunt and see the herd and meet with the manager of the ranch.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oz31p said:

Can’t be worst that the shoot show going on up on the Kaibab

Aleast you get one, just like road hunting.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.  I have talked to the ranch manager in previous years and he was super helpful with the questions I had. I will definitely be contacting him again. I had 35 points.  taken a long time to draw a tag. Obviously not the luckiest guy in the draws. Looking forward to having the meat. I will definitely go out there and check it out prior.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, 105Coues said:

Thanks for all the replies.  I have talked to the ranch manager in previous years and he was super helpful with the questions I had. I will definitely be contacting him again. I had 35 points.  taken a long time to draw a tag. Obviously not the luckiest guy in the draws. Looking forward to having the meat. I will definitely go out there and check it out prior.

It’s a new manager since the spring. But the same number 

i was out there a few weeks back. It was looking pretty good 

35 points ouch, love the meat and rug. I paid $300 for my tag

• Like 1

I had a yearling tag at Raymond when I was 14 years old, before bonus points, it was surprising to me when they drove us out to the heard and point out which animal to shoot, the old man before me gut shot his and that was a bit of a fiasco. 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

My daughter drew this hunt about seven years ago with 3 points when she was 13. You will shoot in order, based on the tag number. It was in the teens and below, 7 degrees opening day during the first week of December. After shooting the cow bison (Rachel) we hung it in the ranch barn, skinned and quartered it. We let it hang over night to cool (freeze). Returned the next morning to haul it out. The ranch manager will give you all the needed info when you arrive and you'll get a G&F info packet sent to you before the hunt.

Things to have on hand;

Several tarps for keeping meat clean while cutting/quartering or wrapping quarters or the cape for the ride home, should you not need ice chests. 

Bring a few friends, take turns cutting and thawing out your fingers. Extra help goes a long way.

A vehicle or portable winch, they're really heavy. Tow straps or heavy rope are helpful. a quad ramp or similar to winch it into the truck. 

Several sharp knives, sharpener or a replaceable blade knife with a couple dozen blades.

A portable propane heater if its cold, the wind can be brutal up there, helps thawing the fingers in the barn.

A small generator and a sawsall with a few extra clean blades, longer is better. Everything froze, making bulk cutting difficult.

If you don't cut and wrap your own meat, line up a butcher before the hunt, Dan Bix or Casey's are both good. We used Dan Bix and completely satisfied.

Several extra large ice chests if you're going to cut it all up and take ti home or a butcher outside of flag. 

Then all the usual stuff too.......Maybe a back-up rifle.

Best of luck, cows eat better than the big bulls too.

Andy

• Like 6

Ya, fun. I had 4 points, 5 yrs back

I brought 4 friends and dad

Flat bed trailer, quad trailer will work fine.

Winch and battery one from tractor supply. $129.00

Riobi sawsall ,many batteries and blades

2 large tarps for quarters and ice.

2 large coolers full of block ice, it will keep if taking to processor, like flag , Winslow, Payson but Phoenix 1is pushing it.

Some elk cloth game bags

Maybe some non iodized salt for hide, not real important 

We camp on hill above car trackers house.

Good times, great rugs awesome eats

• Like 2