bigorange

New Tucson processor?

I grew up in the Slaughter business and I wanna say I've heard the name Southwest before. I've never heard anything bad bout them. 

Edit: Miller's in Queen Creek is called Southwest 🤦‍♂️. Not sure if its related.

13 minutes ago, zackcarp said:

I grew up in the Slaughter business and I wanna say I've heard the name Southwest before. I've never heard anything bad bout them. 

Edit: Miller's in Queen Creek is called Southwest 🤦‍♂️. Not sure if its related.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking…you’d probably heard of Miller’s Southwest. Hopefully this one is as good since I’ve always heard great stuff about Miller’s. 

I was getting some hams cured in Wilcox at the beginning on the year and they told me they had a place in Tucson, which was news to me. But not sure if this is it either.

18 minutes ago, zackcarp said:

I was getting some hams cured in Wilcox at the beginning on the year and they told me they had a place in Tucson, which was news to me. But not sure if this is it either.

Wilcox meat packing said that? 

Unless he said delivers to Tucson, but I thought he said they had a plant there.

46 minutes ago, zackcarp said:

Unless he said delivers to Tucson, but I thought he said they had a plant there.

Their website lists a Tucson location open every other Thursday. Sounds it might be more like a pickup/dropoff location with those hours, but not sure. I think my friend may have used them for his coues last year…I’ll ask him. 

Willcox Meat Processing does keep a refrigerated trailer open, at least during hunting season, south of Ajo and west of Palo Verde, for drop off and pick up. I used them a few years ago. 

Since Dickman’s closed the Tucson community has been underserved so it is good news if there is another processor. 

I still like WGP and use them whenever I can, but I don’t know if they can handle the volume of the entire Tucson community. 

Wilcox Meats did have a shop here in Tucson quite some time back, hopefully they come back now that Dickmans is gone, ( thank god)!!!

Dickmans is still open, they just aren’t processing wild game anymore. Long live their ugly steaks!

edited to add…that’s what they told me when I asked them a while back. It may very well have changed since then. I had one deer processed there and wasn’t impressed. WGP was much better, but I agree he can’t handle all the volume of Tucson by himself. 

• Like 1

Yea, Dickman’s closed to sportsmen for game processing, they are still open. 

Great deli and butcher, but in 2008  I  brought them a skinned and quartered buck with the straps removed , decent 80+ or so Coues. Went  back and picked up close to 55# of processed meat. After that  I never went back. Not sure who elses buck I got, When I told them that seems like a lot of meat they said what are you complaining about it’s a lot of meat. it did taste good though. 

There is a new place on the Northwest side of Tucson right next to big 5. I don't know if they process wild game and I can't recall the name of the place.