Sign in to follow this  
huntlines

Public comments on hunt recommendations

58 minutes ago, elkaholic said:

Screenshot_20210722-185020_Drive.jpg

So 3 Governor's tags? What are we, Utah?!

Sportsmans have been waiting in line for more then two decades for a sheep tag only  for the dept to sell off to the highest bidder. Annually

Throughout the process of developing hunt guidelines and recommendations and approving hunt orders, the department and Commission implement many ideas from the public. Decisions are made by those who show up. Take the time to share your thoughts when you have the opportunity. Your input is critical to the future of Arizona’s wildlife and wildlife management. We need your ideas.        This is a Joke.                             I would like to see the JR. cow tags go to full price and double the amount of tags for kids.

Edited by dusty

9 hours ago, dusty said:

I would like to see the JR. cow tags go to full price and double the amount of tags for kids.

I gave up on the input process many years ago when AZGFD caved on the prairie dog hunting and I hit a brick wall when trying to get a limited number of archery antelope permits for unit 7.  I do know that a friend was able to get some season dates changed by talking directly with the unit wildlife manager, so it is not hopeless.

I agree with increasing youth permits, so I emailed them this:

One change I would like to see implemented is an increase in the number of junior elk permits.  With a need for young hunter recruitment and retention, increasing the opportunity of first time hunters getting into the field is important.  With chances of a youth with only one bonus point from hunter education being 10-20% for a youth cow hunt, one may only get to hunt once, maybe twice, before they become an adult.  A youth after passing hunters education sure would like to hunt soon and gets dismayed quickly by the draw result "unsuccessful".  

Perhaps the permit numbers could be increased 50% to help achieve this recommendation.  The increased permit numbers could come from antlerless rifle and archery permits.  I would hazard to say that a parents would rather have their children hunt than themselves.  Permit fees for youth tags could be increased to make up for lost revenue due to the difference between youth and adult tags.

Youth deer hunt opportunities should be expanded also.  Throw some wood on the kid's fire of desire.
  • Like 4

Cut all cow tags 50% and zero doe hunts statewide.  Stop killing all the baby makes.  Elk numbers have been on decline since 2006 and dramatically dropped since 2012.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

interesting. i honestly thought theres more elk in AZ than theres ever been 

Because you spend too much time trophy hunting in 4b. Look elsewhere and it's a wasteland.

Many of the Az units are turning liberal and the elk are leaving those poverty units for the lush utopia of 4b.