Firewater Forge

White tail deer in Arizona deserts

I was just reminiscing about past experiences and thought I would share this. Way north of Scottsdale and east of Carefree where the Tonto NF borders both, there is a major forest access road. Around 30 years ago I was heading north on said road and came over a rise and there in the road not 100' in front of me was a small herd of white tail deer. I stopped and we just stared at each other for a few seconds before the turned and ran down a canyon. I sat there for a moment thinking that I could not have seen that since I understood that there were no white tails around here, yet there they were. I've spent a lot of time in the deserts around here and even in the woods north of me and have not seen them again yet. I wasn't dreaming, drinking or "doing" illicit substances, I saw what I saw. 

• Like 1

Coues are a subspecies of whitetail.  Plenty of Coues in the desert.  I have seen a number of them in Unit 21 and 22 (which sounds about where you are describing).

But, with your screen name....are you sure you weren't drinking "firewater" anyway?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow! 1

18 minutes ago, bojangles said:

This one time, it got over 100 degrees in Phoenix.  No joke.  

And haven’t seen that again

Although fairly common today to see WT in the area, 30 years ago it was not so common.  I remember seeing my first elk (cow & calf) in 17a up on juniper mesa in 1986 and thought that was weird at the time.  Now it is pretty common to see elk in the unit.  Used to be much more common to see a lot more mule deer up north than elk but not anymore.  Some species have expanded and improved while others like the mule deer have declined.  I was born and raised in this state and spent a lot of time camping and fishing.  Started hunting in 77-78 but I didn't see my first elk until 1983.  Arizona is constantly evolving.

• Like 3

First coues deer I ever saw were 2 giant bucks in about 1996, unit 1 right by where they have the ram crossing sign now, west of eagar. 

looking back they were both absolute slobs. 

2 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

Coues are a subspecies of whitetail.  Plenty of Coues in the desert.  I have seen a number of them in Unit 21 and 22 (which sounds about where you are describing).

But, with your screen name....are you sure you weren't drinking "firewater" anyway?

I enjoy the Firewater. Which is why I named my side hustle that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oz31p said:

There’s a ton of white tail around there

I don't doubt it, I only saw them the one time. Many herds of mule deer. Of course it took living here 27 years before I saw my first turkey, so maybe I just haven't "dialed in" to them.

1 hour ago, knothead said:

Although fairly common today to see WT in the area, 30 years ago it was not so common.  I remember seeing my first elk (cow & calf) in 17a up on juniper mesa in 1986 and thought that was weird at the time.  Now it is pretty common to see elk in the unit.  Used to be much more common to see a lot more mule deer up north than elk but not anymore.  Some species have expanded and improved while others like the mule deer have declined.  I was born and raised in this state and spent a lot of time camping and fishing.  Started hunting in 77-78 but I didn't see my first elk until 1983.  Arizona is constantly evolving.

Many decades ago I used to see a lot of mule deer in the hunt unit north of Williams. Not so anymore. I thought disease wiped them out.

Killed my first Coues about 40 years ago at 2500ft elevation in a drainage that fed into the Verde river below Bartlett. Seen coues bucks from the pavement going to canyon lake in summer 20 years ago. Killed a coues close to the water at Apache lake 10 years ago. 

They have been in low elevations for a long time now.

Kent

• Like 3