Sign in to follow this  
VinceDuarte

Thoughts on Leupold VX-3i LRP 6.5-20X50mm scope

Hey all first time coues hunter this season. I bought a bergara 6.5 PRC but still undecided on the scope. I wanna feel comfortable possibly taking a long range shot. Thoughts?

Some say the quality has gone from Leupold, but that is what I use. Normally with a Leupold if the paralax adjustment is on the objective bell, the numbers don't always match up, and you want to make sure it tracks right. Leupold has a life time warranty also.

1 hour ago, 10Turkeys said:

Some say the quality has gone from Leupold, but that is what I use. Normally with a Leupold if the paralax adjustment is on the objective bell, the numbers don't always match up, and you want to make sure it tracks right. Leupold has a life time warranty also.

Recommend any in the 800-1200 price range?

i got the vx5 hd i think is 4-20x52 and is fantastic, pm if you want and tell you where i got it from, tax free and discount.free shipping.

I have 2 vx-3i 4.5x14x40mm, I have 1 vx-3i 6.5x20x40mm EFR, and 1 FX-3 30x40mm. They have all worked for me.

Fantastic scope in my opinion. I have mounted and used a ton of them and never a problem. Unless you have a source for one be warned that Leupold is no longer making the LRP. Not sure why, I thought they had a winner with that one. I have since moved up the the VX5HD for most of my builds, I don't have a single complaint about those either. 

• Like 1

I have two rifles with the VX3i LRP 8.5-25X50 on each. After several thousand rounds over a couple of years shooting as far as 1000yds still working for me. 

Yup as others have said go for it but ebay maybe your best bet. They don't make them anymore. 2nd amendment might have one left, they had one in the back they didn't know about a few months back when they changed owners.

If you put a vortex on a creedmoor, you’re guaranteed 1000 yard accuracy out of the box. A leupold on a prc? Gotta be good for at least 1500. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would go vx5 or zeiss v4 in that price range. The key to the long range shot Is not necessarily the optic or the magical 6.5 its practice and seeing what your rifle/scope/load is doing at distance. Practice practice practice. The vx3i is a good scope for the money but the vx5hd will do it all with better glass.  Good luck!

Leupold makes excellent glass, can't go wrong if you can find it.  I have a Bergara in 6.5 CM with a Vortex Viper HST 6-24 x 50.  It's way more capable at making the long shots than I am.

Vince,

Natchez shooting supplies has them on sale for under $900 (blemished under $700!!).  I have a Mark 5 and a older VX III, both have been excellent scopes with no issues.  I love the glass.  Welcome to coues hunting!

https://outdoors.natchezss.com/search?w=leupold lrp

Midway USA

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?searchTerm=leupold+lrp&perPage=48

Jeff

I owned  the VX III and did not care for it,I thought the crosshairs were too thick,just my opinion,look at one in real time before you commit. Leopold does make a great product 

I have the VX3i LRP. I think it is the 5-20X50 in Mils. It is on a Fierce 28 nosler. I have been real happy with it. It does as good as I can do. It shoots almost 1/2moa. Hammered a buck at 484 last year. About as far as I need to shoot. I saw that midway had them on sale for like $750 last week.