Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

Toyota Sequoia - Any good?

I might be in the market for a used truck. My 98 Yukon has a death rattle in Idle, and I don't think the prognosis is good. Might be motor mounts.. I'll find out next week. 

I was considering a newer Yukon/Tahoe but really don't like the look. 

The Sequoia doesn't look bad at all- anyone have anything good/bas to say about it? I hear Toyota's run forever. And a bonus I hear they have rear lockers. 

Toyotas are the most reliable of any vehicle out there, they lack in comfort possibly and technology and cutting edge equipment, but they can't be beat with reliability. Even with nasty off road use. I'll never say they are the best for everyone, but if you want something that will run and run forever with little to no maintenance it is a Toyota. 

So it really depends on what you want.  

That being said my wife bought a used (2014) Sequoia in 2017 and it was still pretty expensive, it has over 210k on it now and is a daily driver of 60-100 miles a day, and she could still sell it for a pile of cash.

Everything works great still and she absolutely loves it. 

Ours does not have the locking rear diff, that is usually on the tacomas and 4runners, but maybe some of the sequoias have them also. I'm not sure. Haven't been in the market for a new one. 

• Like 2

Can’t go wrong with a sequoia! What generation are you looking at? I have an 02 with a 4.7L and love it. I’m at 176000 miles and she still gets up and goes when needed. Like WHT_MTNMAN said you won’t have to do much except maintain it and they’ll treat you right!

I have owned an '88 Landcruiser (bought new) and drove it for 10 years with nary a problem.

I currently drive an '01 4Runner that I bought in 2018 before the insanity occurred in the prices of these most excellent vehicles.  My T4R now has 177k miles.  I have done a few mods (sliders, Gobi Rack, lights), but it is worth $13-15k all day long.

I expect a well cared for, and documented, used Sequoia to perform at least as well, but be prepared to dig deep as the values on any of these vehicles started raising rapidly a couple years ago.

The wonderful things about all of these vehicles is that all will get you out in the wild blue yonder, but more importantly, get you home.

Good luck,

Eddie

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trphyhntr said:

Toyota’s are reliable, but these days dang near everything is pretty reliable. Except fords 

Glad you're not spending my money trphyhntr,  😃 🤑

I don't trust any GMC, Ford or Stellantis (except maybe, maybe Jeep) made in the last 10-iish years with my money, or to reliably get me home.  YMMV.

Eddie

I would lean towards a 4 runner for long haul dependability, unless you need the extra space or heavy towing power. The v6 is as tough as they come.  
make sure it is made in Japan, and not in Indiana.  It should say on the inside of the door jamb on the driver’s side.

27 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Make sure it was built on a Tuesday after a three day weekend. 

When live in Indiana, you’re hung over so bad every week is like a 3 day weekend.  

• Like 1

With all the supply chain issues during the pandemic, it'll be super expensive to buy new or used for a while longer. 

If the only problem is motor mounts you might want to consider getting it fixed.  There's always that time in a vehicle's life where fixing it is just throwing good money after bad but if everything else checks out okay you might consider it.  You could end up money ahead compared to a car payment.

But to answer your question, my mom had a Sequoia and it still ran well with 300K + miles on it.  (And I'm hoping for a 4Runner to replace my '02 Xterra in the next year or so.)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, desertmafia21 said:

Can’t go wrong with a sequoia! What generation are you looking at? I have an 02 with a 4.7L and love it. I’m at 176000 miles and she still gets up and goes when needed. Like WHT_MTNMAN said you won’t have to do much except maintain it and they’ll treat you right!

Was thinking something around 2nd Gen. Maybe 2016-17.. not sure when the locker button kicked in though.

11 hours ago, Jimmer Negamanee said:

With all the supply chain issues during the pandemic, it'll be super expensive to buy new or used for a while longer. 

If the only problem is motor mounts you might want to consider getting it fixed.  There's always that time in a vehicle's life where fixing it is just throwing good money after bad but if everything else checks out okay you might consider it.  You could end up money ahead compared to a car payment.

But to answer your question, my mom had a Sequoia and it still ran well with 300K + miles on it.  (And I'm hoping for a 4Runner to replace my '02 Xterra in the next year or so.)

Oh there's a laundry list to fix... but most of the things I can do. I'm hoping I can ride it awhile longer.

The wife wanted to turn it into a hunting/post apoc truck. She saw a pic on a forum. The guys name was Donnie Yukonie or something.. and it looked like this:

If I can get it to that point I'd be happy! If I can't.. yeah. Seriously considering a Sequoia. And from what I'm hearing the only pain point is price. But that's a big pain point. 

image.png.f4c742d46216e7b73ffbbbef578ebeda.png

• Like 1

I have a 2002 Sequoia I run around with in the desert, and is happily pin-striped. We have an unpin-striped 2006 4Runner road warrior, so I can't compare rocky desert performance, but know 4Runners can go anywhere.

As a big guy, I'm happy to climb into the sequoia after being out in the desert because the head space is greater and the captain seat is wider, just feels more like getting into a large pick-up than a car IMO.

The metal skid plate under the sequoia show it's been used often, and the massive fuel tank gives me piece of mind. 4Low haven't found much she can't get out of.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 3:13 PM, Jazz said:

The Sequoia doesn't look bad at all- anyone have anything good/bas to say about it? I hear Toyota's run forever. And a bonus I hear they have rear lockers. 

I’ve had an 05, an 07 and a 2015 sequoia.  I like the older ones that were built up to 07 because they are a bit narrower than the newer ones.  I never had a mechanical issue on any of them and probly put 200k miles between them all.  My 07 had a 2” lift and 33” tires.  Wish I wouldn’t have sold it...  the newer ones have a much stronger motor (5.7l) vs the (4.8L) of the older ones.  Bottom line, I’ve liked all the Sequoia’s we have owned.

• Like 1