Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

Toyota Sequoia - Any good?

Have a 2001 sequoia with 220k. Toy tech lift. Legit beast. The 4.7 v8 is a great engine but still runs a timing belt. Very user friendly 4wd system, with center diff lock in 4low. Poor mans land cruiser. Plenty of space, good clearance, but the 7/8th size and fits on most trails still 

• Like 2

Have a 2016 Sequoia bought new in early 2017.  Has been a pretty good car through 54K miles.  Had a few QC issues with the leather that I had to go round with Toyota to fix and I'm not happy with a couple of little cosmetic things.  I think they could choose better elastomers where the grill joins the hood (already cracking) and the headlights scratch easily.

5.7 v8 plenty of power and it's a gas hog  - 13 mpg average sorry that's the truth.  Yes it has the diff lock button which was one of the things my wife wanted on her car.

Electronics are behind the times - onboard nav/gps is like programming a VCR and honestly is wonky enough that we rarely use it.  No apple play, etc if that is important to you.  Does have bluetooth so you can stream from Spotify or whatever.  I think the stereo sounds just so-so.

Tows very nicely up to about 5000 lb.  Haven't towed heavier. 

Great road trip car zips along at 80+ mph all day smooth as silk.  Really runs nice.

We have some friends who have one the wife does not like it but I think she just doesn't realize that she is pretty much driving a truck.  My wife loves the way it drives.

Expect it to last a long time.

On 7/29/2021 at 7:00 PM, eddielasvegas said:

I have owned an '88 Landcruiser (bought new) and drove it for 10 years with nary a problem.

I currently drive an '01 4Runner that I bought in 2018 before the insanity occurred in the prices of these most excellent vehicles.  My T4R now has 177k miles.  I have done a few mods (sliders, Gobi Rack, lights), but it is worth $13-15k all day long.

I expect a well cared for, and documented, used Sequoia to perform at least as well, but be prepared to dig deep as the values on any of these vehicles started raising rapidly a couple years ago.

The wonderful things about all of these vehicles is that all will get you out in the wild blue yonder, but more importantly, get you home.

Good luck,

Eddie

Man, if your 01 4-runner is worth that much i wonder what my near spotless 03 taco with 120k is worth? 

F5C8A1C6-6A63-4A59-B002-9F693CCFDF10.thumb.jpeg.98afc119b786b02ea12bb78911097b86.jpeg

4 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Man, if your 01 4-runner is worth that much i wonder what my near spotless 03 taco with 120k is worth? 

F5C8A1C6-6A63-4A59-B002-9F693CCFDF10.thumb.jpeg.98afc119b786b02ea12bb78911097b86.jpeg

I know nothing of Taco values, but a lot more than you'd think I bet.  Look on rokslide.  There is a thread about older Tacos bringing crazy money.

Eddie

2 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Yeah, 4x4 SR5, V6, manual

Worth a small fortune.  

I just picked up a 2010 with 80k miles for 16k and everyone I talked to thinks I could get 22-25k out of it...insane prices right now.

12 hours ago, JiminAZ said:

Have a 2016 Sequoia bought new in early 2017.  Has been a pretty good car through 54K miles.  Had a few QC issues with the leather that I had to go round with Toyota to fix and I'm not happy with a couple of little cosmetic things.  I think they could choose better elastomers where the grill joins the hood (already cracking) and the headlights scratch easily.

5.7 v8 plenty of power and it's a gas hog  - 13 mpg average sorry that's the truth.  Yes it has the diff lock button which was one of the things my wife wanted on her car.

Electronics are behind the times - onboard nav/gps is like programming a VCR and honestly is wonky enough that we rarely use it.  No apple play, etc if that is important to you.  Does have bluetooth so you can stream from Spotify or whatever.  I think the stereo sounds just so-so.

Tows very nicely up to about 5000 lb.  Haven't towed heavier. 

Great road trip car zips along at 80+ mph all day smooth as silk.  Really runs nice.

We have some friends who have one the wife does not like it but I think she just doesn't realize that she is pretty much driving a truck.  My wife loves the way it drives.

Expect it to last a long time.

Love hearing stuff like this.

MPG isn't important. Gotta be big enough for 4 adults, 1 kid, 2 dogs, and anything I wanna take camping. Gotta be a backup to tow the water should the diesel take a hit. I could probably get two totes at a time with something like that. 

And.. needs to be a 4WD monster when the wife needs to come rescue me when I'm stupid enough to get stranded on New River Mesa. 

I'm going to keep this Yukon project alive as long as I can.. but when that day comes I think I'm going Sequoia. 

10 hours ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

Worth a small fortune.  

I just picked up a 2010 with 80k miles for 16k and everyone I talked to thinks I could get 22-25k out of it...insane prices right now.

Where did you get it 

18 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Where did you get it 

Got it from my neighbor. 

• Like 1