Sign in to follow this  
creed

Elk Arrows. KE/Momentum

Decent/heavy poundage, very sharp single bevel broadheads, 650+ gr/arrow weight, tapered shafts, elk, complete pass-through on any angle... 

Lesson I learned on my first archery elk hunt. Go heavy and sharp. Used my normal arrows I use for deer and didn't get a full pass through at 20 yards. Took follow up shots to finish. I was disgusted with myself.this year I'm shooting shovels out of my bow. Well, the heaviest arrow I can tune 

I'm expecting 6 bonus points for Elk for next year's fall application and hoping for a decent shot as a complete Elk newbie.

My arrows are 150g Single Bevel Ironwill on 300 spine micro HMRs from the Vector shop with a lighted knock come in at 608g on a 70# draw shooting 232ft/s. They are shooting great with field points. I've got about 30#s to lose before I can be effective at getting to ELK so expecting some good conditioning over the next 12 months for bow and fitness.

Gonna do one of the OTC Elk hunts this year to see what can be seen and get my mind tilted in the right direction, but I don't know what I don't know so could just be a learning experience ... at least I won't be as fat ...lol

• Like 1

I have posted this before but this is a 423 grain arrow. That’s a 125 grain slick trick 51A5CBE2-8FEE-4EB5-AC90-387FF52CB616.thumb.jpeg.4f5097cf4a7a76bae4287708314968be.jpegbroadhead . It went through both scapula at 52 yards on a bull elk. He went about 50 yards and dropped over dead. 
that set up chrono’d  at 269 ft./s.

• Like 3

What I feel saved my hunt was my broad head choice. Cut on contact broadheads. I used Magnus stingers. Lifetime warranty. Beat them up and send them back. They send you new ones no questions asked. America!!!

I shoot easton axis 340’s with a Zwicky 110gr two blade. Total arrow weight 464grs. Has 17 percent foc, comes out at 265 fps out of my bow. Use the same setup for both deer and elk.

26.5" 5MM EASTON FMJ's @ 10.2 GPI with a 100 Gr Muzzy MX3  = 370.3 grains (plus a few grains for Blazers, insert and nock).  370 Grains and 301 FPS gets about 74.75 ft lbs of energy.  Plenty for Elk

• Haha 1

Look up randy ulmers write up on elk hunting arrows.his write up on elk arrows is very good info. Explains knock tuning and arrow weight recommendations.

• Like 1

I’m in the light, fast, expandable, well tuned crowd.  Animals have died.  

• Like 3

I'm in the 2 blade, singe bevel, heavier arrow camp. Need penetration to kill things. I have seen so many animals run way too far and sometimes get away all because the setup was too light and their penetration poor. Just watch any whitetail show lol, arrow doesn't even get half in. Based on Dr. Ashby's research, having 3 or 4 blades or having mechanical heads cause too much ristance, especially if you come into contact with bone.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sneaker said:

I'm in the 2 blade, singe bevel, heavier arrow camp. Need penetration to kill things. I have seen so many animals run way too far and sometimes get away all because the setup was too light and their penetration poor. Just watch any whitetail show lol, arrow doesn't even get half in. Based on Dr. Ashby's research, having 3 or 4 blades or having mechanical heads cause too much ristance, especially if you come into contact with bone.

I agree in theory but not in practice.  The level of tune you need to throw those big long broadheads straight is beyond what most people’s shooting ability.  I shoot a 500 grain arrow but my groups open up substantially with any fixed head ive tried, especially in wind.  I don’t buy the whole single bevel “breaking” bone thing and I absolutely don’t want front end steering on my arrow (which is what a single bevel does).  I think Ashby’s research is so focused on shooting African crap at 12 yards on a hay pile they forget that you also need to be able to hit things at reasonable hunting distances.  I would agree that my bow would kill best with a 325gr single bevel head and a 800 gr areow at 15 yards, but if I’ve got that shot, it will do just fine with my 500 gr VAP and a rage.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sneaker said:

Based on Dr. Ashby's research, having 3 or 4 blades or having mechanical heads cause too much ristance, especially if you come into contact with bone.

Maybe that's true but if you hit an animal in the right place and at a reasonable hunting distance it will likely be a short blood trail. My boss shot a cape buffalo with his deer rig.....68lbs, 425 grain total arrow weight with a 100 grain slick trick. It busted ribs going in and coming out.

• Like 1

2 elk on 470g Velocity with a blood sport hybrid. One broad at 40 with pass through, the other at 15 yards quartering after he walked by, pass through.both died less then 80 yards.